View previous topic | View next topic

Dedicated quiz section?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

GuyBarry
1268821.  Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote

[Quoted from post 1268624 in "Sooper Seekrit Stuff"]

midgler wrote:
If anyone likes Numerophile's "difficult but not impossible to crack with imaginative Google skills and a knowledge of the QM's predilections" missing question (and bearing in mind GuyBarry's quest for a new challenge), he and I have been setting each other fiendish themed question sets on a regular basis for some years, which we'd be happy to post in a new section for anyone unwilling to wait for Christmas to come around.

I've been thinking for a little while about a dedicated section for quizzes, as it all feels like a bit of an anti-climax after the excitement of the King William's College Quiz. I enjoy setting quizzes as well as taking part in them and I'm sure there are other people here who would make competent quizmasters. I recently posted my own "Reverse Quiz" in the "QI Games" section (which was excellently answered by timf13) but I think some people may have missed it.

Would there be interest in such a section if it were set up? I think it was generally agreed that straightforward "who won the FA Cup in 1962" type questions would be unworkable, or anything else that can be straightforwardly googled, but I think there's a lot of scope for "cryptic" quiz questions along the lines of the KWC quiz or similar.

barbados
1268822.  Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:00 am Reply with quote

The quizzes sit quite happily in the games section.
The reason for the KWC quiz is set aside is so that it is blocked from google.

GuyBarry
1268832.  Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:23 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
The quizzes sit quite happily in the games section.

Well where are they then? The only one there is the one I posted a few days ago, and it was a while before anyone spotted that.

There's clearly an appetite for quizzes on this forum, so I'm wondering why there are so few of them outside the KWC.

barbados
1268836.  Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:32 am Reply with quote

You suggest there is "clearly an appetite for quizzes on this forum" but if that were the case then, as you say - where are they?

The problem I think for you is the appetite is for not for the traditional question and answer / right wrong style if quiz that you are looking for - hence only a couple of people taking part. The ones that have done well have always been the kind where there isn't a right or wrong answer and they can be found here

GuyBarry
1268844.  Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:02 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:

The problem I think for you is the appetite is for not for the traditional question and answer / right wrong style if quiz that you are looking for

That is not what I'm looking for. Didn't you read my post above, where I said quite explicitly that that type of quiz wouldn't work?

We had quite a long discussion on the SSS forum where it was suggested that there might be an appetite for the more "cryptic" type of quiz, along the lines of the KWC or something similar. My "reverse quiz" was an example of something that might be attempted along those lines. Did you look at it?

Anyway, I've set another one in post 1268842, which you or anyone else are welcome to attempt.

Quote:
The ones that have done well have always been the kind where there isn't a right or wrong answer and they can be found here

Well thank you for drawing my attention to the quiz I've just posted.

I don't know what you mean by "there isn't a right or wrong answer". There are right and wrong answers in the KWC - they just can't be straightforwardly googled, and you need to use a certain amount of cunning to get the answer. That's the sort of quiz I'm talking about.

barbados
1268845.  Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:26 am Reply with quote

Yes I did read it,
And as suggested your reverse quz, rather than be question and answer is answer and question.
If, as you suggest there is an appetite for that type of quiz, then people will take part - it is in the place where you would expect it to be after all.

GuyBarry
1268846.  Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:32 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
Yes I did read it,
And as suggested your reverse quz, rather than be question and answer is answer and question.
If, as you suggest there is an appetite for that type of quiz, then people will take part - it is in the place where you would expect it to be after all.

Yes, well timf13 did take part in it. Duh.

I don't even know why you're taking part in this thread. I don't remember you contributing to the KWC or to any other quizzes. My post was primarily aimed at the other people who'd suggested in the SSS forum that it might be a good idea to have a dedicated quiz space.

barbados
1268848.  Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:50 am Reply with quote

I did used to take part in the KWC quiz, but I no longer have the time. I stopped with the quizzes around 9 years ago, when they used to appear in General Banter, before they wer moved to their own section - they used to get lost amongst the other posts. But we'll not let a little thing like that get in the way.
I'm also not aware I needed your permission to take part in a particular thread.

