View previous topic | View next topic

O Series: 1 - Ologies

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

crissdee
1257175.  Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote

I like the way she wanted to mount the guy who wrote that book, and I don't think she meant put him in a stamp album!

a few hours later

Thinking on this, does pi never have "0" as a digit?* If so, how did he find a word of no letters? Or differentiate them from just a space between words?

*This seems unlikely to me, but there may be some abstruse mathmo reason why this is so.

monzac
1257207.  Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
I'm not a fan of Claudia, but I thought she was brilliant in this.

She must be annoying the rest of the time, because she didn't create a fan here, even though she was funny in this episode.

GuyBarry
1257211.  Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:

Thinking on this, does pi never have "0" as a digit?* If so, how did he find a word of no letters? Or differentiate them from just a space between words?

Are we talking about Mike Keith and his writing in "Pilish" here? I was looking this up for my post on "Piphilology" recently. Here's how he manages:

http://www.cadaeic.net/pilish.htm

Quote:
In Standard Pilish, each word of n letters represents

(1) The digit n if n<10

(2) The digit 0 if n=10

(3) Two consecutive digits if n>10
(for example, a 12-letter word represents the digits 1,2)

Did that really come up on the programme? I must be psychic - I had no idea!

suze
1257221.  Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Thinking on this, does pi never have "0" as a digit?* If so, how did he find a word of no letters?

It does, but the first zero does not appear until the 32nd decimal place.

crissdee
1257223.  Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote

Thanks GB! That was indeed the man who Claudia wanted to put in her "stamp album".

Last edited by crissdee on Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

GuyBarry
1257224.  Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote

And as Mike Keith points out, every π mnemonic written prior to the 1990s stops shortly before the 33rd digit.

dstarfire
1257646.  Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
It does, but the first zero does not appear until the 32nd decimal place.

At which point it's moot.

Unless you want to calculate the size (or other geometric datum) of the universe to sub-atomic accuracy.

(/tangent)

But yeah, it was an awesome episode. Not sure if that's cause it's the first new one I've seen in forever or if it was actually a great show.

Is it just me, or was Alan quieter (less attention grabby) than usual?

Also, what's up with the sexism/"regime change" gag? It's come up often enough I wonder if there isn't some grain of truth buried in the black hole of ignorance that is my knowledge of the UK.

fwk
1257664.  Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:34 am Reply with quote

I think Alan acts more 'foolish' when the other guests are quieter and scared of setting off the klaxon. When you have Bill Bailey and Phill Jupitus as panelists, there's no need to do that :P

dstarfire
1258018.  Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote

fwk wrote:
I think Alan acts more 'foolish' when the other guests are quieter and scared of setting off the klaxon. When you have Bill Bailey and Phill Jupitus as panelists, there's no need to do that :P

hmmm, maybe. However, he's got a huge diva streak. Remember the first episodes of the N series when he whined about the audience not applauding a tongue twister, or his joke? Or when Sandi wasn't impressed with one of his answers. I think this is the only episode where Alan's been quiet for more than five minutes. Usually by that time he's playing with the props, or otherwise clamoring for attention.

dstarfire
1259578.  Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote

When they mention lifting the sub Alan seemed somewhat troubled by the idea that they could have (but didn't) drop the nuclear torpedoes.

What most people don't know is that damaging a nuclear warhead makes it LESS dangerous. If the explosives aren't arranged exactly right, you don't get a nuclear explosion. Worst case scenario, some radioactive material gets spread over the blast area. And, given that this was underwater (which blocks the dangerous radiation surprisingly well), even that wouldn't be that dangerous.

Dix
1261125.  Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote

Oh dear, I clearly haven't been paying attention.
Four episodes into O, and only now I notice that Sandi has the title of Oversygeplejeske in the end credits of all the O episodes.

dstarfire
1262916.  Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote

couple things that have come up in subsequent rewatchings:
1. When Bill talks about the drug sub being found on the coast of Devon did anybody else slightly misunderstand the "went on a 54 mile walk" part and think "that's one hell of a nose, to smell something that far away"?

2. Why do we call them gastroenterologists when "my guts are knotted up something fierce" is the problem we want them to cure? You wouldn't go to a clown (or other balloon animal maker) for help untangling an extension cord, would you?

NIQI
1276971.  Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:03 am Reply with quote

I spotted a mistake:

In the episode Sandy/the script said:

"Agnoiology: The study of things we don't know. The term was coined by James Fraser, professor of moral philosophy at St. Andrews (1808-1864). He claimed that there is more ignorance than knowledge, so therefore ignorance needs to be studied."

Being interested in uncertainty I tried to find out more about it. However, that was no sinecure. There are several James Frasers on Wikipedia, but none of them is about ignorance and none of them lived 1808-1864. Moreover, the same or a similar field of interest is also called Agnotology, brought to prominence by a Dr. Proctor (!). Then suddenly I saw the concentric circles, also mentioned in the episode, ascribed to James Fraser. That would be a coincidence, wouldn't it? But it isn't. There is a philopsopher James Frederick Ferrier, indeed 1808-1864, indeed from St. Andrews, that coined the term. So we've got two James' in one episode, one of them spoiling over into the wrong phrase.

NIQI
1276976.  Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:12 am Reply with quote

BTW Alan's suggestion about sheep for agnoiology wasn't that far sought, since, for example, famous by Mozart's requiem, Agnus Dei is a well know religious term, meaning Lamb of God. Agnus -> Agnoiology.

Jenny
1277015.  Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote

Hi NIQI and welcome to QI, where we like a good quibble :-)

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next