View previous topic | View next topic

Pathology

Page 1 of 1

pmailkeey
1322655.  Sat May 25, 2019 1:42 pm Reply with quote

In [url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0005bpp/qi-xl-series-p-14-pathology Pathology[/url] at 26:20 Why does Sandi mention the Isle of Man ?

crissdee
1322665.  Sat May 25, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote

pmailkeey wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0005bpp/qi-xl-series-p-14-pathology

Wow!!! This old Luddite actually fixed a link!!!!!!!!

As far as your question goes, it seems pretty self-explanatory. What is your problem with it?

pmailkeey
1322668.  Sat May 25, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
pmailkeey wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0005bpp/qi-xl-series-p-14-pathology

Wow!!! This old Luddite actually fixed a link!!!!!!!!

As far as your question goes, it seems pretty self-explanatory. What is your problem with it?

What's IOM got to do with the discussion ?Perhaps you can explain for those of us that don't understand ?

crissdee
1322702.  Sun May 26, 2019 4:06 am Reply with quote

The IOM is just an incidental part of the discussion. Mr Pilates was one of those interned during WW1 as a possible spy. The place the government chose to intern them was on the IOM. Being an island, it was a good place to keep people under control. What else is there to understand?

pmailkeey
1322708.  Sun May 26, 2019 7:35 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
The IOM is just an incidental part of the discussion. Mr Pilates was one of those interned during WW1 as a possible spy. The place the government chose to intern them was on the IOM. Being an island, it was a good place to keep people under control. What else is there to understand?

Sandi said he was held at Lancaster Castle. So what's the IOM got to do with it ? That's what I don't understand.

GuyBarry
1322709.  Sun May 26, 2019 7:38 am Reply with quote

According to this BBC report, he was later interned at the Knockaloe camp near Peel on the Isle of Man:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-37287262

Wikipedia says:

Quote:
During World War I the British authorities interned him, along with other German citizens, in Lancaster Castle, where he taught wrestling and self-defence, boasting that his students would emerge stronger than they were before their internment. It was there that he began refining and teaching his minimal equipment system of mat exercises that later became "Contrology". He was then transferred to another internment camp at Knockaloe on the Isle of Man. During that involuntary break, he began to intensively develop his concept of an integrated, comprehensive system of physical exercise, which he himself called "Contrology". He studied yoga and the movements of animals and trained his fellow inmates in fitness and exercises.

crissdee
1322716.  Sun May 26, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote

pmailkeey wrote:
Sandi said he was held at Lancaster Castle. So what's the IOM got to do with it ? That's what I don't understand.

Aahh, I see. I had just assumed that Lancaster Castle was the name of some place on the IoM. Guy's post above should clear up the matter.

GuyBarry
1322720.  Sun May 26, 2019 10:12 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
I had just assumed that Lancaster Castle was the name of some place on the IoM.

Lancaster Castle is, believe it or not, in Lancaster! You know, the place in Lancashire...

http://www.lancastercastle.com/

(Although Leeds Castle is not in Yorkshire but near the village of Leeds in Kent.)

It's on the way to the Isle of Man though, so maybe it was used as a staging-post.

crissdee
1322758.  Sun May 26, 2019 4:38 pm Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
Lancaster Castle is, believe it or not, in Lancaster! You know, the place in Lancashire...

This does not surprise me, but bearing in mind;

GuyBarry wrote:
Leeds Castle is not in Yorkshire

I wouldn't have been surprised the other way either.....

pmailkeey
1322773.  Sun May 26, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:

This does not surprise me, but bearing in mind;

GuyBarry wrote:
Leeds Castle is not in Yorkshire

I wouldn't have been surprised the other way either.....

I've parked outside Lancaster Castle numerous times and oddly, it never involved crossing a body of water.

So it seems Sandi said "Lancaster Castle" mumbled 'and' then said IOM. We only got a pic of the entrance to the castle - which Quite Interestingly featured on the cover of the LA telephone directory as a sketch for decades.

As for Leeds Castle, while it is not near Leeds (city) it is in fact a castle - so at least it's half right.

I think if you Google wildly, you'll find quite a few 'castles' which are in fact railway locomotives.

crissdee
1322795.  Mon May 27, 2019 3:59 am Reply with quote

pmailkeey wrote:
I've parked outside Lancaster Castle numerous times and oddly, it never involved crossing a body of water.

I, on the other hand, have never knowingly been within 100 miles of the place, indeed never knew of it's existence until this thread opened (missed that episode).

GuyBarry
1322797.  Mon May 27, 2019 4:10 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:

I, on the other hand, have never knowingly been within 100 miles of the place

Is that literally true? That would mean you've never been further north than about Birmingham.

crissdee
1322834.  Mon May 27, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote

It would seem it is not literally true that I haven't been within 100 miles of it, having been well north of Brum a number of times. However, I did use the word "knowingly", and further pointed out that I didn't know it existed until Saturday. I haven't been further north than Epping since then, so the fact remains that I did not "knowingly" get within a hundred miles of the place. Should I venture north again in the future, I will now know that I am nearing Lancaster Castle.

Page 1 of 1