View previous topic | View next topic

Iraq

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

GuyBarry
1252201.  Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
The official name of the country where I live is Éire

In Irish, yes; and that's the first official language of the Republic of Ireland.

But the second official language, and the only language spoken by the majority of the people, is English; and the official name of the country in English is "Ireland". Article 4 of the Irish constitution says:

Quote:
The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.

The rest of the English-language text refers to the country as "Ireland", not "Éire".

Referring to Ireland as "Éire" in the English language is like referring to Wales as "Cymru", or indeed referring to Germany as "Deutschland". It's not English.

suze
1252244.  Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Should we call New Zealand Aotearoa and the American countries their native names? If so, their native names in which of the hundreds of languages historically spoken there?

Most people in New Zealand call it New Zealand, and so that is what we should call it. There is/was a left-leaning newspaper whose name I do not recall, but which habitually called it Aotearoa to make some kind of point. In truth though, only about one third of the Māori - who are about one sixth of the population of New Zealand - actually speak Māori on a regular basis.

AFB wrote:
Greece calls itself Ελλάδα. Should we call it that?

Basically, yes.

AFB wrote:
The official name of the country where I live is Éire, but for various reasons to do with political expediency most of us prefer not to call it that in everyday life.

Very few of you actually go about your day to day lives in Irish, and so you use the English-language name Ireland. That makes it good enough for the rest of the world to use.

GuyBarry wrote:
Agreed. I hear "Myanmar" pronounced in various different ways, and I'm not sure which is correct (the BBC says "myan-MAR", with two syllables, but I've heard it with three, and with varying stress). No one ever had a problem with "Burma".

Suppose that you and I had a Luke Skywalker moment, and I chose to reveal to you that I am in fact your mother. For some reason I chose to do this in Scouse, and said "I'm yer ma". Eliminate the <I>, and that is more or less how the word Myanmar is pronounced in Myanmar.

The <n> is etymological and silent, and the final <r> is not even present when the name is written in Burmese script. It is apparently intended to show that the word is stressed on the final syllable, and that the final vowel is hence not a schwa.

Leith
1252298.  Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote

monzac wrote:
Leith wrote:
My own name doesn't really change much when rendered in French, but when talking to people here about where I'm from, I'm quite happy to use 'Londres' and 'Edimbourg'. If anything, it would seem rather rude to insist on their native pronunciations.

David Sedaris on dealing with pronunciation when living in France :)

:)

... only when speaking to actual French people, I hasten to add.

'yorz
1252329.  Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Which reminds me - have you already found cause to use the life-saving 'truc', Leith? :-)

Baryonyx
1252582.  Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:30 am Reply with quote

As with much of political geography, the rules aren't as set-in-stone as they may appear so it's probably easiest to go with the majority.

GuyBarry
1252602.  Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

AFB wrote:

Basically, yes.

Why, when all other English-speakers call it "Greece"?

The Greek name for England is "Αγγλία" (pronounced "Anglía"). I have not heard a single person suggesting that they should call it "England", or whatever the Greek transliteration is.

Leith
1252728.  Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Which reminds me - have you already found cause to use the life-saving 'truc', Leith? :-)

Not yet, no; I'm finding the opportunities for conversation at my level of competence rather limited so far :(
I have noted others using it, though.

'yorz
1252980.  Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote

Teehee! :-D

AlmondFacialBar
1253057.  Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:05 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
AFB wrote:

Basically, yes.

So what do you do with multilingual countries?

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

PDR
1253065.  Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:28 am Reply with quote

Invade, and impose a superior anglophone, west-learning culture, obviously.

PDR

AlmondFacialBar
1253081.  Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:06 am Reply with quote

So the Swiss and the Belgians are currently east-leaning? Gosh!

AlmondFacialBar

suze
1253225.  Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
So what do you do with multilingual countries?

In the case of Switzerland, call it Schwiz. They'll all know what you mean, even if about one third of them pretend not to.

Belgium is trickier, and the cumbersome België Belgique might be unavoidable. (Unless we do what plenty of people in Brussel Bruxelles by now do, and call it Belgium.) But if we can manage Derry Londonderry ...

AlmondFacialBar
1253227.  Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote

Do I really need to mention that the latter is a major point of contention on both sides?

Regarding Belgium, it'll have to be a three parter...

AlmondFacialBar

suze
1253235.  Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Regarding Belgium, it'll have to be a three parter.

Both the German speakers can just about live with the Dutch form of the name. And since the German-speaking area is within Liège (Luik, Lüttich) province, they do actually understand the French form too.

AlmondFacialBar
1253236.  Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote

There's at least three, because the one working with me here must have parents after all...

AlmondFacialBar

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next