View previous topic | View next topic

!000s of Bananas

Page 1 of 1

TripleG
1268604.  Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:34 am Reply with quote

On your site you claimed on the 25th of December that there are thousands of species of bananas but we eat only one of them: The Cavendish.

I've made banana salad with no Cavendish in sight. I did use plantains and green cooking bananas and we ate it later! :-)

Jenny
1268631.  Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote

I'm intrigued by the fact that there is such a thing as banana salad! Welcome to the forums TripleG.

TripleG
1268647.  Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote

It's nice and really simple:
Boil some plantains and small green cooking bananas, slice them and mix with sliced red onion. The dressing is just a simple one made from malt vinegar, oil, chili and garlic.

Either way the site you lifted that information from is wrong and misleading. While it is true that most bananas eaten in Europe and North America are Cavendish in Australia they eat Goldfinger and in the Philipines there are at least 3 more cultivars of dessert bananas.
Cavendish only came to dominate the market because Gros Michel bananas succumbed to a fungus in Central America.
So the 'great banana disaster' happened before and was a damp squib. At worst it would be temporary.

Page 1 of 1