View previous topic | View next topic

Popes

Page 1 of 1

dstarfire
1246871.  Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote

Any political office running this long (and with that much power) is a goldmine of interesting tidbits and craziness (a few of which have already been mentioned on previous episodes).

You could start with the relatively tame bit that Ratzinger was head of the Inquisition before becoming pope.

Kevans
1249956.  Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote

Hiya,

Thanks for this dstarfire I imagine that Popes should still have interesting stuff knocking about - if nothing else I imagine the rituals they have to do being eccentric (for lack of a better word!).

A couple that could be of interest:

- The current Pope (Pope Francis)
He was given a Harley-Davidson motorcycle after he gave blessings to hundreds of Harley owners and their rides in St. Peter’s Square. It sold for €241,500 and was donated to a homelessness shelter/ soup kitchen.

The Pope-cyclye would have been great particularly if he started a motorcycle gang...

- Pope Leo I
Met Attila the Hun in 452 and persuaded him to turn back from his invasion of Italy. No one really knows what he said to make the warrior turn on his heal or if there was another reason why.

Maybe Leo said - "Oh by the way Attila have you heard the good news?"

- Pope Benedict IX
This was one of the youngest Popes with him taking office at age 20 after his father obtained his election through bribery and took office 3 times.
Thats not why he is interesting because he was apparently misused the Vatican's moral and financial riches in bordellos and banquet halls with it also being rumoured that he was the first primarily gay Pope.

If nothing else here are some of the descriptors about him (obvious health warning that they may be overstated):
1. "a disgrace to the Chair of Peter." - The Catholic Encyclopaedia
2. "his rapes, murders and other unspeakable acts of violence and sodomy. His life as a pope was so vile, so foul, so execrable, that I shudder to think of it." - Pope Victor III
3. His violence and debauchery “shocked even the Romans,” said philosopher Bertrand Russell
[Taken from an article by Huffington Post so would want to check this - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/27/benedict-ix-what-pope-benedict-xvi-shares-with-his-notorius-namesake_n_2769983.html]

He does sound like he would fit in on that new TV show "bro-mans" (eye roll)

Sorry if any of these have been used/ mentioned previously or that they are unusable but I hope this brain dump is useful for someone :)

thanks

suze
1250046.  Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote

Relevant to this topic is a note I wrote for the Elves a few years back on the subject of Popes named John. The note was inspired by one of the Elves discovering that there had been no John XX, in response to which I wrote thusly:

Ah yes, some clerk at the Vatican mistakenly thought that there had contrived to be two Johns XIV. When the Portugese Pope Pedro Julião was elected in 1276, someone told him about this and so he decided to be John XXI even though the previous John had been XIX.

Then again, there hasn't really been a John XVI either - he was an Antipope, and is usually excluded from the sequence. So that would make the number of Popes John equal to 21.

If, on the other hand, you want to count John XVI, then there have been two Johns XXIII. The first was Baldassare Cossa, the man of whom Gibbon wrote "he was charged with piracy, murder, rape, sodomy, and incest, with the more serious charges being suppressed". After him, no Pope dared choose the name John for 500 years, but when Angelo Roncalli was elected to the office in 1958 he decided to be John XXIII bis.

Alexander Howard
1250138.  Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:41 am Reply with quote

There was John Anglicus of course, not included in the lists.

Bondee
1250146.  Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:05 am Reply with quote

This could bring about another mention of Alexander VI, who previously featured in the Flotsam & Jetsam episode of the F series...

Oi! Slag! Chestnuts on the floor! Forage!

brunel
1250195.  Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:

The fact that "John Anglicus" appears to have been entirely fictional does somewhat count against her...

ali
1250197.  Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote

There is some confusion over the Stephens too:

Pope Zachary died on the 15th of March 752, and after some deliberation, a priest was named as his successor on the 23rd of March, and was to take the papacy as the second Stephen. Unfortunately, he died of a stroke before being consecrated bishop.
His successor also took the name Stephen.
The first pope of the name to use a regnal number was Steven VIII, who thought he was Stephen IX, and used that number for his entire reign.

Nowadays, Zachary's successor is known as Pope-Elect Stephen, and his successor as Stephen II (previously they were Stephens II and III).

Alexander Howard
1250317.  Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote

brunel wrote:
Alexander Howard wrote:

The fact that "John Anglicus" appears to have been entirely fictional does somewhat count against her...

Well that's what Rome wants us to think...

Leith
1250348.  Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote

ali wrote:
Nowadays, Zachary's successor is known as Pope-Elect Stephen, and his successor as Stephen II (previously they were Stephens II and III).

The former Stephen has been declared a prequel of sorts, it would seem.

tetsabb
1250375.  Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:

Oi! Slag! Chestnuts on the floor! Forage!

Naturally I youlgreaved this, and wondered what any of it had to do with the former/future (who knows) UKIP leader.....

Page 1 of 1