View previous topic | View next topic

Edison

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

mckeonj
73624.  Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote

The answer is the Bell crank, used in aircraft control systems.
Applied by A.G. Bell while working for Douglas Aircraft. He borrowed the idea from the rod system used to transmit the pulling and pushing of rods around corners in railway signal systems and domestic bell systems. See it here:
http://www.flying-pig.co.uk/mechanisms/pages/bellcrank.html

barbados
75200.  Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:20 am Reply with quote

Who's the man from Milan with an "E" and an "M" for children?

Thomas Alva Edison was born in Milan Ohio on Feb 11 1847, the 7th son of Samuel and Nancy Elliott Edison after the family had moved there from Nova Scotia. He only receiver 3 months of formal schooling after his teacher was overheard describing him as "addled" because his concentration would often wander during lessons. His mother, herself a teacher took to schooling him.

He started his working life as a telegraph operator, the year after the start of the civil war in America. Edison saved the life of a young boy about to be hit by a train, as his reward the father of the boy taught edison how to use the telegraph. After the war he moved to Boston where he worked as a telegraph operator, it was there he harnessed his interest in how things work, spending his time taking things apart and putting them back together, he also invents an tool to kill cockroaches with electricity. So the road to invention begins.

His first patented invention was the electrical vote recorder, it bombed, no-one was interested so he decided then he would only invent things that people would want. He wasn't really an "inventor" more an "improver" of things that already existed. During the next few years he made several improvements to the telegraph system.

In 1877 Edison unveils his improvements to Leo Scott's phonograph, which goes down as one of his big three inventions, the others being Electric light (demonstrated by Volta in 1800) and the moving picture (Wiliam Lincoln in 1867, talky was possibley Georges Demeny or Antoine Lumičre in early 1891)

So you see, without Edison we would have had most of the things he "invented" they just wouldn't have been as effecient.

Oh the E & M reference at the begining?

E was "Dot" his eldest daughter Marion Estelle,
M was "Dash" his eldest son Thomas Alva Jnr

Marion's nickname was taken from the morse code used to communicate on the telegraph where her father worked,
Thomas Jnr was just called Dash because his sister was called Dot and the names matched up.
srcs US National history archive service, wiki for dates and various others for movie info

grimwig
132585.  Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:09 am Reply with quote

On a recent BBC Four Documentary on the History of the Ghost Story an academic said that the ghost story came at an appropriate time as the public no longer thought they could be scared, and that it had been said that at the news of the invention of the lightbulb one writer had stated 'now there will be no more nightmares'.

If any of you people know about a source/ verification for this I would be most grateful

Jenny
132873.  Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:40 pm Reply with quote

grimwig wrote:
On a recent BBC Four Documentary on the History of the Ghost Story an academic said that the ghost story came at an appropriate time as the public no longer thought they could be scared, and that it had been said that at the news of the invention of the lightbulb one writer had stated 'now there will be no more nightmares'.

If any of you people know about a source/ verification for this I would be most grateful

I can't give you a source, but the statement seems intrinsically unlikely to me. There were a whole slew of 'Gothic' horror stories, including ghost stories, written in the last couple of decades of the eighteenth century, long before the light bulb was invented.

grimwig
133011.  Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:21 am Reply with quote

Yes that's what I suspected. Surely had anyone said this it would be in a list of those bad predictions like the bloke who turned down the beatles and that

mckeonj
133045.  Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
grimwig wrote:

I can't give you a source, but the statement seems intrinsically unlikely to me. There were a whole slew of 'Gothic' horror stories, including ghost stories, written in the last couple of decades of the eighteenth century, long before the light bulb was invented.

At least one, 'Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley, was inspired partly by recent advances in electrical science, and partly by 'recreational pharmaceuticals'.

Amen
418813.  Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:29 am Reply with quote

Tesla owns the Patent in the U.S for the Telephone (re-awarded in 1946).

Edison was an awful little man whose inventions were mostly done by underlings.

And to correct the E series, Tesla discovered AC current (for Westinghouse) and helped to bring about tons of other things (motor starters, the radio, etc). He could also light bulbs without wires from hundreds of yards away and wanted electricity free for everyone.

Sorry, got a bit carried away. Edison makes my eye twitch and I'm a big Tesla fan. How can you not love a man that invents secret death rays?

dr.bob
418878.  Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote

There's a fair bit been written about Tesla on these forums. I'm afraid, though, you'll have to wait for the 'T' series for a full appraisal of the man.

Or maybe the 'N' series if you're good :)

suze
427261.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote

Now then, here's a bit of serendipity. In the Celebrity Baton Relay Changelings Ralleigh thread, I was desperately seeking a Puskás other than the guy who played football for Real Madrid and Hungary.

And I came across Puskás Tivadar (he was Hungarian, so the surname comes first; in American literature he is usually called Theodore Puskas). Puskás Tivadar was a man of many talents - lawyer, Hungary's first travel agent, gold miner, bomb disposaler, and so on.

But the reason he's relevant here is that he also invented the telephone exchange, while working with Edison in the USA. And when he got his invention to work and had a call put through to himself, he is said to have exclaimed hallom, which is Hungarian for "I am hearing". (Or was; the -om form of the Hungarian verb is now considered rather old fashioned and these days it's usually hallok.)

Is that where Edison got the notion of using "hello" when answering the telephone? As we learn in BOGI (pp. 140-141), Edison liked the word "hello", which until then hadn't been used as a greeting (A G Bell preferred "ahoy" when answering the telephone). And when Edison got his first phonograph to work on 18 July 1877, the word he recorded on it was "halloo".

Now Wiki claims (annoyingly without citation) that Puskás's use of hallom was in 1877 as well, but is not specific as to date. It appears that Puskás went back to Europe as Edison's agent there "in the summer of 1877", so chances are that his hallom was before Edison's.

More research needed here - these are the two main sources thus far:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tivadar_Pusk%C3%A1s
http://www.omikk.bme.hu/archivum/angol/htm/puskas_t.htm

(I'm painfully aware that the best sources to pin this one down are at risk of being in Hungarian, and that's not a language I can read.)

bobwilson
427264.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
(I'm painfully aware that the best sources to pin this one down are at risk of being in Hungarian, and that's not a language I can read.)

What are you doing wasting time here suze when you should be studying your Hungarian? Tsk Tsk.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2