View previous topic | View next topic

Popular Music

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

cornixt
1272481.  Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Isn't this actually reasonably common among artists who want to be considered as "serious rock musicians", but had their biggest hit with what was more or less a pop song?

I've noticed a few that were the opposite, where a new pop group release their most rock song first to get all the rock fans buying it, then the rest of the album turns out to be pop. If it was done in the other order then the snobbishness of many rockers would mean they wouldn't buy it at all.

DVD Smith
1272655.  Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:13 am Reply with quote

Just got reminded of this fact yesterday:

Toto were famously a band founded by various session musicians, and even after they had success of their own they continued to record for other artists. After they released Toto IV (the album with their biggest hits "Africa" and "Rosanna" on it), they went back in the studio to record the backing parts for another album - Michael Jackson's Thriller. [1][2]

In fact, one of Thriller's singles, "Human Nature", was another song that was discovered almost by accident. One of Toto's keyboardists, Steve Porcaro, recorded a demo of "Human Nature" on a tape that was later re-used by Toto's other keyboardist, David Paich, to record some of his demos for Thriller. When Thriller producer Quincy Jones heard the tape, he wasn't impressed by Paich's demos, and then when he thought the tape was over, Porcaro's demo of "Human Nature" started playing, and he loved it. The song was then rewritten and became the final track to be added to Thriller. [3][4]

Another rock band that acted as session musicians for a major solo artist were Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, who served as Johnny Cash's band for his 1996 covers album Unchained. [5]

Last edited by DVD Smith on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total

'yorz
1272659.  Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:36 am Reply with quote

The source for above post.

Bondee
1272707.  Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote

DVD Smith wrote:
Another rock band that acted as session musicians for a major solo artist were Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, who served as Johnny Cash's band for his 1996 covers album Unchained. [5]

Pearl Jam were Neil Young's backing band for his 1995 album Mirror Ball and the subsequent tour.

DVD Smith
1272838.  Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:37 am Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
Pearl Jam were Neil Young's backing band for his 1995 album Mirror Ball and the subsequent tour.

Wow, I had no idea about that! That's the oddest pairing since Metallica and Lou Reed. Curious to hear what grunge-influenced Neil Young sounds like.

cornixt
1272854.  Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote

Not that weird, especially since Young is described as the Godfather of Grunge. His 1979 album Rust Never Sleeps is not all that dissimilar in style to Pearl Jam, so Mirror Ball doesn't sound all that different to Young's rockier stuff.

Neil Young is more well known for teaming up with the band Crazy Horse, although they haven't had much success on their own.

suze
1272867.  Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote

Crazy Horse have made five albums on their own, but none is very well known. The main problem they have as a stand-alone band is that they don't really have a singer or a lead guitarist; a rhythm section is all very well but does not a band make.

Nils Lofgren filled those roles in a very early incarnation of the band, but soon moved onto solo work and then 30+ years as Bruce Springsteen's lead guitarist. For most of the last forty years the third member has been Frank Sampedro, but he was also for a long time the engineer for The Tonight Show's house band and that gig was salaried.

But if you want Neil Young with a strange backing group, check out the 2002 album Are you passionate? Crazy Horse do appear on the album, but so do Booker T and the M.G.'s. The result is a funk album that was not critically acclaimed.

DVD Smith
1272962.  Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:25 am Reply with quote

cornixt wrote:
Not that weird, especially since Young is described as the Godfather of Grunge. His 1979 album Rust Never Sleeps is not all that dissimilar in style to Pearl Jam, so Mirror Ball doesn't sound all that different to Young's rockier stuff.

Neil Young is more well known for teaming up with the band Crazy Horse, although they haven't had much success on their own.

You're completely right – in my head as I read "Neil Young" I was picturing him singing Heart of Gold, but of course he did Rockin' in the Free World and a lot of stuff more in Pearl Jam's vein. So in that regard it is less surprising.

DVD Smith
1276634.  Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:32 am Reply with quote

In the early 1970s, two rock bands released albums with the wrong titles after miscommunications with the record company.

A 1970 live album by The Byrds was released with the name (Untitled) after an executive at Columbia Records misunderstood a message from the band that they hadn't come up with a name yet, and took the response "untitled" to be the actual name of the album and went ahead and started printing it. According to Snopes, there are two competing stories as to how this happened - either via a phone call with the band manager, or via a form submitted to the record company with the album title written as "(Untitled)". [1]

In 1972, the debut album by ELO (self-titled in the UK as The Electric Light Orchestra) was released in the US with the name No Answer. This arose after an employee of American record company United Artists tried to get in contact with the band manager on the phone, and couldn't get through. The employee then wrote down the note "no answer", which another employee misinterpreted as the actual album title. [2]

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1285915.  Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote

DVD Smith wrote:
You know those apps that tell you what was number one in the UK charts on the day you were born? They can sometimes throw up some amusing coincidences.

For any girls born in the UK in the last week of 1990 (including my sister), the number one single that week was "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter" by Iron Maiden.

While any parents welcoming a baby into the world in the first week of September 1998 would be listening to the Chart Show playing "If You Tolerate This, Your Children Will Be Next" by Manic Street Preachers.

And people born in mid-July 2014 had the self-fulfilling "It's My Birthday" by will.i.am.

Source: http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/all-the-number-1-singles__7931/

Mine was 'Release Me' by Engelbert Humperdinck (!)

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1285917.  Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote

This is quite interesting..

What was the name of the first album released by Oasis?

Oasis.

This was not the Gallagher Brothers etc. but an album released on WEA in 1984 by the band of the same name featuring Mary Hopkin, Peter Skellern and Julian Lloyd-Webber. It was recorded at Solid Bond Studios and mixed at Trident II Studios, both in London.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oasis_(Oasis_album)

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1285920.  Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote

DVD Smith wrote:

Another rock band that acted as session musicians for a major solo artist were Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, who served as Johnny Cash's band for his 1996 covers album Unchained.
[5]

Weren't The Band Bob Dylan's backing group at one time?

Also, on Elvis Costello's first album My Aim Is True he was backed by a major US country-rock band named Clover. This was Huey Lewis's first band though he didn't play on the alum himself.

I'm also sure that, in the 1980s, Nik Kershaw's backing group made a couple of singles in their own right, as The Krew.

suze
1285933.  Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
Weren't The Band Bob Dylan's backing group at one time?

Yes. The Band were originally the Hawks from a rock'n'roll band called Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks. Although Ronnie Hawkins is an American, his commercial success was largely confined to Canada. He went on to play Bob Dylan in Dylan's rather odd movie Renaldo and Clara.

The Hawks parted company with Mr Hawkins in 1964, and a year later Bob Dylan hired them as his backing group for a tour and they became The Band. The association continued on and off until 1976 and The Last Waltz, in which show both Dylan and Hawkins and a dozen others made guest appearances.

'yorz
1286892.  Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:56 am Reply with quote

Talking about Dylan:

Bob Dylan recorded “Like a Rolling Stone” on this day, 15th (and 16th) June 1965, at Columbia Studio A, New York City, USA.
Dylan: “It was ten pages long. It wasn’t called anything, just a rhythm thing on paper, all about my steady hatred directed at some point that was honest”.

Live at Newport, 1965

DVD Smith
1290872.  Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:54 am Reply with quote

London Calling by The Clash has appeared on lists of the greatest albums of both the 1970s and the 1980s. [1] [2]

This is because the album was released in the UK in December 1979 and in the USA in January 1980, leading to the transatlantic confusion about what list to put it on. [3] [4]

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next