View previous topic | View next topic

Daylight saving

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

'yorz
1252951.  Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote

I wouldn't have any problem just rolling with the tide, so to speak.

 
Alfred E Neuman
1252959.  Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
Alfred E Neuman wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:
It's only about a hundred years old anyway. The first country to adopt it was Germany in 1916. Britain followed suit shortly afterwards.


And perhaps it made sense 100 years ago when dark was dark, but these days, what's the actual point?


I can assure you that it's still as dark now as it was 100 years ago. No one's created extra sunlight.


In a word, bullshit.

Are you not familiar with light pollution? And maybe you’ve noticed that artificial lighting has been developed to quite far in the last 100 years, both in brightness and efficiency.

Not only that, but heath and safety laws mean that even in daylight, most workplaces use artificial lighting. We’re no longer expected to labour away in Victorian sweatshops.

And as for the patronizing tone of the rest of your post, you can shove it. I’m well aware of why daylight saving is done, I just don’t agree with your argument. No matter what you think, that doesn’t make me an imbecile.

 
Leith
1252966.  Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
But at this time of year, it makes no sense to me. Creating dark, gloomy mornings just so that people can have a bit of extra daylight at the end of the working day seems pointless. And it creates a horrible jolt at the end of October, when the evenings are suddenly plunged into darkness. No one likes it, in my experience.

Works for me. I prefer to have the extra daylight for my leisure time, i.e. after work. Mornings are mainly about getting from bed to the coffee machine at work as painlessly as possible for me. I don't especially like getting up in the dark, but I like going home in the dark even less.

I have a certain antipathy towards the principle of daylight savings time that comes from working as a software engineer, but if it was to be done away with, I'd prefer the clocks to be left forward.

At the moment, though, I'm quite enjoying watching the sunrises from my balcony, which coincide nicely with breakfast time this week.

 
'yorz
1252967.  Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote

@ Leith: You still haven't told me about your usage of the lifesaving word 'truc'. :-)

 
suze
1252970.  Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
But at this time of year, it makes no sense to me. Creating dark, gloomy mornings just so that people can have a bit of extra daylight at the end of the working day seems pointless. And it creates a horrible jolt at the end of October, when the evenings are suddenly plunged into darkness. No one likes it, in my experience.


The opinion of the education sector in England tends to be that it's better to have light mornings and dark evenings than the reverse. Maybe kids ought to get up earlier rather than falling out of bed and stumbling straight off to school, but they're not going to and so it's preferable that they do it in daylight. That might perhaps suggest that we shouldn't use DST at all.


The notion of having DST all year round is strongly opposed in Scotland, because it would mean that sunrise in Shetland in December wouldn't be until after 10 am.

 
Leith
1252974.  Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
@ Leith: You still haven't told me about your usage of the lifesaving word 'truc'. :-)

Did too! See the Iraq thread (not that there's much to tell)

 
monzac
1252984.  Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote

Leith wrote:
I prefer to have the extra daylight for my leisure time, i.e. after work. Mornings are mainly about getting from bed to the coffee machine at work as painlessly as possible for me. I don't especially like getting up in the dark, but I like going home in the dark even less.

I have a certain antipathy towards the principle of daylight savings time that comes from working as a software engineer, but if it was to be done away with, I'd prefer the clocks to be left forward.


That's pretty much my feeling about it. I'm not doing much in the morning except what's necessary to get to work. I've even come to like my morning travels in the dark. Getting home in the dark is a different matter and the return to standard time makes the shortening of the days happen rapidly.

I'd be happy to leave the clocks forward all year round too.

 
franticllama
1252985.  Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:
Alfred E Neuman wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:
It's only about a hundred years old anyway. The first country to adopt it was Germany in 1916. Britain followed suit shortly afterwards.


And perhaps it made sense 100 years ago when dark was dark, but these days, what's the actual point?


I can assure you that it's still as dark now as it was 100 years ago. No one's created extra sunlight.


In a word, bullshit.

Are you not familiar with light pollution? And maybe you’ve noticed that artificial lighting has been developed to quite far in the last 100 years, both in brightness and efficiency.

Not only that, but heath and safety laws mean that even in daylight, most workplaces use artificial lighting. We’re no longer expected to labour away in Victorian sweatshops.


Er, I hate to break it to you but not everyone lives in the same area as you. Light pollution is much less of a thing in SA outside of the main cities and I don't think All lives near enough to say of them for it to be a factor.
Health and safety laws are different around the world as well.

Admittedly that is just an aside since SA doesn't observe daylight savings.

 
'yorz
1252993.  Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Are you mixing posters up, frantic, or am I going doolallie?

 
monzac
1252995.  Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote

Might just be a typo of 'All' for 'Alf'. AEN has pointed out that they don't do DST where he lives.

There is light pollution, which is mostly an urban thing. Also there's street lighting that means in built up areas it's not a 'dark' as it was 100 years ago.

Now I'm yearning for the country and proper darkness, which you just can't experience where I live.

 
'yorz
1252999.  Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote

Of course I knew All was Alf. It's just that the way it's written she seems to reply to ALF iso GB. I was confused. And it was late. :-)

 
franticllama
1253005.  Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:09 am Reply with quote

Apologies, of course all was meant to be Alf. The perils of posting from a phone that thinks it knows what I want to say

 
crissdee
1253006.  Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote

monzac wrote:
Now I'm yearning for the country and proper darkness, which you just can't experience where I live.



Me too, and I get to go there on Saturday!!!!!!!

 
monzac
1253008.  Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:25 am Reply with quote

Lucky you :)

Enjoy seeing some stars.

 
PDR
1253009.  Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:27 am Reply with quote

monzac wrote:

Now I'm yearning for the country and proper darkness, which you just can't experience where I live.


That was one of the wonderful things when I was at Woomera. In the evenings I'd often drive a few miles up the Stuart Highway to get away from even the limited light pollution from the village and then spend time drinking in the silence and staring at the glorious starfield.

PDR

 

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group