16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
the horrible, tell me or i'll crush your head, ones
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 18

Dr. Know
72645.  Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:11 am Reply with quote

i am something of a torture device enthusiast. my favourite torture device is the strappado where your handcuffed, hung from the ceiling by your cuffed hands, and left to hang there. sometimes if there really nasty they will weight your feet or if their really, really nasty, then they put you on a pully system, pull you all the way up, then let you drop. and if there really really really nasty, they will stop you, just before you hit the ground, which goes unsaid, gives you more than writers cramp.

Gaazy
72653.  Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:28 am Reply with quote

I think you're missing something vital here - in strappado, the hands are cuffed behind the back before you're hoisted. Not nice.

swot
72680.  Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:46 am Reply with quote

It depends how long you want to torture them for, and what you want the ultimate effect to be.

My dad and his charming family all decided that it was highly amusing to tickle me and my brothers; we all hated it but because it's quite an innocuous thing to do, our complaints usually fell on deaf ears. As you can imagine, I don't like to visit these people. If you want to really, really drive the person nuts for a long time (tickling doesn't actually do a great deal of damage) it would seem the best bet. You could always intersperse the tickling with threats of worse torture just to liven things up.

For quick and painful, the rack's probably the best bet.

eggshaped
72683.  Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:20 am Reply with quote

Was it the Moravian Brethren who tickled their enemies to death?

I think if I had to choose, I'd be chinese-water-tortured.

I reckon that living with the Bolton weather would make me immune to such punishment. And really, how much harm can a drip do?

eggshaped
72684.  Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote

Just to source the Tickling to death fact above.

Quote:
Strange as it may seem, Saint-Foix says that the Moravian brothers, a sect of Anabaptists having great horror of bloodshed, executed their condemned brethren by tickling them to death.

An online book:

Anomalies and Curiosities of Medicine by George M. Gould and Walter L. Pyle

Dr. Know
72703.  Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote

the vice is another cool torture device. it is literally a vice. it has two uses (i learned this at london dungeon) it can be put intothe mouth and widened until your jaw breaks, or fiited around the tongue and pulled out by two men as the tongue is a powerful muscle. that kinda seems pointless because then they cant tell you what you were trying get out of them. but painfull nontheless. painfull and cool.

djgordy
72728.  Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote

Far be it from me to add a note of humanity and rationality to this thread, but I would suggest that there is nothing 'cool' about the act of torturing people or the devices used for such a purpose.

Except for certain adult mutually consenting recreational uses of course.

Tango 1
72762.  Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:49 am Reply with quote

The vietnamese used to place people on a rack with bamboo planted underneath the victim. Bamboo grows at a rate of about half an inch a day so slowly over a couple of weeks it grows up through the victim.Nice.

Flash
72766.  Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:37 am Reply with quote

I remember that story circulating amongst us schoolboys in the '60s, only then it was about the Chinese or sometimes the Japanese. It doesn't sound like it would be a very effective means of torture, even supposing it would work (who'd wait a fortnight for a piece of information when a smack on the head could extract it in a minute?), and I've never seen a source for it. Does anybody know if there is one?

Tango 1
72768.  Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:44 am Reply with quote

The thing with a smack on the head is that it only hardens the torture victim. The effects of torture like the bamboo thing slowly weaken the resolve.

Flash
72769.  Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:46 am Reply with quote

OK, I guess that's arguable. Is there any evidence for the story, though?

QI Individual
72770.  Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:47 am Reply with quote

Bamboo is a rather QI plant. Not for its supposed use mentioned here but for many other reasons.

Bamboo can grow at a much higher rate than just mentioned. I have Bamboo in my garden and even in this temperate climate it can grow about 10 cm/4 inches a day.

Quote:
Established bamboo will send up shoots that generally grow to their full height in a single season, making it the fastest growing woody plant. Several subtropical bamboo species can grow 30 cm (1 foot) per day, with some species having been documented as growing over 100 cm in one day. For the species most widely cultivated in gardens, 3-5 cm, per day is more typical. A newly transplanted bamboo plant can take 1-2 years before it sends up new shoots (culms) and will have many seasons of "sizing up" before new shoots achieve the maximum potential height for that species.

See Wikipedia on Bamboo.

Tango 1
72771.  Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:48 am Reply with quote

I did see a picture of these racks over bamboo plantations but I cannot remember the context or where I saw it. It could have been a war photography book called "unreasonable behaviour" but I'l get back to you.

Tango 1
72772.  Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:55 am Reply with quote

I looked it up on wilkipedia and it is there, cited as being used by Chinese but it is disputed.

Flash
72773.  Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:55 am Reply with quote

There's a short thread on the subject of bamboo, starting at post 1651. It does refer to the torture you describe, citing a review in the Japan Times of a book called Bamboo in Japan in 2001 which contains this passage:

Quote:
So full is the coverage that I can think of only one use of bamboo that is not mentioned. This is bamboo as a torture instrument -- not only the common bamboo chips under the fingernails and bamboo poles used for piercing the hanging body, but also an ingenious torture whereby the condemned was staked out over a bamboo root that was then copiously watered. The fast-growing plant thrived and its culm (or cane) pierced the body of the unfortunate victim secured above it. The length of time required by this form of punishment depended upon the variety of the bamboo.

It might be objected that the failure to include this use was because the torture was actually Chinese (or Malay, or Burmese). This is what some Japanese authorities maintain. On the other hand, China has long ascribed it to Japan. In any event, this practice constitutes one of the many accredited utilizations of bamboo in Asia.

Even this seems a bit vague to me.

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next