View previous topic | View next topic

Richard Nixon

Page 1 of 1

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1253639.  Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote

I've recently looked at the QI website and discovered that Richard Nixon was the first US president to visit all 50 states.

This is absolutely correct but then you have said that he was the first US president to visit China. This is wrong.

The very first was President Grant. After leaving office in 1877 (US presidents retain that rank after leaving office) he and his wife embarked on a world tour. After visiting Hong Kong, they entered China proper, visiting Canton, Shanghai and Beijing. He declined an interview with the Emperor, then a 7-year-old child but did meet the Head of Government, Prince Gong and Li Hongzhang, a leading general. They discussed China's dispute with Japan over the Ryukyu Islands and Grant helped both sides to an agreement. After visiting Japan and meeting the Meiji Emperor Grant convinced China to agree to Japan's acquisition and the two sides avoided war.

Nixon is the first to visit China in an official, governmental capacity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-presidency_of_Ulysses_S._Grant

Jenny
1253708.  Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote

Perhaps if we said Nixon was the first sitting US President it would be nearer the mark. It's true that former Presidents retain the title, but they don't retain any of the powers of the position.

Alfred E Neuman
1253728.  Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote

They might still be called president, but they’re not the president after leaving office. Not the same thing at all.

suze
1253761.  Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote

It's not, but suppose that - for reasons which I cannot really imagine - A B de Villiers takes a trip to Ulaanbaatar next week.

Would you accept the claim that this made him "the first South African test cricketer to visit Mongolia", even if he hadn't gone there to play cricket and indeed appears no longer to be a test cricketer?

Alfred E Neuman
1253867.  Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote

The best way I can answer that is to say that, while I'd not really be surprised or upset if someone said that, I'd never phrase it that way myself. If I were to describe him in terms of his test career I'd either say that he used to play test cricket or that he's an ex-test cricketer.

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1313994.  Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Perhaps if we said Nixon was the first sitting US President it would be nearer the mark. It's true that former Presidents retain the title, but they don't retain any of the powers of the position.

I've just found out that Dwight D Eisenhower was the only ex-POTUS to renounce the title of President upon leaving office. On retirement he moved to his Gettysburg ranch to raise cattle but continued to advise Presidents Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon. After leaving office he petitioned Kennedy to restore his commission of 5-star general. Kennedy couldn't understand this at first until an adviser pointed out that Ike had devoted his life to the army and had only stumbled into being President.

So Kennedy signed off and Eisenhower became General Eisenhower once again.

https://www.quora.com/topic/Facts-and-Trivia

Page 1 of 1