View previous topic | View next topic

Pokemon

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1258726.  Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:36 am Reply with quote

While today the word "Pokemon", as in the video game of the same name, is a portmanteau for "Pocket Monsters", it turns out that the word can be dated back to 19th century Cornish. Back then the word meant "clumsy".

Sources: History Extra and Kotaku

DVD Smith
1269177.  Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:52 am Reply with quote

The current world record* for finishing one of the original Pokémon titles (Red and Blue), including travelling the world, defeating all eight gym leaders and defeating the Elite Four and the final boss, is 1 hour, 48 minutes, 49 seconds. [1] To put this in perspective, according to HowLongToBeat.com the average completion time is closer to 27 hours. [2]

If you have a spare couple of hours, you can watch the video here. The strategies used to beat it so fast are explained pretty well in this race, done as part of Games Done Quick, a biannual speedrunning charity telethon.

*This is the world record for beating the game as intended, without using any glitches to skip to the end.

Carlqua
1282127.  Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote

I remember reading about some creepiness in the pokemon universe as there's an odd one (as if most aren't odd) called Drifloon. It looks like a purple balloon with arms and is a ghost/flying type.

The Pokedex entry for this pokemon states that "It is whispered that any child who mistakes Drifloon for a balloon and holds on to it could wind up missing." which of course insinuates that it actually steals children.

For what purpose? we will not know but it does allude to an interestingly sinister undertone occurring in the Pokemon universe. I'm sure there are many other strange goings on in the pokemon realm that does not fit the innocent and happy appearance of the anime.

I for one love it, being about 8 years old when Pokemon was released, the franchise gives me much nostalgia =D

DVD Smith
1282150.  Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:53 am Reply with quote

There have always been quite creepy undertones in Pokémon that I don't think we fully understood as kids. Like the fact that Cubone wears the skull of its dead mother as a helmet. That's just messed up. O_O

Page 1 of 1