View previous topic | View next topic

Personality

Page 1 of 1

Kevans
1249709.  Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Hi all,

I was wondering whether personality was something that we want to look at?

I understand this area is delicate with many issues particularly categorising personality, measurement and causality (chicken egg etc.). Personally I think that it is an interesting area and I hope that you guys use it as a starting point for oodles of much better stuff .

Note- Point 1 mentions psychopathy which is the personality trait that all individuals are on not being a psychopath (a la Jon Ronson's Psychopath Test) which is when you meet certain criteria and is clinically assessed.

Anyway a couple of things that I am aware of is:

1. People who favour the evening, "night owls", score higher in secondary psychopathy (yes it is a tortured fact but psychopathy is a "P" as well!). The paper looks at all 3 "dark" Triad personality traits with people who favour the evening generally scoring higher (Psychopathy, Machiavellianism and Narcissism). Oh and it also won an Ig Nobel Prize.
(Insert Trump related joke here)

[Sources: Paper- http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886913001918; BPS Digest - https://digest.bps.org.uk/2013/07/18/creatures-of-the-night-people-who-favour-the-evening-score-higher-on-dark-triad-personality-traits/]

2. A study in April found that US politicians differed from the public on each of the five main personality traits (Big 5). They found that politicians are more likely to be Extraverted, Agreeable, Emotionally Stable, and Conscientious than the general public. Also they score slightly lower on Intellect/Imagination.
(Insert Trump related joke here)

[Sources: Paper - https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886916312004?dgcid=raven_sd_via_email ; BPS Digehttps://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/01/31/us-politicians-differed-from-the-public-on-each-of-the-five-main-personality-traits/]

Sorry the papers have pay walls :(

Thanks

Jenny
1249734.  Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote

Oh I like that! I wonder how it could be demonstrated on the show though.

Kevans
1249800.  Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure about that but you could use other more question like personality facts as an in. A couple off that I have (shamelessly) repurposed from Ben Ambridge's PsyQ which is really good for these kinds of psychology things

1. What links CEOs, Lawyers, people in the media, salespeople, surgeons, journalists, police officers, clergy, chef and civil servant?

- they are the top 10 professions to have the highest proportion of psychopathic traits (then we can introduce night owl stuff or other psychopathy things... such as from memory they get laid more if anyone knows better?)

2. How can you use a ruler to measure someone's personality (specifically agreeableness and neuroticism)

- You measure your index and ring finger (crease to tip) then divide the index result by the ring finger. This score tells you about exposure to androgens in the womb with the smaller the number the higher the degree of androgen exposure (average men =0.95, won men = 0.97. With the higher your exposure to androgens being correlated with higher agreeableness and lower neuroticism scores. (Then introduce other things that are linked to personality)

Bonus personality tit-but that I found when I revisited at this book

You can in some ways predict someone's personality from their musical preference (short test of musical preferences)

- People who prefer reflecive/ complex music (blues, classical, folk, and jazz) are high in openness to experience and see themselves as unathletic politically liberal and intelligent
- Intense and rebellious music (alternative, heavy metal and rock) as above but athletic
-people who like upbeat/ conventional music (country, pop, religious and soundtracks) are the polar opposite to the above group.
- Energetic and rhythmic (electronic, rap hip hop and soul) are extroverted agreeable attractive and athletic.

This research group also applied talking about music to predict traits and values to online dating... it was quite a helpful predictor. (So you could ask what is the best online dating topic to predictict someones personality - music)

Thanks and sorry this is a bit ramble-y

tetsabb
1249807.  Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote

Agreeable, emotionally stable and conscientious are not words I associate with US politicians, particularly Trumpy McTrumpface

Alexander Howard
1249838.  Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote

Kevans wrote:
You can in some ways predict someone's personality from their musical preference (short test of musical preferences)

- People who prefer reflecive/ complex music (blues, classical, folk, and jazz) are high in openness to experience and see themselves as unathletic politically liberal and intelligent
- Intense and rebellious music (alternative, heavy metal and rock) as above but athletic
-people who like upbeat/ conventional music (country, pop, religious and soundtracks) are the polar opposite to the above group.
- Energetic and rhythmic (electronic, rap hip hop and soul) are extroverted agreeable attractive and athletic.

What about the man who hath no music in his soul, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds?

Jenny
1249849.  Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote

That might make something interesting (Kevan's post above).

Alfred E Neuman
1249858.  Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:28 am Reply with quote

Kevans wrote:
...tit-but...

Tell us a little more about these tit-buts? :-)

Kevans
1249945.  Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote

A tit-but...

They are really indecisive small birds - Don't know what anyone else is thinking!

On the Trump thing though my (admittedly scarce) rational head you would say well all these are generalisations to the population as a whole but my current answer would have to be 3am tweets suggest he is a night owl.... or maybe he really likes country music

Page 1 of 1