View previous topic | View next topic

Poirot

Page 1 of 1

GeoVarleee
1248970.  Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote

The most dangerous place to be in an Agatha Christie novel is the bedroom. Victims killed in their bedrooms can be found in The Moving Finger, Crooked House, Hercule Poirot's Christmas, Sad Cypress, Cat Among the Pigeons, After the Funeral, and the list goes on and on.

The safest place to hide in an Agatha Christie novel is the kitchen.

Source: Cathy Cook, The Agatha Christie Miscellany, (Stroud: The History Press, 2013), pp.44-5.

GeoVarleee
1248974.  Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote

First published in 1934, Murder on the Orient Express caused quite a sensation due to its unusual ending.

Christie took her inspiration from the 1929 marooning of the Orient Express during a snowdrift in Çerkezköy, Turkey, when it was cut off from the world for six days, and the real-life kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby in 1932. The only clues left behind following the kidnap of international hero Charles Lindbergh's 20-month old son were muddy footprints leading to an unlocked window, a homemade folding ladder and a ransom note on a windowsill. The baby was never found and a man named Bruno Hauptmann was charged for the crime, but maintained his innocence until his execution in 1936.

Sources:

Cathy Cook, The Agatha Christie Miscellany, (Stroud: The History Press, 2013), p.151.

http://www.history.com/news/the-capture-of-the-lindbergh-baby-kidnapper-80-years-ago

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/bruno-hauptmann-executed

http://www.agathachristie.com/film-and-tv/murder-on-the-orient-express/facts-about-murder-on-the-orient-express

Feralcat
1278766.  Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote

The Lindbergh baby WAS found. About 2 months? after disappearing, from memory. I think it was established the toddler was dead within a day or 2 after the kidnap. So during much of the rushing about with ransoms etc, it was already too late. That is what I think I remember reading.

Most would know that Lindbergh was a Nazi sympathizer and spent a lot of time and effort trying to keep America from joining in the war on Britain's side, continually pushing the Isolationist line He had thought of moving to Germany in the later 30s before the war. He also had 3? secret mistresses in Germany and fathered 5 or 7 German children with them.

I believe he made a speech in America blaming the war on Britain & Jews and accused Roosevelt of warmongering and Roosevelt stopped him from officially joining up when finally, America had to declare war after Pearl Harbour - and to not enthusiastically sign up to defend America would destroy a reputation - but he worked as a private consultant to aviation companies and I believe wangled flights in the Pacific on warplanes, as an historical aviation hero

Actually I have a niggly feeling I read that the toddler was said to have died when it fell as it was being carried down the ladder. I don't know how that was established.

Lindbergh however, was not an attractive example of humanity, though at the time, he was a national hero.

Page 1 of 1