Power & Pylons

Page 1 of 1

DVD Smith
1267576.  Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote

Mary had a little lamb,
She tied it to a pylon.
Ten thousand volts shot down its spine
and turned its wool to nylon.

Piezoelectricity, another good P-word, is used to generate power in night clubs by harnessing the kinetic energy of people dancing on the dancefloor.
(Source) It has also been used in Tokyo train stations to power ticket machines based solely on the footsteps of commuters. (Source)

In a similar vein to Tokyo, the main railway station in Stockholm uses commuters' body heat to power the heating system of a nearby office block. (Source) The heat generated is taken in by air vents and used to boil water to serve as the office block's central heating system.

The tallest electricity pylons in the world are part of the Zhoushan Island Overhead Powerline in China. They stand 370m tall, just eleven metres short of the Empire State Building's height.

Bondee
1267579.  Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote

DVD Smith wrote:
... Ten thousand volts shot down its spine ...

That's not where it shot in the version that I know!

Up its arse!

DVD Smith
1267589.  Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote

I thought I'd clean it up a bit. Feel free to send the volts wherever you choose :)

The voltage isn't actually what can kill you but the current. You can survive a shock of 10000 volts (in fact static electricity is generally between 20000 and 25000 volts), (Source) but a shock as little as 0.06 amps can kill you. (Source)

Bondee
1267592.  Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote

DVD Smith wrote:
The voltage isn't actually what can kill you but the current.

Indeed.

Or as I was once told by a wise old prototype wireman, "The volts jolts, the mills kills."

DVD Smith
1276642.  Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:14 am Reply with quote

Courtesy of Tom Scott on Twitter:

Mains-powered clocks across central Europe are currently running a few minutes slow because of a disagreement between Serbia and Kosovo.

Across Europe, the average frequency of the electricity grid is 50 Hz. However, a dispute between Serbia and Kosovo, over Kosovo consuming too much energy from their shared power grid, has meant that the average frequency across Europe has dropped slightly to 49.996 Hz. This means that any clocks which rely on the power frequency to keep time are running on average about six minutes slower than clocks regulated using a quartz crystal.

Source: https://uk.reuters.com/article/serbia-kosovo-energy/serbia-kosovo-power-grid-row-delays-european-clocks-idUKL5N1QP2FF

Page 1 of 1