View previous topic | View next topic

Google has no answer

Page 1 of 1

Trickoholic
1248546.  Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote

In an episode of qi stephan fry asked for the word used to describe two names, both of which are valid first names. For instance john norman. This was many years ago and since i have periodicaly googled asked people and anything else i can to find the answer. I always get the same answer: double barrel name which is not correct. There are google threads with people asking the same question and there never seems to be a correct answer. Many people state that such a word doesnt exist but i know it does.
Then i found out about ask an elf and figure if anyone knows it would be an elf or elf follower.
Please help i been tortured by this for 5 years.

GuyBarry
1248548.  Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Trickoholic wrote:
In an episode of qi stephan fry asked for the word used to describe two names, both of which are valid first names. For instance john norman. This was many years ago and since i have periodicaly googled asked people and anything else i can to find the answer.

I didn't know there was a special word for it, but I'm one of them! In fact I have a "reversible" name since both of my names can be surnames as well as first names.

And it gives me an excuse to post one of Rowan Atkinson's funniest performances ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YDrBCNutmM

crissdee
1248556.  Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote

Me too!

Bondee
1248612.  Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:40 am Reply with quote

Doesn't ring any bells, but you could take a look at the QI Transcripts site.

Let us know if you have any luck.

GuyBarry
1248625.  Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote

This thread on Stack Exchange suggests that there's no generally recognized term, although Firsty Firsty has been proposed.

Trickoholic
1248661.  Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote

Yes several threads claim there is no specific term. If thats true then qi got it wrong coz they specified a term for it. I cant find it in transcripts either so maybe it was erroneus and was removed. I hope not tho

bobwilson
1249322.  Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote

Surely, any name can be either a surname or first name - which makes the question redundant. I can't imagine (for instance) a surname which COULDN'T be used as a first name (which, logically, would be the main test)?

GuyBarry
1249352.  Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:30 am Reply with quote

I suppose the question was one about people whose surnames are commonly used as first names. From time to time I'm mistakenly called "Barry" by people who've misread my name on a form. Are you ever mistakenly called "Wilson"? Even by people familiar with Wilson Pickett?

Page 1 of 1