View previous topic | View next topic

Daylight saving

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

fwk
1253523.  Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote

Is it a better or worse idea than the Romans dividing up the day with 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of night?

crissdee
1253552.  Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
I think they should put the clocks forward/back to the mid position next time, then just leave the bloody things alone! If it's dark, put the lights on!

I realise there are probably technical reasons why this couldn't be done, but I can dream........

Prof Wind Up Merchant wrote:
I believe we should scrap the time changes as they don't serve the purpose it was mean to have. I propose turning the clocks back 30 minutes and never change them again.

suze wrote:
30 minutes! Aaarghhhh!

That would make life much too complicated, because figuring out what time it is in other lands would now involve fractions.

So I was right!

GuyBarry
1253564.  Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:54 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

Sure, there are a handful of places which use a time zone with a 30 minutes offset.

And an even smaller number of places with a 45-minute offset. See Nepal Standard Time.

Alfred E Neuman
1253608.  Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:22 am Reply with quote

How often do you need to know exactly what the time is in another part of the world?

I attend at least three or four online meetings with colleagues based in the US, Germany, India, Chine and the Philippines. I have an idea of what the time is there, but could easily be out by an hour or two, but it doesnít matter - my calendar reminds me fifteen minutes before the meeting. I then go and make a cup of tea or coffee, and connect.

Even if youíre pedantic enough to need to know, half hours arenít rocket science.

'yorz
1253636.  Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:02 am Reply with quote

I need to know when I can call my mother in Oz, and consult the online World Clock. The time difference can change.

Baryonyx
1253956.  Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:42 am Reply with quote

If you go to India from the UK (or, more accurately, somewhere with UTC) turn your (analogue) watch upside down and the hands will point to the correct time. Interesting quirk of being 5.5 hours ahead.

Source: Jonathan Agnew on TMS

GuyBarry
1253984.  Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:42 am Reply with quote

Doesn't quite work, unfortunately. If it's noon UTC and you turn your watch upside-down, then both hands will point towards the 6. The minute hand will be in the right position, but the hour hand will be half an hour out. The display could be taken to indicate 6.30 just as easily as 5.30.

Baryonyx
1253990.  Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quote

All things considered it's a pretty good lifehack though, right?

GuyBarry
1253991.  Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:59 am Reply with quote

I think it'd be less confusing to simply change the time on your watch!

crissdee
1254051.  Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:59 am Reply with quote

The hour hand will always be half an hour out, no matter what time it is.

AlmondFacialBar
1254064.  Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote

I frequently have meeting between here, Hyderabad, Manila, and Tokyo. Whichever time of year and however you juggle it, with that set-up one location will always be fucked.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

monzac
1254265.  Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:15 am Reply with quote

Tom Scott: The Problem with Time & Timezones

Time zones and computer programming problems: He mentions Australia as 9.5 hours ahead of GMT. Must be South Australia, which is where Brady Haran is from, so that makes sense, because this is from Computerphile, one of Brady's channels.

Be glad you're not living in the West bank, if you think time zones are hard to deal with :/

gruff5
1254565.  Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:37 am Reply with quote

fwk wrote:
Is it a better or worse idea than the Romans dividing up the day with 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of night?

Ahem, Egyptians originated this - by picking out the rising/setting of 12 stars at night and then replicating the idea for daytime.

fwk
1254581.  Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:53 am Reply with quote

I did not know that, thanks. I'll have to read about it.

dr.bob
1254594.  Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:28 am Reply with quote

The Japanese also did this. There's a great exhibit in the Japanese room of the British Museum of an early Japanese clock. Clocks were invented in Europe and exported to Japan when trade between the two was established.

The British Museum exhibit explains that early Japanese clocks had to include a complicated mechanism to vary the length of the hours so that each day and night were divided into 12 hours, no matter what the time of year.

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next