View previous topic | View next topic

Dedicated quiz section?

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

GuyBarry
1269058.  Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:39 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:

There are people that enjoy that kind of thing, and to put it in SSS would prevent people looking for that kind of thread from discovering it. You would limit it to people that are already members here.

That's true, but I think they're mainly aimed at people who are already members. Do we have any people who came here initially for the quizzes and stayed for the rest of it?

Jenny said that there are some people who only take part in the forum for the KWC quiz. If that's the case, how did they find it in the first place when it's not listed by Google?

Quote:
So the best place to put it would be in an open part of the forum. So the next question should be - do quizzes deserv their own section? I would suggest because it is so difficult to keep such a thing fresh, it would soon lose the shine and people will stop taking part leaving a barren area in the forum which would affect any chance of resurrection.

I've just counted and I think there are currently 19 sets of 10 questions in the "Upstart Challenger" thread that haven't been answered, so that should be enough to keep us going for a while! I'm also happy to continue setting my own questions for as long as people want them.

barbados
1269059.  Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:53 am Reply with quote

One of the main reasons that SSS was introduced was because of the KWC quiz, compared to the forum the area is quite new, so it stands to reason that there are people here solely for the KWC. They qren't able to stumble across it now because it doesn't appear in search engines.
And what does the 19 sets of questions sitting unanswered tell you about the quiz?

GuyBarry
1269060.  Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:02 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
One of the main reasons that SSS was introduced was because of the KWC quiz, compared to the forum the area is quite new, so it stands to reason that there are people here solely for the KWC. They qren't able to stumble across it now because it doesn't appear in search engines.

That's a good point. Do you think that we may be inadvertently excluding new people from taking part in the KWC by concealing it from search-engines?

Quote:
And what does the 19 sets of questions sitting unanswered tell you about the quiz?

They're from 2011. I didn't know they were there until a couple of days ago. I'm certainly enjoying having a crack at them, and it seems that other people are as well.

I don't know why that thread fell into disuse for six years, but that's no reason for not reviving it. Numerophile and midgler both seem to be happy for people to have a go now.

barbados
1269061.  Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:07 am Reply with quote

Quote:
That's a good point. Do you think that we may be inadvertently excluding people from taking part in the KWC by concealing it from search-engines?

The problem was the popularity of the site and forum. This meant that researching the quiz answers - which people do - gave them our answers at the top of the list. So in order to maintain everyone's enjoyment it was placed out of Google's prying eyes.

GuyBarry
1269063.  Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:15 am Reply with quote

Yes, I'm aware of that. But as you've already pointed out, people who aren't already members aren't going to find the KWC quiz on this forum.

You said earlier that new quizzes shouldn't be in the SSS forum because non-members might not find them, so why doesn't that apply to the KWC quiz as well?

barbados
1269064.  Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:35 am Reply with quote

The KWC is a very popular annual quiz, it isn't a QI quiz. Imagine how much fun it would be to be just given the answers at the top of the search engine listing. It would be a bit crap wouldn't it?
That is the reason why the KWC is hidden, to allow the rest of the internet to have some fun with it, the alternative would be to lock the question threads until the end of January so they aren't shared until the Guardian share them. But where is the fun in having a forum that is just an announcement?

GuyBarry
1269071.  Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:13 am Reply with quote

You haven't answered my question. Never mind, I don't think the discussion was going anywhere anyway.

I support suze's proposal that new quizzes should be in the SSS section. I agree that there's a problem in that non-members might not find them there, but they manage to find the KWC quiz, so it's clearly not insurmountable. The reasons for hiding the KWC quiz are irrelevant to this discussion.

barbados
1269072.  Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:20 am Reply with quote

The KWC quiz is an annual event, written by a very good quiz writer.
No offence intended, but your reverse quiz is nowhere near as challenging.
If it were to be a weekly quiz then I don't for a second doubt think it would lose its appeal, but being an annual there is an opportunity to keep it fresh - the hardest part is trying to link the questions in the way the the KWC does.

