View previous topic | View next topic

Ambiguous use of second-person pronouns

Page 4 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

'yorz
1252239.  Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
And I also agree with 'yorz point about it making threads more difficult to find later.

GuyBarry wrote:
Well not really, because it doesn't change the actual thread title; it just changes the sub-title of the posts in that particular sub-thread. I wouldn't want to be able to change the main thread title retrospectively.

From Jenny's very clear guidelines on how to use this site:
Quote:
You can start your own threads on any of the forums but please give a few moments thought beforehand to where your ideas will feel most at home.

We wouldn't want you to be able to change either forum name or thread name.

GuyBarry
1252264.  Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote

Which is what I just said in my post above, which you quoted. "I wouldn't want to be able to change the main thread title retrospectively."

I mean, do you actually read any of the posts you reply to?

'yorz
1252265.  Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote

You mix up forum names and thread names.
You can launch a new thread (sub-forum) and even name it (once); you cannot begin a new forum.

GuyBarry
1252266.  Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote

I'm not mixing anything up. I've never said anything about starting a new forum. If I wanted to start a new forum, I'd go off to a different site and set one up on my own initiative.

monzac
1252306.  Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
monzac wrote:

It may be remiss of me, but I don't always go through each thread and catch up on what's been posted since the last time I visited.

The trouble is that if you don't, you run the risk of repeating something that's been said previously in the thread, which some people find annoying (and yes, I admit I'm one of them).

I did modify that statement with the word 'always'.

GuyBarry wrote:
Well, I wouldn't expect anyone to go back through a couple of years' posts. But if you're taking part in the forum from day to day, it seems reasonable to try to catch up each time with what's been posted since last time.

Of course I do read as much of a full thread as possible if I'm posting in a less discursive thread than this.

GuyBarry also wrote:
Some people have a tendency to look at the last post in the thread, or the last few posts, and just comment on those without regard to what's gone before.

That is not my habit. I don't think it is the habit of most people who post here either.

GuyBarry wrote:
EDIT: Incidentally, when I first made this post I changed the Subject line to "Structure of forum threads".

My limited understanding is that what I am currently writing is a post and when you began this topic, you created a thread. This may be the confusion 'yorz is referring to. Individual posts don't have subject lines.

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
monzac wrote:
I'm sure I've repeated myself on one or two occasions too, usually with some years between sharing the info, so I don't feel too bad about that.

Just ask Strawberry, sheíll tell you 😀

lol

GuyBarry
1252307.  Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote

monzac wrote:

My limited understanding is that what I am currently writing is a post and when you began this topic, you created a thread. This may be the confusion 'yorz is referring to. Individual posts don't have subject lines.

You can add a Subject line to a post. I'm writing this post in the editor right now, and above me there's a box marked "Subject". I've just put the words "THIS IS A TEST" in the box.

On some other forums, those words would have shown up as a separate subject-line to this post, distinct from the main thread subject. On this forum, it appears that they don't. I'm not sure what happens to them - it seems that the forum software just ignores them.

It's not a major issue, but maybe next time you make a post, you'll notice the box.

'yorz
1252324.  Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote

monzac wrote:
My limited understanding is that what I am currently writing is a post and when you began this topic, you created a thread. This may be the confusion 'yorz is referring to. Individual posts don't have subject lines.l

Indeed it was. The subject-box does not work when posting in an existing thread. And thanks heaven it doesn't. Enough doffcocking already.
Everybody else is happy with the way the site is designed.

<ed> changed 'posting' into 'quoting', to make sense.

Last edited by 'yorz on Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total

monzac
1252362.  Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
You can add a Subject line to a post. I'm writing this post in the editor right now, and above me there's a box marked "Subject". I've just put the words "THIS IS A TEST" in the box.

[...]

It's not a major issue, but maybe next time you make a post, you'll notice the box.

monzac
1252364.  Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote

I have confused myself visually with that last post. I'm just posting this to move it up a bit from the live reply format.

PDR
1252367.  Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:08 am Reply with quote

Confused the heck out of me too!

The option Guy is talking about comes up if you use the "quote" button for a specific post.

PDR

monzac
1252371.  Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote

So it does :)

Alfred E Neuman
1252377.  Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:35 am Reply with quote

Iíve seen that before, and even seen it used once or twice on other forums. But Iíve never been tempted to use it.

'yorz
1252380.  Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:09 am Reply with quote

Maybe that box within the quote-function can be removed, since it doesn't work anyway.

Alfred E Neuman
1252393.  Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quote

The forum has been going for about 14 years and 11 days now, and this is the first time its come up. We could probably just leave it as it is.

GuyBarry
1252394.  Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quote

@'yorz: If it's possible to remove it, then please go ahead, since it does give the misleading impression that it's possible to sub-title individual posts. But it's no big deal.

Page 4 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next