View previous topic | View next topic

Politics and Politicians

Page 1 of 1

Baryonyx
1254252.  Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:31 am Reply with quote

Did anyone read about Margaret Thatcher's favourite starter this morning?

Her 'mystery starter' was
Quote:
made from beef consommé, cream cheese and curry powder, blended and left to set before being served in ramekins and topped with a layer of jellied soup and a black olive.

Anyone hungry?

monzac
1254275.  Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:37 am Reply with quote

Not any more.

Baryonyx
1254277.  Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:39 am Reply with quote

Sorry, forgot the sauce

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-guardian/20171010/281887298525482

fwk
1254279.  Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:43 am Reply with quote

Baryonyx wrote:
Sorry, forgot the sauce

*slow clap* I just can't ketchup with you. Surely you mustard done that deliberately :P

Baryonyx
1254282.  Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:48 am Reply with quote

Jus better believe it

Jenny
1254428.  Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote

Baryonyx wrote:
Did anyone read about Margaret Thatcher's favourite starter this morning?

Her 'mystery starter' was
Quote:
made from beef consommé, cream cheese and curry powder, blended and left to set before being served in ramekins and topped with a layer of jellied soup and a black olive.

Anyone hungry?

That was a popular appetiser in the early seventies among people trying to throw dinner parties that would have been posh at the time. I think I may have made it once in those days, though I believe I omitted the jellied stock on the top. It's not quite as vile as it sounds.

Baryonyx
1254434.  Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote

Just a product of the Seventies then perhaps

Jenny
1254437.  Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote

Well that brought back a few interesting gastronomical memories, though those tweets mainly seem to have American recipes in them and I don't recall British recipes being so heavily invested in horrors like jellied salads and Miracle Whip. Thank goodness we don't live in the seventies any more, gastronomically speaking!

fwk
1254440.  Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote

This was way before my time but I heard that British supermarkets caused a bit of confusion when they introduced the 'avocado pear' to the general public. Nobody knew what to do with it, apparently. I'm not sure I do either.

Kevans
1255362.  Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm sure that there must be some interestingly named parties worldwide, such as the UK's Bus pass Elvis party.

One from Australia in 1989 was Party! Party! Party! Which meets P series name rules :-) Another one from Australia around the same time was the Sun Ripened Warm Tomato Party.

I guess you guys will have a better idea and cooler parties but it is one avenue

Cheers

suze
1255368.  Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote

It was used in the show in J Series and so cannot be resurrected for P, but it seems pertinent to mention Polska Partia Przyjaciół Piwa at this point.

That name means "Polish Beer Lovers' Party", and while some of its policies were the sorts of things with which Screaming Lord Sutch 3rd Earl of Harrow would have identified, the party was not completely frivolous.

One of its key policies when it was founded in 1990 was to encourage the consumption of beer instead of vodka, and thus reduce drunkenness and alcoholism. Yes, you read that right - the Beer Lovers' Party aimed to combat the evils of drinking.

PPPP won 16 seats in Sejm (Polish House of Commons) in the 1991 election, and formed part of the coalition which took power after that election. Unfortunately it then fragmented, with some of its elected representatives joining mainstream parties, and is no longer a power in Polish politics.

bobwilson
1255372.  Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
with some of its elected representatives joining mainstream parties

How much more satisfying it would have been had they joined soda stream parties instead?

DVD Smith
1268962.  Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote

The first person to vote in space was NASA astronaut David Wolf, who voted in an American local election from aboard the Russian Space station Mir in 1997. [1]

American astronauts aboard the ISS are able to submit absentee ballots, which are mostly pre-arranged before they take off. Their current address is listed as "low-earth orbit". For the 2016 election, the ballots were scanned in and beamed up to the ISS, where the astronauts filled them in and then emailed them back to Houston. [2]

Also, I learned from this week's news stories about the New Year Honours List that the study of elections and polling, as practised by Nate Silver and the newly-knighted John Curtice, is known as psephology - possibly the best P-word I've seen all year.

Alexander Howard
1268970.  Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote

The Constitution of the United States is recognised as the most powerful legal / political document in the world; the oldest surviving written constitution in the world, which has endured holding governments in check across the turmoil of over two hundred years. It was written for thirteen sparse colonies clinging to the coast and rivers but works just as well for a sprawling transcontinental empire.

To whom then is the protection and amendment of this document entrusted? - a librarian.

Amendment is rare - it needs two-thirds of each house of Congress and two-thirds of the states to ratify it. They do not wield the pen though.

The Constitution was ratified in 1788. In 1789, a series of twelve amendments was passed by Congress and sent to the thirteen states for ratification - ten were ratified (those known as the Bill of Rights - a rip-off from the Bill of Rights passed in England in 1688). Another would have provided that an increase in the salary of Congressmen may not take effect until after a new election, but this was ratified by just six states so it did not take effect.

In 1982 though a law student, Gregory Watson, wrote a paper suggesting that this amendment was still live and could still be ratified: in response to the 'C' grade he received, he began a campaign to persuade state legislatures to ratify the amendment. It was remarkably successful, as one by one over the 1980s the states did so until in May 1992 after three more states ratified the amendment this took it to 39 in all - over two-thirds (the number of states having increased somewhat since the 13 in existence at the time the amendment was passed by Congress.

On 18 May 1992, the Archivist of the United States, Don W. Wilson, certified that the amendment's ratification had been completed and he wrote the amendment onto the parchment of the Constitution. He did not ask Congress first.

In this way, 202 years after it was proposed, the 27th Amendment was added to the American Constitution by a librarian. Congress did resolve to accept it later, but their hand was forced by a librarian and a disgruntled law student.

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1285918.  Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote

I'm sure I remember Auberon Waugh standing as a candidate for the Dog Lovers Party in the 1979 general election. This was his response to the Jeremy Thorpe affair when, as he saw it, few at the time seemed to give any sympathy for the dog that was shot.

In various by-elections throughout the years in the UK people have stood for the Suspended Students Party, Let's Have a Party, Reclassify the Sun Newspaper as a Comic Party and, in the 1981 Crosby by-election a student from Hayes in London stood as Tarquin Fin Tim Lin Blin Bus Stop Ftang Ftang Ole Biscuit Barrel. He received 223 votes and came fifth out of nine candidates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Election_Night_Special

Page 1 of 1