View previous topic | View next topic

Will Master Fry please point out this "Holland" of

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

samivel
73904.  Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:28 am Reply with quote

Stefan Linnemann wrote:
I charge you to fom now on start calling each and every Scotsman you meet "Englishman", untill you concede the point. You can write us from hopital when you do.
If you can write. Otherwise, just have a nurse write it down for you.

If you can talk.

Stefan.

There is a slight difference here, though - no Scot would ever refer to themselves as English, but there are Dutch people who say they're from Holland.

Stefan Linnemann
73906.  Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:39 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:

There is a slight difference here, though - no Scot would ever refer to themselves as English, but there are Dutch people who say they're from Holland.

Since when is ignorance an exuse in this QI world?

There are refreshingly few Dutchmen frmo th provinces outside North- and South-Holland, who'll refer to themselves as being from Holland, so the analogy stands again. Try my Scotsman therapry with the Frisiana, for instace, and you'll notice.

Stefan,

suze
73909.  Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:57 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
No Scot would ever refer to themselves as English.

Tony Blair?

No Canadian would ever call him/herself American, but it happens so often that I've practically stopped noticing when I get accused of being an American. If I am alleged to support Bush I sometimes find it necessary to point out that Canada opposed the Iraq war, but otherwise I just don't bother.

I believe that New Zealanders have a similar issue re being called Australian, Austrians re being called German and similarly elsewhere.

Is the same true of Flemish speaking Belgians and being called Dutch?

QI Individual
73911.  Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:05 am Reply with quote

You'll never convince the footy (and other sports) supporters though.

Best not lose any sleep over it.

swot
73923.  Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote

Hurrah, I've learned something! I'm now slightly less dense about geography than I was before.

Stefan Linnemann
73927.  Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:30 am Reply with quote

QI Individual wrote:
You'll never convince the footy (and other sports) supporters though.

Best not lose any sleep over it.

Indeed. Especially, since the most emphatic footie supporters are not generally noted for their intelligence or wit, I think it best to leave them alone. I'm already gratified that whats-his-name, the most frequent TV-commentator on international matches, seems to have been informed of the fact: the last few tmies I heard him, he talked of "the Netherlands" where before he said "Holland", and even persisted in it when talking with Gullit, who used "Holland". Ah well, Gullit, again not the brightest light in the sky, not?

My aims are first any intelligent people, then teachers, then maybe a few politicians, and simply hope for the next generations. Footie fans will never learn anything at all, so let them use "Holland', the poor mites.

Stefan.

Anachronism
73953.  Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:40 am Reply with quote

Stefan, I was going to make a similar comment! If I remember correctly, Stephen also incorrectly used "Holland" during the recent recordings.

According to one of my friends, even her geography textbook refers to the Netherlands as Holland. Also, whilst reading about the recent Pinkpop festival in Limburg I was irritated to find that many sites claimed that it was in Holland.

Maybe this could make for an interesting question in a future series: "What is the capital of Holland?" The obvious and incorrent answer being "Amsterdam", the correct answer being "Which one?"

*Sighs* Oh, I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't get so worked up about it. My family do, technically, come from Holland. Well, North Holland.

Stefan Linnemann
73994.  Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote

Anachronism wrote:
Stefan, I was going to make a similar comment! If I remember correctly, Stephen also incorrectly used "Holland" during the recent recordings.

Maybe this could make for an interesting question in a future series: "What is the capital of Holland?" The obvious and incorrent answer being "Amsterdam", the correct answer being "Which one?"

*Sighs* Oh, I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't get so worked up about it. My family do, technically, come from Holland. Well, North Holland.

Damn an blast, and triple damn. You just gave away a prefect question for my Dutch Trivia thread, along with the anser and pitfall. So, no score.

Stephen's gross error was the inspiration behind this thread, see my initial post. I think it was the last of the C-series, or the one but last. We'll see again when the repeat rolls by on BBC2, they are currently repeating.

Stefan,
who beat you to initiating this debate, and is also himself from the extinct Holland, well, South Holland (since 1812).

grizzly
74004.  Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote

Are you saying that before 1812 you came from a different part of Holland...

Stefan Linnemann
74026.  Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote

grizzly wrote:

:-) No, I was inetnding to say, that before 1812 there was no "South-Holland" to come from.

But well done for Creative Misunderstanding.

Anachronism
74072.  Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote

Stefan Linnemann wrote:

Damn an blast, and triple damn. You just gave away a prefect question for my Dutch Trivia thread, along with the anser and pitfall. So, no score.

Oops, sorry!

Stefan Linnemann
74077.  Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:51 pm Reply with quote

Anachronism wrote:

Oops, sorry!

Well, no use crying over spilt milk. *licks it off the ground like a cat* And there are of course enough other Quite Interesting NetherRegion bits. I've already asked another, and thought of a few more. See Dutch Trivia under the D-series discussion forum.

barbados
74086.  Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote

Stefan Linnemann wrote:
grizzly wrote:

:-) No, I was inetnding to say, that before 1812 there was no "South-Holland" to come from.

But well done for Creative Misunderstanding.

Holland had no "south"? I can't beleive that, where would the north end? Preston?

Stefan Linnemann
74090.  Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:37 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:

Holland had no "south"? I can't beleive that, where would the north end?

Indeed, or at least, not so as you'd notice. Same goes for North-Holland. And for trying to be clever, tell me where South-Brabant is. You can find North-Brabant on those maplets above.

Stefan.

samivel
74093.  Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:56 am Reply with quote

Is it like looking for East Virginia in the USA?

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next