View previous topic | View next topic

Introduction of gay marriage in Great Britain

Page 1 of 1

GuyBarry
1252614.  Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote

franticllama wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:

Right, well I agree that the decision to allow gay marriage in the UK was the correct one. The question was - as I remember it - whether the decision to raise the issue of gay marriage in the UK was the correct one in the first place. I'm still not entirely convinced that it was, because it's created divisions that weren't there before the question was raised. But I wouldn't want to go back on the decision now.

Are you really saying you would have preferred that gay and straight people* should be treated differently?

No I'm not. When the gay marriage legislation was brought in, we moved from a situation where gay and straight people were treated broadly the same (one option for each) to one where they are treated differently (two options for gay people, one for straight people). So I think that the legislation increased inequality rather than reducing it. That may not have been the intention, but it's been an unfortunate and controversial side-effect.

Quote:
If gay marriage was never raised as an issue then the natural conclusion is that you were happy with things as they were. Where a gay partner is treated as less than a straight partner

But that wasn't the situation between 2004 and 2013, where gay and straight couples had essentially the same rights. (For the avoidance of any confusion, I would not support going back to the pre-2004 situation where there were no civil partnerships.)

Page 1 of 1