View previous topic | View next topic

Phones

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

DVD Smith
1269256.  Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote

What happens if you use a mobile phone in a petrol station? [Klaxon: It causes an explosion/fire.]

A 2005 paper by Dr Adam Burgess of the University of Kent [1] reported a BP study of 243 petrol station fires across the world, and found that not a single one could be attributed to mobile phones. [2] In fact, most of them could be explained by static electricity, where the driver has got back into the car, rubbed against the upholstery and then gone back to the petrol pump with their clothes all charged up, causing a spark and ignition. [3]

Fires at petrol stations occur much more frequently in the USA than they do in the UK. There are a couple of reasons for this. The main reason is that in the US "latching" is allowed, where the pump handle can be clipped into place and left in the filler cap, allowing drivers to return to their cars while the car is being refuelled. Another reason is that (as of the time of the Burgess paper) American gasoline doesn't have any anti-static additives to it. In one of the rare documented examples of a static fire at a petrol station in the UK, the victim was wearing a nylon shirt. [1]

Mythbusters also tested this theory and came to the same conclusion - mobile phones won't cause a petrol station fire but static electricity definitely could. They interview an American petroleum expert in this video ([4]) who goes into the exact science behind static ignition at petrol stations.

In fact, the only real reason given why phones shouldn't be used in petrol stations is to avoid people getting distracted while refuelling their cars. Despite the myth being debunked as far back as 2003, as of 2017 the UK Petroleum Industry Association still cite potential incineration as one of their reasons for forbidding phone usage at petrol stations. [5]

As an aside, Dr Burgess's 2005 paper also reports that in 2004 there were 42 reported incidents of cars being driven into BP petrol stations in the USA while already on fire. [1]

Kevans
1269364.  Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote

Hi :)

I am sure the new red phone between South and North Korea is bigger than the USs....

Anyway I thought these might be of interest please feel free to amend/ ignore and sorry if some of these are covered elsewhere :)

1. When was the first prank phone call?

This could be argued but I found this on Network World where they reference an 1884 edition of The Electrical World. The pranks (fully quoted from the article) is

Quote:
"A GRAVE JOKE ON UNDERTAKERS -- Some malicious wag at Providence R.I. has been playing a grave practical joke on the undertakers there, by summoning them over the telephone to bring freezers, candlesticks and coffin for persons alleged to be dead. In each case the denoument was highly farcical, and the reputed corpses are now hunting in a lively manner for that telephonist."

However there is the link in the Network World article from defunctmag also lists some more "traditional" prank calls from 1902 including:

• Mr Graves - The North Burial Ground
  • Mr Lyon - The Bronx Zoo
  • Mr Stiff; Mr Coffin and Mr Biers - Bellvie morgue
  • Mr Bush - New York Botanical Garden
  • Mr Snow - Weather Bureau

In the US this was a big nuisance on April the 1st for some numbers with some disconnecting their lines or some like Chicago Zoo taking it one step further with their "phone operators set up a gramophone so that callers asking for Mr. Lyon were promptly hit with an ear-splitting roar through their handsets".

2. In 1878 Queen Victoria received an interactive demo of the workings of the telephone from Alexander Graham Bell.

The queen was impressed with songs sung down the phone to her but in the report on this blog this blog from the British Newspaper Archive she does not seem to speak on this occasion - with the Duke of Connaught returning the queens thanks.

She did end up buying one... mentioned here

3. Phones and psychology

Hat tip to the BPS research digest for summarising these two studies and basically doing any form of effort for this!

• If you are on the phone to someone you are unlikely to notice if they change with another person unless it is with someone of another gender. A similar phenomenon to the interesting psychology finding of change blindness. (1)
  • Talking on a phone means that you are less likely to notice a clown (casually) cycling past them on a unicycle... then again it was a study on a university campus (2)[/li]

But there are many more of studies with phones

suze
1269412.  Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:14 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
The North Korean loony claims to have the nuclear button on his desk at all times. Even for him I find it very difficult to believe. At best he probably has a direct line to the military bods who will carry out his order to push the (probably theoretical in any case) button.

I cannot speak for the "North Korean loony". But while it doesn't launch nuclear missiles, President Trump does have a red button on his desk. It summons his personal attendant, and it is said that the usual reason for pressing it is that he requires more Diet Coke to be brought.

CNN

The precise process by which the President orders the launching of nuclear missiles is understandably not made public, but he would start the process by asking for the "football" to be brought to him. The football is actually a briefcase, and while the President is never left alone with it, it is never more than one room away.

When the President is out in public, an official carrying the football is never more than a few yards away. That official actually carries two briefcases; it is presumed that the other contains his own things rather than being a backup football, but who knows. (While it seems likely that there is a backup football, surely it isn't carried by the same person.)

Inside the briefcase are a number of lever arch files. They contain information on the practicalities and consequences of various nuclear attack scenarios, and instructions (supposedly they change every day) for contacting the official at the Pentagon who would actually oversee the launch. But no big red button.

