View previous topic | View next topic

How old are you?

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

XDL
81716.  Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote

If I wasn't sure of my age, from one look in the mirror I'd immediately think I was a 12 year old girl.
Much to the amusement of my friends.

Tas
81763.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:24 am Reply with quote

Which is not good for a Glaswegian Dock Worker....oh, hang on...that'd be the other XDL!

:-)

Tas

swot
81902.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote

I feel your pain XDL. I'm 19 and I've never been allowed to buy a lottery ticket.

The Luggage
81906.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote

I'm 24, and routinely get ID'd trying to get into pubs and clubs. I have to take my passport out drinking with me (no drivers license) which is not really such a good idea.

Jenny
81952.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:54 pm Reply with quote

Anybody who looks under 30 gets routinely ID'd trying to buy alcohol here in the US. A friend of mine was delighted to be ID'd, because she was 40 and had two teenage children at the time.

eggshaped
81959.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote

I often get IDed when buying alcohol, in fact I'll be gutted the day it stops. At 27 years old I take it as a compliment.

Flash
81977.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:50 pm Reply with quote

At the age of 47 Mrs Flash and I tried to go to a film in our local cinema on a Wednesday morning and were excluded because we were under 50. The manager came out and was quite aggressive about it - said it was a special showing for the over 50s, who didn't want to have their movie-going experience spoiled by us youngsters drinking alcohol, throwing food around, and being sick all over the shop.

Next month I shall be 50, and I'd appreciate the advice of this community as to how to behave. Some alternatives seem to be:

1) boycott the bloody place

2) turn up to a Wednesday morning showing, triumphantly produce our passports when challenged, and behave beautifully

3) turn up to a Wednesday morning showing, triumphantly produce our passports when challenged, and behave disgracefully.

Other possibilities may exist, though at present I can't think of any.

samivel
81998.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote

I'd go for option three if it was me.

Andrew
81999.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote

Go for number 3 just to prove them wrong then you'll probably be forced to do number 1 in future ;-)

Flash
82007.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote

Option 3 does seem to be the obvious choice, but wouldn't that mean they were right in principle but just got the age limit wrong? That seems to be sending them the wrong message, somehow.

suze
82013.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote

Well 1 is actually what I would do. Being Canadian, I have somewhat higher customer service expectations than appear to prevail in this country - and when they are not realised in a given shop / bar / whatever, then I don't go there again.

The only problem is that customer service in my locality seems to be really quite dreadful on the whole, so I have to go back to places when I've run out of alternatives ...

This is one of the few subjects about which I have a tendency to become a Grumpy Old Woman, so I'll be quiet now.

Celebaelin
82016.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:36 pm Reply with quote

You forgot 'necking' in the back row though.

Quote:
If you call that necking you're a poor judge of anatomy.

barbados
82026.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:53 pm Reply with quote

I'd go along an Wednesday, and everytime someone from the cinema said anything to you I'd respond with
"Eh!............ I'm old y'know" just to further endorse your heptagenarian-ness

dr.bob
82049.  Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:28 am Reply with quote

no1 school swot wrote:
I'm 19 and I've never been allowed to buy a lottery ticket.

Then think of all the money you've saved! :)

The Luggage wrote:
I have to take my passport out drinking with me which is not really such a good idea.

Why? Does your passport get rowdy when it's had a few drinks? :)

brianl
82050.  Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:32 am Reply with quote

Quote:

Why? Does your passport get rowdy when it's had a few drinks? :)

That would make it a passport to danger I believe.

<rimshot> Thank you, I'll be here all week...

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next