View previous topic | View next topic

Google 'Privacy Reminders'

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

gruff5
1247463.  Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:36 am Reply with quote

Anyone still bother to read these? Should we be bothering?

crissdee
1247495.  Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote

Not even sure what they are, so I'm guessing I don't read them......

gruff5
1247673.  Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:24 am Reply with quote

It's a text box that appears at the bottom of the search home page of Google. I get that about once a week.

I'm currently search for a movie file on my 2 year old HP laptop. That search has taken up to a minute to do - would take less than a second to search the Google servers on the other side of the world for virtually the entire internet. Bizarre!

PDR
1247680.  Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:17 am Reply with quote

The "google servers on the other side of the world" don't search the whole internet - they do a look-up in their indexes. The indexes are created in slow time by various proprietory methods and that allows a rapid look-up. When you search your laptop disk the speed will depend on whether and to what extent you have the Windows Indexing services switched on. With minimal indexing the machine will have yto open and search every file, and that's slow.

PDR

gruff5
1247681.  Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:23 am Reply with quote

I knew about the Google indexing, but not the Windows Indexing function. Thanks!

Baryonyx
1247682.  Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:27 am Reply with quote

I've often wondered whether the plural 'indexes' is correct in the IT sense of the word. It's the only time I hear it used instead of 'indices'

PDR
1247683.  Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote

It's had a chequered history - in current incarnations of Windows (7/8/10) it has a tunable front-end called "Windows Search", although the actual operating system service (called Wsearch) is controlled by a process called "SeachIndexer.exe".

You can often make massive improvements to typical search speeds by tweaking the Windows Search settings. They are accessed through "Indexing Options" via Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Performance Information and Tools. Things like deselcting the bulk of the operating system folders, temporary folders and file types that you're unlikely to be interested in then the index gets smaller and faster. Mr Google can give more detailed advice on this topic.

PDR

GuyBarry
1247684.  Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:45 am Reply with quote

Baryonyx wrote:
I've often wondered whether the plural 'indexes' is correct in the IT sense of the word. It's the only time I hear it used instead of 'indices'

"Indices" is definitely the correct plural in the mathematical sense (exponents). But the alphabetical listings that you get at the back of books are "indexes", not "indices". The IT sense is presumably an extension of this sense, so it would seem natural to use "indexes" for that plural as well.

As for the plural of things like "price index", I think I've heard both "indexes" and "indices".

Baryonyx
1247686.  Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:49 am Reply with quote

Thanks m8, that must be my maths background talking

crissdee
1247705.  Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote

gruff5 wrote:
It's a text box that appears at the bottom of the search home page of Google.

Can't honestly say I recall ever seeing such a thing, but I will keep an eye out for it.

suze
1247720.  Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
As for the plural of things like "price index", I think I've heard both "indexes" and "indices".

The New York Stock Exchange uses indexes for its measures of average stock price, but the London Stock Exchange uses indices.

gruff5
1247806.  Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:40 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
gruff5 wrote:
It's a text box that appears at the bottom of the search home page of Google.

Can't honestly say I recall ever seeing such a thing, but I will keep an eye out for it.

Maybe my searching is more 'edgy' than yours? ;)

crissdee
1247809.  Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:50 am Reply with quote

That would be pretty "edgy" then.......

Alfred E Neuman
1247822.  Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:42 am Reply with quote

More edgy than a knife edge?

gruff5
1248496.  Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:53 am Reply with quote

this is a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

Got this just now. Happens about once a week.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next