View previous topic | View next topic

Polaroid

Page 1 of 1

Would you consider purchasing a Polaroid OneStep?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

GeoVarleee
1248671.  Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote

Edwin Land’s creation of the first instant camera in 1947 was a pioneering moment in photographic technology. For the first time, any amateur snapper could create their own print. Internal pressure rollers inside the camera spread chemicals from a sealed compartment on to photosensitive paper, revealing the result within a minute of clicking the shutter. Newspapers were quick to label the Polaroid system “revolutionary”, but even then nobody anticipated the esteem that future designs would achieve.

It was the 1977 Polaroid OneStep that bore the look worshipped today by hosts of millennials. Backed by a popular advertising campaign, the inexpensive boxy gadget, with its white casing and colour spectrum stripe, was the best-selling camera in the US for four consecutive years. Changes in fashion and digital technology took their toll on sales, however, and Polaroid discontinued its instant film in 2008.

Desperate for Polaroids not to fall into disuse, a group of enthusiasts calling themselves The Impossible Project began to produce the coveted film. It reported a 75 per cent increase in 18- to 25-year-old consumers in 2013-14, a rise likely to have been driven by the popularity of Instagram. The app was launched in 2010 using a logo inspired by the Polaroid OneStep, a nod to the app’s retro-inspired photo filters. Instagram now has an estimated 600m monthly users.

Land, who died in 1991, was described as someone who “could look into the future and eloquently describe the intersection of science, technology and aesthetics”. And while sales of digital cameras are falling, the retro OneStep’s popularity continues to grow.

Source: https://www.ft.com/content/e0813fce-1a14-11e7-a266-12672483791a

bobwilson
1249323.  Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote

hmm - looks like advertising to me. Can't even read the article without subscribing.

Quote:
And while sales of digital cameras are falling, the retro OneStep’s popularity continues to grow.

Really? What does that mean - for digital from (say) $100m a year to $95m a year, while OneStep goes from $50 to $100?

Hard to say without reading the article (and I'm buggered if I'm paying the FT to read an article)

Alfred E Neuman
1249360.  Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:04 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
hmm - looks like advertising to me. Can't even read the article without subscribing.

Quote:
And while sales of digital cameras are falling, the retro OneStep’s popularity continues to grow.

Really? What does that mean - for digital from (say) $100m a year to $95m a year, while OneStep goes from $50 to $100?

Hard to say without reading the article (and I'm buggered if I'm paying the FT to read an article)

It doesn't even say that they're selling any. Just that "their popularity continues to grow", which is so ill- defined a phrase that it's meaningless.

Page 1 of 1