View previous topic | View next topic

1,423 QI Facts

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1257766.  Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:25 am Reply with quote

In the book one of the facts on page 277 is: "The world's shortest scheduled flight, between two islands in the Orkneys, takes as little as 53 second."

While the fact itself is right I believe you made an error. I should mention that my only source for this is an episode of "Mark Steel's in Town" from Kirkwall, but if what is said in that was true the fact contains a grammatical error.

The word "Orkney" is already plural, so "Orkneys" is wrong. This correction is probably more for eggshaped, given that he is the one who insists on using the word "panino".

Baryonyx
1257768.  Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:33 am Reply with quote

My sister corrected her teacher, at age 11, when he said 'tsunamis'; she insisted that Japanese words have no plural and '[many] tsunami' would suffice.

crissdee
1257773.  Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:54 am Reply with quote

So that means I have some katana, some wakizashi and some tanto.

suze
1257859.  Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
The word "Orkney" is already plural, so "Orkneys" is wrong. This correction is probably more for eggshaped, given that he is the one who insists on using the word "panino".

Orkney indeed derives from the Norse Orkneyjar, which was a plural. My understanding is that Orkneys is never used on the islands in question, and if you as a visitor use it they'll think you an ignorant southerner.

On the said islands (and also on Shetland, to which the same remarks apply) they tend to refer to a group of islands further north yet as Faroe.

Baryonyx wrote:
She insisted that Japanese words have no plural and '[many] tsunami' would suffice.

Quite right that Japanese has no plurals as such, but that doesn't mean you can say "many tsunami".

In English, you can of course say "many tsunamis"; to insist on the Japanese non-plural when speaking English would skirt close to the dreaded pretentious wankage.

In Japanese, you must insert a counter word when you use a number, or a word like "many" or "some", before a noun. There are several hundred different counter words, some of which are used with only one noun, and you just have to learn which particular counter word is correct for use with each noun.

The counter word ha is used only in connexion with parts of a tree and waves. That makes it the correct counter word to use here, so "many-ha tsunami", please! Although if anyone ever actually says "many-ha tsunami" in my class, I'm fairly likely to strangle her ...

Baryonyx
1257910.  Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:25 am Reply with quote

I'll let my sister know, thanks suze :) any opportunity to become a more pretentious wanker

Alfred E Neuman
1257911.  Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:32 am Reply with quote

More pretentious or more wanker? :-)

Baryonyx
1257915.  Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:40 am Reply with quote

pretentiouser-er

Page 1 of 1