Snopes

Alexander Howard
1269417.  Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:15 am Reply with quote

The Beeb has a detailed story on this today.

It also says that Bill Clinton managed to lose the nuclear codes. He kept them in the pocket of his trousers, which must have been hazardous given his casual relationship with his trousers.

Kevans
1270302.  Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote

Hi

A little tangent but Hull's phone boxes are an off-white rather than the typical red. This is because until 2007 communications in the city were run by the city council rather than BT

Link that includes this here

Sorry if this is common knowledge, I only heard about it the other day and just remembered that phones go in phone boxes... still not adjusted to 2018!

Thanks

Jenny
1270307.  Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote

Those are the phone boxes I grew up with!

Strawberry
1270308.  Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote

Kevans: I'm not sure if it's common knowledge but it has been mentioned here twice before.

Post 86.

Post 1251553.

suze
1270310.  Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote

It was actually 1999 when Kingston upon Hull City Council sold 59% of Kingston Communications plc (now KCOM Group plc) for around 260 million.

What happened in 2007 was that the City Council sold off the 41% that it had initially retained, and ceased to be a shareholder in the company.

BT does by now offer telephone services to business customers in Hull (and Beverley, which was traditionally also Kingston Communications territory), but not as yet to residential customers.

Residential customers can't have wired broadband from anyone other than KCOM either. There is apparently some kind of local agreement covering football and rugby league matches involving teams from Hull, since even Sky and BT Sports accepted it as not quite right that people in Hull couldn't otherwise watch their own city's teams, but that their broadband is both the slowest and the most expensive in the country is a common complaint from Hullensians.

tetsabb
1270388.  Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:26 am Reply with quote

Shirley, this should wait for the T series, under Telephones?

DVD Smith
1270395.  Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:08 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Shirley, this should wait for the T series, under Telephones?

It's a fair question, but "phone", much like "fridge" and "bus", has had its own entry in the dictionary for several years now, supported by the proliferation of modern words like "cellphone" and "smartphone" (and other words like "headphones"). I don't know about you, but I can't remember the last time I heard someone refer to their mobile as their telephone. :)

I'm sure the T series will have enough ma-T-rial to work with! ;)

'yorz
1270401.  Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:41 am Reply with quote

Shouldn't it be 'phones, like 'planes? I often see that apostrophe appear when nouns are abbreviated.

DVD Smith
1270404.  Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:47 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Shouldn't it be 'phones, like 'planes? I often see that apostrophe appear when nouns are abbreviated.

Apparently not, according to this article from University of Sussex. Since these types of words are considerd "clipped forms" rather than contractions, they do not require an apostrophe.

suze
1270419.  Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote

I like the line "Writing things like hippo', bra', 'cello and 'phone will, not to mince words, make you look like an affected old fuddy duddy who doesn't quite approve of anything that's happened since 1912."

Such people do exist; they are not numerous. Someone on these forums (possibly Zziggy?) once noted that her mom actually did use the form 'bus in a txt msg informing her daughter that she was currently making use of public transportation. That's quite impressive in its own way, especially since apostrophes can be a bit fiddly to enter in txting, but rather few of us would do it.

Being a North American I tend to say cellphone; to me, mobile is an adjective unless it refers to a piece of suspended artwork. All the same, I can tell DVD Smith who was the last person to call such a thing a telephone in my hearing, although not when. The who was the cricket broadcaster Henry Blofeld, who retired from the commentary booth at the end of the 2017 season in England.

For those not familiar with him, Mr Calthorpe-Blofeld (to use his correct name) is an Old Etonian of nearly 80 who is, shall we say, more articulate in the mornings than in the afternoons. The Bond villain Blofeld was named after his father, who had been at Eton with Ian Fleming. Anyways, on one occasion on Test Match Special, he referred to his "portable telephone".

tetsabb
1270635.  Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote

A former colleague would call it a 'telephone' when speaking on one of our Emergency Roadside Telephones to members of the public, especially if Englisch was not zere first lingo.

DVD Smith
1270997.  Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote

This week, French people have been told to stop talking about their "smartphones".

In an effort to stop the encroaching anglicisation of the French language due to technological neologisms, the journal that publishes the guidelines for all French government statements/publications has recommended that the word "smartphone" be replaced with the French "mobile multifonction", having previously tried to replace it with ordiphone (short for ordinateur-phone, or "computer phone") and terminal de poche ("pocket terminal"). [1][2]

It's not the only modern-day tech phrase that they're trying, or have tried, to replace with a French equivalent. In 2003, they recommended replacing "email" with "courriel" (short for courrier electronique, the French for "electronic mail"), a phrase that originated in Quebec, where the aversion to English words is far stronger than in France. [3][4] As of 2017, though, most French people still say "email" when speaking colloquially. [5]

Other phrases the French government have tried to replace include "hashtag", "dark web, "crowdfunding", "pop-up", "webcam" and "smiley", with their attempts usually resulting more in mockery than success. [6][7][8]

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next