View previous topic | View next topic

O Series: 1 - Ologies

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

NIQI
1276971.  Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:03 am Reply with quote

I spotted a mistake:

In the episode Sandy/the script said:

"Agnoiology: The study of things we don't know. The term was coined by James Fraser, professor of moral philosophy at St. Andrews (1808-1864). He claimed that there is more ignorance than knowledge, so therefore ignorance needs to be studied."

Being interested in uncertainty I tried to find out more about it. However, that was no sinecure. There are several James Frasers on Wikipedia, but none of them is about ignorance and none of them lived 1808-1864. Moreover, the same or a similar field of interest is also called Agnotology, brought to prominence by a Dr. Proctor (!). Then suddenly I saw the concentric circles, also mentioned in the episode, ascribed to James Fraser. That would be a coincidence, wouldn't it? But it isn't. There is a philopsopher James Frederick Ferrier, indeed 1808-1864, indeed from St. Andrews, that coined the term. So we've got two James' in one episode, one of them spoiling over into the wrong phrase.

NIQI
1276976.  Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:12 am Reply with quote

BTW Alan's suggestion about sheep for agnoiology wasn't that far sought, since, for example, famous by Mozart's requiem, Agnus Dei is a well know religious term, meaning Lamb of God. Agnus -> Agnoiology.

Jenny
1277015.  Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote

Hi NIQI and welcome to QI, where we like a good quibble :-)

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2