View previous topic | View next topic

Google 'Privacy Reminders'

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

gruff5
1247806.  Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:40 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
gruff5 wrote:
It's a text box that appears at the bottom of the search home page of Google.

Can't honestly say I recall ever seeing such a thing, but I will keep an eye out for it.

Maybe my searching is more 'edgy' than yours? ;)

crissdee
1247809.  Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:50 am Reply with quote

That would be pretty "edgy" then.......

Alfred E Neuman
1247822.  Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:42 am Reply with quote

More edgy than a knife edge?

gruff5
1248496.  Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:53 am Reply with quote

this is a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

Got this just now. Happens about once a week.

crissdee
1248524.  Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote

Can't say I've ever seen that.

GuyBarry
1248533.  Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Can't say I've ever seen that.

I get it whenever cookies are cleared, but not otherwise. I don't really take much notice of it.

gruff5
1248709.  Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:17 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
.... I don't really take much notice of it.

Me neither. But it makes a handy reminder to assume nothing on the internet is private. So, if I feel like doing a spot of terrorism or whatever, I'll be making contact with my partners-in-crime by old-fashioned means.

One imagines that actual, worrisome terrorists think along those lines, so is the energy that GCHQ etc devote to monitoring the internet a bit of a waste of time? Or perhaps they do catch a few numbskulls using the internet to coordinate who might, nonetheless, go on to cause some mayhem if left unmonitored.

Other than 9/11 attacks on WTC (anniversary today) which took some ingenuity, the rest of the acts of terrorism we've seen singularly lacks in imagination.

jaygeemack
1262040.  Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:23 am Reply with quote

gruff5 wrote:
So, if I feel like doing a spot of terrorism or whatever, I'll be making contact with my partners-in-crime by old-fashioned means.

I have just reported your post to the appropriate authorities. Expect a knock on the door.

gruff5
1262101.  Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote

jaygeemack wrote:
I have just reported your post to the appropriate authorities. Expect a knock on the door.

Well, I'm currently staying in a hotel where I paid cash and no ID was requested, so if there is a knock on the (bedroom 11) door, it'll most likely be the maid bringing clean towels.

I could suggest all kinds of fairly easy acts of "terrorism" that though not on the epic scale of 9/11, would be sufficiently anxiety-provoking to be very disruptive. We've seen recently how merely access to a vehicle is enough to send shivers down the spine of a nation. The fact that European countries are 'only' experiencing, at most, a few incidences a year suggests to me that terrorism is not the great threat that the politicians would have us believe.

Compare the numbers to the 40,000 excess deaths a year that are caused in the UK by emissions from diesel vehicles. Just driving a diesel car is enough - you don't have to aim it at anyone.

crissdee
1262164.  Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote

Not wanting to give anyone ideas, but phoning tetsabb's office and telling them there's a bomb under one of their bridges ought to shut down southern England for a while. Don't even have to do anything other than the phone call........

suze
1262181.  Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote

On the other hand, anyone who does the thing which crissdee mentions would commit an offence under 51 of the Criminal Law Act 1971. The maximum sentence for such an offence is seven years in prison.

Just to cover your moderators' collective arses, please do not try this at home.

crissdee
1262219.  Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:58 am Reply with quote

How about from a phone box??????

gruff5
1262330.  Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, terrorists are dead scared of breaking the law ... ;)

I've got a PAYG SIM card that I bought years ago and was bought with cash, no ID requested.

dstarfire
1262912.  Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote

Baryonyx wrote:
I've often wondered whether the plural 'indexes' is correct in the IT sense of the word. It's the only time I hear it used instead of 'indices'

Before we can answer that, you have to decide if you are in fact talking about multiple indexes. AIUI both Google and Windows search a single index (or database). That index may contain/link to multiple subindexes, but it's still effectively a single (albeit massive, in the case of google) entity.

A more interesting puzzle to wonder about is how they update and modify that database/index WHILE reading it for your search results. I'm not talking about buffering where they're writing bits just before you read them. No, they can write the exact entry they are simultaneously reading to produce your search result. It's kind of like rearranging the furniture your sitting on without making you get up or move.

cornixt
1264215.  Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote

gruff5 wrote:
I've got a PAYG SIM card that I bought years ago and was bought with cash, no ID requested.

If you use it at home or work, or anywhere else you go regularly then they can pin it down to only a few people quite easily, or even down to you specifically if you are the only one who matches those places and times like that.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next