View previous topic | View next topic

colny island funfair? train carraige

Page 1 of 1

jn1057
1244378.  Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:37 am Reply with quote

Cant seem to find (google) any more info on the brief clip shown on one episode where a single train carraige passes another by traveling up and over it - by design!

Does anyone know anything more about this historic black and white clip or anything more about the system?

your help would be much welcomed

Jenny
1244393.  Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote

I remember this coming up on the research threads but I can't remember the series it featured in. If you could remember that it would make it easier to search for it in these forums. At the moment a search on train carriage brings up 111 options over eight pages and life feels to short to wade through them all. You probably won't be able to see some of them either unless it was in a series where the research threads have been opened to public view.

jn1057
1244397.  Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote

Yes i was afraid of getting such an answer!

By that i mean, i remember seeing it reasonably recently, possibly The Great Steve's last series - definitely not with Super Sandie hosting. However it is equally possible it was on a previous show that was repeated at that time - hence new to me. My recollection was that it was something i saw within the last year or so.

suze
1244398.  Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote

I've found it! Jenny, you'll find it if you search Stern and Coney - but I won't link since the relevant post is non-public. It looks as if it was Season N, possibly under N for New York. Everyone can see the film of one train passing over another though, because it's on YouTube.

The railway - it appears actually to have been called railway rather than the usual American term railroad - was indeed at Coney Island. The introductory caption to the clip gives the year as 1905, although our tame historian thinks it may actually have been 1909.

jn1057
1244401.  Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote

Yes - that is indeed the footage that i remember seeing! Thankypu so much for your time and skill in searching for it.

Your reply raises a few further questions for me.

Why is there not a public link available?

Your tame historian, a cousin of a tame racing driver?

again, many thanks

suze
1244407.  Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote

jn1057 wrote:
Why is there not a public link available?

The post that I mentioned for Jenny's information is in the private area of the forums, which is visible only to members of the QI research team.

By now it's perhaps a slightly quaint way to run a company, but that private area is still an important part of the process which leads to the TV shows. I don't think the research team have ever all gathered at one physical location at one time!

jn1057 wrote:
Your tame historian, a cousin of a tame racing driver?

Not as far as I know. He's actually a guy called Fred, although that is not his real name.

Conversely, Andy Murray is the real name of another member of the research team. But not that Andy Murray!

Jenny
1244410.  Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote

Jn - if you scroll down the various fora, you'll see that after a few years, the team does open the research threads up. However, so far those are only up to the F series, so it will be a while before the N series appears. On those threads you will see the discussion process that goes on in the research team, and the vast amount of material that gets winnowed down and selected for the screen. Sometimes really interesting stuff doesn't appear on the programme because it's too complex to fit within the scope of the show, or for some reason like being unable to obtain permission for some illustrative material (this in fact being the major reason why it hasn't made it to my side of the Atlantic).

As suze says, many of those who kick into the research never meet physically, but obviously the central team do when they're working on scripts, but that only usually happens in February/March.

dstarfire
1245406.  Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote

Season 14, episode 16 "New", around 7 minutes in (7:23, to be precise).

My google-fu turned up these links:
http://www.messynessychic.com/2016/11/22/coney-islands-short-lived-and-utterly-insane-dreamland/

https://www.westland.net/coneyisland/articles/dreamland.htm

The second link calls this the leap frog railway. Between that tidbit and the youtube video title ("Sterns Duplex railway") you should be able to dig up all you want to know about this train.

jn1057
1245430.  Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote

Wow! Premature incubators used to be a tourist attraction?!

Jenny
1245485.  Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote

That was where they were originally used - but more because the inventor couldn't persuade hospitals to use them at first.

dstarfire
1246870.  Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote

jn1057 wrote:
Wow! Premature incubators used to be a tourist attraction?!

Yeah, they mentioned that way back in season 9; the Infantile episode, iirc.

Page 1 of 1