16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
the horrible, tell me or i'll crush your head, ones
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 18

Jenny
72848.  Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote

The Pentagon has evidently decided on yet another way to attempt to legitimise some forms of torture outlawed under the Geneva Convention. What joy to live in such a civilised country.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/060506Z.shtml

gerontius grumpus
72892.  Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote

In the second world war, the British secret service had more success than the nazis in interrogating captured spies, because they tended not to use torture.
They still executed them afterwards though.

dr.bob
72914.  Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:30 am Reply with quote

QI Individual wrote:
The Bamboo in my garden is green and relatively soft during its growth. Its tips are very thin and soft like any other growing plant. Only after it has stopped growing the stems begin to harden.

Yeah, the whole bamboo torture thing doesn't sound too feasible to me. Almost all plants have new growth that is very green and soft and couldn't pierce a blancmange, let alone human flesh.

Though surely it should be fairly simple to settle the argument once and for all. Just suspend a side of pork over a bamboo plant and see what happens.

Tango 1
72916.  Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:38 am Reply with quote

Let us know the results. Though with over a thousand types of bamboo you may be there for some time. I hope you know a cheap butcher as well.

Dr. Know
78364.  Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:59 am Reply with quote

i suppose you could cover the interrigatee in bamboo and drop him in a pit of starving pandas, trained pandas, obviously. or if that doesn't work, get a stick of bamboo and wallop him over the head with it.
by the way, did you no bamboo was actually a kind of grass?

Twopints
78383.  Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
In the second world war, the British secret service had more success than the nazis in interrogating captured spies, because they tended not to use torture.
They still executed them afterwards though.

Actually there is strong evidence that the British did use torture during WWII. See the below article about "The London Cage".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/secondworldwar/story/0,,1640942,00.html

Topping
79627.  Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:06 am Reply with quote

I dont know how to reply to this website, but I heard a story about a guy who was kidnapped by a sick criminal gang; taken to an empty cottage, in the middle of a forest, and then handcuffed to his dead wife who had been kidnapped and murdered by the gang a day earlier.

The prisoner was kept alive and given food and drink everyday, when the gang visited him every morning for 20 minutes before locking the room he was held.
The torture was that this guy had to put up with seeing his dead wife go through different stages of decomposition each day, let alone have to put up with the stench and flies, etc. Now Id say thats definitely torture!

Dr. Know
79791.  Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:28 am Reply with quote

yeah....doesnt sound too feasible to me, topping. i mean, this gang have no motive, according to the story, and if they just thought to pick someone off the street torture, how would they know the whereabouts of his wife? also, if he was being tortured to the extent of "life is to unbearable" he could easily smash his own head in. AND if his wife was decomposing, she would have a consitacy of something similar to camenbert cheese, so if he was handcuffed to her, he could remove the handcuffs from her, and escape. that's just me, though, hair-splitting devils advocate for you.

Quaintly Ignorant
79918.  Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:51 am Reply with quote

That reminds me in Team America where the hero is given means to end his life in the event of capture, which takes the form of a hammer.

Topping
81934.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote

dr. know wrote:
yeah....doesnt sound too feasible to me, topping. i mean, this gang have no motive, according to the story, and if they just thought to pick someone off the street torture, how would they know the whereabouts of his wife? also, if he was being tortured to the extent of "life is to unbearable" he could easily smash his own head in. AND if his wife was decomposing, she would have a consitacy of something similar to camenbert cheese, so if he was handcuffed to her, he could remove the handcuffs from her, and escape. that's just me, though, hair-splitting devils advocate for you.

I dont know what to say to this reply, Dr Know, but the story I heard about the decomposing wife handcuffed to her husband doesnt sound that much of a true story I dont think??

I mean, some of these ghost stories, hitchiker stories and others, sometimes you just know theyre not true or theyre just abit far fetched.

Dr. Know
81982.  Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote

even so, stories are usually based on something. wether its i garbled radio message or a lengthy description of events. i wasnt saying your completely wrong, i was mearly pionting out the fact that i dont believe it.

Topping
82147.  Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:31 am Reply with quote

Tango 1 wrote:
Yeah, but it would still be weird having bamboo growing all around you I should think. Not very effective though.

No but theres another slow and long torture that the Chinese have used in ancient times were some guys tied down and he has to spend a gruelling length of time under a constant drip. Eventually, the poor guy ends up with an agonising hole in his stomach or wherever. Suppose thats similar to the Bamboo thing. I think the boredom of having to wait for the bamboo or drips to go through you is bad enough!!

Topping
82156.  Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:40 am Reply with quote

dr. know wrote:
even so, stories are usually based on something. wether its i garbled radio message or a lengthy description of events. i wasnt saying your completely wrong, i was mearly pionting out the fact that i dont believe it.

Ye, thats true, stories like The Excorcist or Psycho are based on aparently true stories. And thats all I can think of saying!

Flash
82206.  Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote

Topping - can we substantiate the Chinese water torture? Like the bamboo, it sounds to me both impractical (in that it wouldn't work) and ineffective (in that, if it did work, it would take forever and the torturer wouldn't be bothered with it). But if there's a reliable source for the story, let's drag him out here and beat the truth out of him.

samivel
82217.  Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote

Surely we should water torture the truth out of him?

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next