GuyBarry
1268849.  Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote

You don't need anyone's permission, of course. I'm just a bit annoyed because the thread has lost its way. The original motivation came from midgler's post 1268624, which I'll repost:

Quote:
If anyone likes Numerophile's "difficult but not impossible to crack with imaginative Google skills and a knowledge of the QM's predilections" missing question (and bearing in mind GuyBarry's quest for a new challenge), he and I have been setting each other fiendish themed question sets on a regular basis for some years, which we'd be happy to post in a new section for anyone unwilling to wait for Christmas to come around.

I was also motivated by suze's comment "It is all but impossible to write quiz questions that cannot be Googled", to which I replied "Now there's a challenge!" She said in post 1268561:

Quote:
It certainly is a challenge, and it's one which more people need to take up.

So I think there may be enough people out there who might be interested in having a more organized quiz effort. It's not so much about whether we have a separate sub-forum for it - a thread in the "QI Games" section might be enough. It's about whether we have enough willing volunteers to keep setting the quizzes, and people willing to have a crack at them.

Jenny
1268914.  Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote

I think the latter may be your problem. Life is too short...

There's no reason why you can't use Sooper Seekrit for quizzes or as you suggest, the Games forum. Just don't get upset if people vote with their mouse-clicking fingers and don't do them! the KWC quiz attracts posters to SS that we simply don't see for the rest of the year.

barbados
1268929.  Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote

I know historical the quizzes I arranged seemed to lose their gloss after a couple of weeks. We started off with around 30 to 40 to begin with, but that soon died down.
Yes they were beset with technical difficulties, but they were overcome. The biggest problem was question quality - it was very difficult to come up with good questions week in week out.

GuyBarry
1268967.  Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote

Well, this thread in the SSS forum has been revived now, which is for KWC-style questions. Do we want quizzes going on in two separate parts of the forum?

suze
1269026.  Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote

That's a fair question, and one could certainly argue for "no" as the answer.

I'm going to say that Sooper Seekrit Stuff is a better place for it, all the same. I suppose I'm biased because SSS is the one part of these forums which I "own", but the things that you have it in mind to do fit better with the main function of SSS than with QI Games.

To date we've never actually done this, but the management reserves the right to use SSS for "public service announcements" that we might not want the whole word to see. But that apart SSS is basically empty for eleven months of the year, and since we went to the trouble of building a high quality quizzing arena we may as well use it!

GuyBarry
1269053.  Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:49 am Reply with quote

My feeling is also that quizzes like mine are more in the spirit of SSS than QI Games, but I'll leave it where it is for now. If I come up with future similar quizzes, I'll start a thread in SSS.

barbados
1269057.  Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:17 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
That's a fair question, and one could certainly argue for "no" as the answer.

I'm going to say that Sooper Seekrit Stuff is a better place for it, all the same. I suppose I'm biased because SSS is the one part of these forums which I "own", but the things that you have it in mind to do fit better with the main function of SSS than with QI Games.

To date we've never actually done this, but the management reserves the right to use SSS for "public service announcements" that we might not want the whole word to see. But that apart SSS is basically empty for eleven months of the year, and since we went to the trouble of building a high quality quizzing arena we may as well use it!

The big question is where should quizzes belong.
There are people that enjoy that kind of thing, and to put it in SSS would prevent people looking for that kind of thread from discovering it. You would limit it to people that are already members here. So the best place to put it would be in an open part of the forum. So the next question should be - do quizzes deserv their own section? I would suggest because it is so difficult to keep such a thing fresh, it would soon lose the shine and people will stop taking part leaving a barren area in the forum which would affect any chance of resurrection.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next