Do you really think you would be able to produce something as popular?

GuyBarry
1269073.  Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:38 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
The KWC quiz is an annual event, written by a very good quiz writer.
No offence intended, but your reverse quiz is nowhere near as challenging.

So why haven't you solved it yet then? Do you have any idea of the answers?

Quote:
If it were to be a weekly quiz then I don't for a second doubt think it would lose its appeal, but being an annual there is an opportunity to keep it fresh - the hardest part is trying to link the questions in the way the the KWC does.

And isn't that exactly what Numerophile and midgler have done? What makes their quiz sets any different from the KWC quiz?

I listen to Round Britain Quiz on Radio 4 every week. That's based on a similar idea, where there's a "cryptic" theme that you need to crack to solve the clue. Many of the questions are sent in by listeners. At least one question in this series was sent in by a contributor to this forum. Are you telling me that Round Britain Quiz isn't appealing because it's broadcast too often?

Quote:
Do you really think you would be able to produce something as popular?

I really don't know what you're talking about, sorry. At what point did I suggest that I wanted to produce something as popular as the KWC quiz?

All I'm talking about is members of this forum writing quizzes for each other to solve, for fun. That's what Numerophile and midgler have been doing for some time, it seems, and now they've decided to open it up so that other members of the forum can have a crack at them. I'm enjoying taking part and so are several other people, it seems.

You seem to want to pour cold water on other people's attempts to have a bit of fun. If you don't find it interesting, then don't take part.

suze
1269078.  Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:34 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
If you don't find it interesting, then don't take part.

When it comes down to it, that is about right. I am reminded of Larry Flynt, an American who made his fortune out of girlie magazines. The Germaine Greer contingent (since Professor Greer is UK-based I don't think it was actually her, but same cart with a different driver) objected to his magazines as degrading, to which his response was "If you don't like my magazine, don't read it".

So it is with these forums. Those who are not interested in politics steer clear of What Fresh Hell Is This?, and it's kept a little bit separate from the rest of the forums. Much the same applies to the KWC Quiz and its derivatives. If those who want to find those things can find them, while those who don't want to find them know where not to look, it doesn't particularly matter where they are.

Whether what Guy has in mind can generate a sustained level of interest I don't know. That is down to the people who get involved, and only time will tell - but if that group of people can make it happen then good luck to them. If it's not to your taste, don't read it.

barbados
1269083.  Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quote

Quote:

I haven't solved it because there are more important things in my life than taking part in a quiz - I used to many years ago, but the grandchildren tend to get in the way nowadays.

Quote:
And isn't that exactly what Numerophile and midgler have done? What makes their quiz sets any different from the KWC quiz?

Numerophile's quiz hadn't seen a post since 2014 - and that was bumping it from when it was last added to - two years previous. So what does tat tell you?

Quote:

I listen to Round Britain Quiz on Radio 4 every week. That's based on a similar idea, where there's a "cryptic" theme that you need to crack to solve the clue. Many of the questions are sent in by listeners. At least one question in this series was sent in by a contributor to this forum. Are you telling me that Round Britain Quiz isn't appealing because it's broadcast too often?

Wll done - is that a quiz that is written by one or two people?
Do you think you will have enough questions to ask 10 questions a week while keeping it interesting?
I'm certainly not knocking your effort, but the question was where should such a thread be? not whether there should be quizzes in the first place.
The place for the quiz ahould be where it is expected to be. And the forum has a place to put such a thing - the games section - or should we have a seperate section for each and every topic? Why not have a particular section where we can talk about the weather, or where we can discuss sport? It simple makes for an untidy forum - a bit like when posts get threaded. and we'll end up with a front page that is nothing more than a jumble.

GuyBarry
1269085.  Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

Whether what Guy has in mind can generate a sustained level of interest I don't know.

