View previous topic | View next topic

Peculiar Palabras

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

DVD Smith
1271162.  Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote

I like "pettifogger", which has two definitions:

1. Someone who quibbles over trivia, and raises petty, annoying objections and sophistry. [1]

2. An unscupulous, inferior or unethical lawyer, whose methods are petty, underhanded, or disreputable. [2]

Obviously Trump is not a lawyer, but I think it's about time the word's scope was broadened to refer to people outside the legal profession as well. :)

Lonnie Risckle
1271766.  Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote

The problem with your Welsh pangram is that you've left out eight letters.

The 8 'double' consonants ch, dd, ff, ng, ll, ph, rh and th are single letters in the Wyddor - the Welsh alphabet - as any learner consulting a dictionary will discover.

(Thus ceffyl (horse), ci (dog) and chwerthin (to laugh) are in correct alphabetic order.)

So, to be pedantic, a Welsh language pangram would also need to include these eight letters.

DVD Smith
1271785.  Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:48 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the correction a bit of pedantry is always welcome, and I don't think you'll find a better home for it than the P section of the QI forum!

I'm not a native Welsh speaker so I didn't know that; I saw the Mabon pangram cited on a few websites so I assumed it was legitimate. It seems that finding a true Welsh pangram is more difficult, judging by this discussion on Reddit.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2