View previous topic | View next topic

Introduction of gay marriage in Great Britain

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

swot
1290495.  Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:42 am Reply with quote

Oh yes. So much paperwork, and so much to pay for it. I had to pay over the phone with my credit card for the initial chat with the registrar, then we had to pay when we went to the office to show her our birth certificates, then it cost ALL OF THE MONEY for the registrar to go to the venue and perform the service (would have been less than £50 if we'd married in the register office, but it would have been less pretty, so...). The words can be a bit different though. I'll see if we kept the booklet with the service advice on it (we went with the civil marriage, obvs).

swot
1290496.  Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:51 am Reply with quote

I must have finally chucked it out. It had three variations on the legal set of words, with more or less for the couple to say (either you could say the relevant words, or the registrar could say them and then you agreed to them). I presume they do it this way so that people with dreadful speech impediments don't have to stumble through a long couple of sentences when they can just say "Yes".

cornixt
1290513.  Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote

For my Kentish civil wedding, "I do" was not an option. I forget what the other one was, but we settled on the "I will" series of answers.

During the service, the celebrant went on for a while with a long speech then suddenly stopped. At this point I realised that we were supposed to give a joint response but neither of us had been paying attention so we didn't. I blurted out "Er, we will?" while my almost-wife just looked confused and everyone else nervously laughed. After a bit of confirmation that we'd both just zoned-out and weren't having second thoughts, we got a do-over and I tried to pay a bit more attention after that.

Jenny
1290516.  Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote

We got married overlooking the ocean in Cape Elizabeth, Maine. Conveniently this was at a nice hotel which also catered the reception. The person performing the ceremony was a Unitarian minister. We (being old and sentimental types) actually rather liked the wording of most of the C of E wedding service, but we rewrote it to take Jesus out of it.

suze
1290525.  Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:39 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
After posting my original point, I had a vague memory of saying "I will" rather than "I do" at my wedding. I'm not sure why, but I think it might have been some kind of Catholic vs Anglican thing.

I think it's more of a British / American thing. The form of marriage given in the Book of Common Prayer prescribes "I will", and so that is conventional in Britain. "I do" is more common in North America, and people who haven't been married tend to think that it's "I do" because it's what they've seen in the movies.

In practice though, unless you are a member of the Royal Family and your wedding is live on television, the priest or registrar isn't going to get upset if you say the wrong one. After all, Diana got Charles's name wrong when they were married live on television, and neither party tried to use this as ground for annulment.

In all honesty, I can't remember precisely what I said either time!

NB Was this on the show once? Stephen asked (something like) "What do you say when you get married", and there was a klaxon for "I do"?

Alfred E Neuman
1290533.  Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
In all honesty, I can't remember precisely what I said either time!

I used “Yes dear” during the rehearsal for my second one. The bride warned me not to try that on the day...

GuyBarry
1297237.  Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:37 am Reply with quote

At long last, the Government has announced that civil partnerships will be extended to opposite-sex couples:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45714032

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3