Well I don't know either, but I thought it was worth a shot. People seem to have gravitated to the SSS forum, so I'm quite happy for that to be the de facto quiz forum. What I was trying to avoid was a situation where different quizzes popped up in different parts of the forum and people weren't sure where to find them.

GuyBarry
1269088.  Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:05 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
Quote:

I haven't solved it because there are more important things in my life than taking part in a quiz - I used to many years ago, but the grandchildren tend to get in the way nowadays.

In that case how are you possibly in a position to pronounce on how challenging it is? The only way of knowing is by trying to solve it. My main worry is that I've made it a bit too cryptic and maybe need to provide one or two more hints.

I tried the same format out on the QI Games forum back in 2013 and there was a small but significant amount of interest - enough to encourage other posters to set their own quizzes in a similar format. Those particular posters seem to have moved on now, sadly.

Quote:
Quote:

Numerophile's quiz hadn't seen a post since 2014 - and that was bumping it from when it was last added to - two years previous. So what does tat tell you?

And now, in 2018, several people including me are getting stuck into it. So what does that tell you?

I wasn't a member of this forum in 2011 when the quiz was originally posted, and in 2014 I don't think I was aware that the SSS section existed (or if I was, I didn't take any notice of it). So in my case it was down to pure ignorance. I was gobsmacked to discover that there were all these quizzes sitting around on the forum unsolved. Why waste an opportunity like that?

Quote:
Quote:

Wll done - is that a quiz that is written by one or two people?

I'm not sure how many people compile the questions. There are eight per programme, and usually one or two are sent in by listeners (sometimes more). Why does the number of question-setters make a difference?

Quote:
Do you think you will have enough questions to ask 10 questions a week while keeping it interesting?

I've got a friend who sets two pub quizzes a week (around 100 questions I'd guess), and people keep turning up to his quizzes, so he must be doing something right. Granted, they're the more straightforward general knowledge type of questions, but I don't suppose I'd have any great difficulty setting 10 cryptic questions a week. It's something I enjoy doing after all. It took me less than an hour to compile the latest "reverse quiz" - the hardest bit was coming up with the theme!

Quote:
I'm certainly not knocking your effort, but the question was where should such a thread be? not whether there should be quizzes in the first place.

Well, for better or worse, Numerophile and midgler's quizzes have ended up in the SSS forum, and mine is in the QI Games forum. The purpose of this thread was originally to ensure that they all ended up in the same place, so I think I can say it's been a categorical failure.

Quote:
The place for the quiz ahould be where it is expected to be. And the forum has a place to put such a thing - the games section - or should we have a seperate section for each and every topic?

You may be right, but it's too late now. This thread has been overtaken by events.

Dix
1269094.  Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:

I've been thinking for a little while about a dedicated section for quizzes, as it all feels like a bit of an anti-climax after the excitement of the King William's College Quiz. I enjoy setting quizzes as well as taking part in them and I'm sure there are other people here who would make competent quizmasters. I recently posted my own "Reverse Quiz" in the "QI Games" section (which was excellently answered by timf13) but I think some people may have missed it.

Would there be interest in such a section if it were set up? I think it was generally agreed that straightforward "who won the FA Cup in 1962" type questions would be unworkable, or anything else that can be straightforwardly googled, but I think there's a lot of scope for "cryptic" quiz questions along the lines of the KWC quiz or similar.

To answer the question this thread was all about:

No, I wouldn't be interested in such a section.
For me the games section is fully sufficient for the purpose. Feel free to start one or more quiz threads.
If, for some reason, you do not want particular questions/answers to be googleable: that's exactly what the sooper seekrit section is for: To keep things out of google and other search engines.

I don't see a problem in having quiz questions in different forums. If people are capable of attempting the KWC quiz they can probably work that detail out :-)

Jenny
1269197.  Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote

Anybody can see if SSS has had something new added to it, and investigate or not as suits them.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2