View previous topic | View next topic

Sexism Redux

Page 31 of 32
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next

dr.bob
1317918.  Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:29 am Reply with quote

In this particular case, it seems to be "just one of those things" complicated by the fact that it's not trivial to get new stock up to the ISS.

However, I can see why some people are getting annoyed about it. As franticllama mentioned upthread, there are a litany of things which are designed with the average male in mind and don't work well for women. According to this BBC article many female scientific researchers have reported difficulty in doing their jobs properly because the equipment they need to use isn't designed to fit them. And labs on the ground are much easier to restock than the ISS.

AlmondFacialBar
1317919.  Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:35 am Reply with quote

Yup... There are few things that aren't designed by men for men really. A painful example from the athletic world:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/disability-sport/47718629

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

dr.bob
1317922.  Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:44 am Reply with quote

Ouch!

Jenny
1317931.  Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote

Goodness that made me cringe and cross my legs...

Alexander Howard
1317987.  Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:43 am Reply with quote

There's another article on the Beeb this morning. It is in essence an advert for the recent book by Caroline Criado Perez, but it is possible that Invisible Women is the most important book on the subject in years - it has had rave reviews anyway. The eye-popping bit for me is that symptoms of heart-attack are missed because they are different between the sexes, but there is far more, in many fields.

The range of sexual dimorphism is beyond outward appearance and failing to take it into account is serves women badly. It may not be comfortable for those who like to claim (even if they don't believe it) that differences between the sexes are just cultural - perhaps that is why it has taken so long for a book like this to come out.

Jenny
1318031.  Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:47 am Reply with quote

Thanks AH - I shall have to look out for that book.

AlmondFacialBar
1318323.  Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:41 am Reply with quote

In related news, fragile masculinity is a strange thing... The other day a person on FB posted Losing My Religion on their page, which kicked off a debate about R.E.M. largely among people young enough to be my children. Grand, they were clearly approving and I enjoyed following them and contributing my bit as someone who was actually there at the time. Eventually another guy came in and dismissed all their nineties stuff as overproduced pop, which doesn't take a major fan to easily disprove. They were a lot of things during that time, but most assuredly not overproduced pop and I posted one of the most abrasive songs from their catalogue as proof. So yer man replies and basically starts mansplaining my favourite band to me who I've been following since before he was born. Yeah, kiddo, good luck with that. I calmly held my own with that pesky thing called facts (yes, I really did; I'm pretty good at that) while he just kept repeating the same things about overproduced pop and it basically went round in circles. Call me a terrier, but I won't let a pimply little jerk get away with that. So yeah... Went to sleep, woke up this morning, and in the mean time what had happened? A man had replied in agreement with me and suddenly that guy is all sweetness and light and says yeah, ok, makes sense or somesuch. Peace ever since. So it took a man to repeat what I had been saying all along to get him to start thinking. Because... The idea of a mere girl actually knowing more about nineties music and her favourite band than he does (because she was actually fucking there) makes his dick shrivel up and fall off? Seriously, what is that fuckery? Ok, this is anecdotal, but I still think it's symptomatic for an overall problem. A man accepting a woman's opinion, however well informed, is seen as emasculating. A woman accepting a man's opinion, however ill-informed, is seen as the sensible, grown-up thing to do. We all still have a long way to go. :-/

AlmondFacialBar

Last edited by AlmondFacialBar on Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total

dr.bob
1318331.  Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:21 am Reply with quote

Otherwise known as "hepeating"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/ab1eaf4a-c794-420a-929f-253695ede704

But I'm sure you already knew that ;-)

AlmondFacialBar
1318335.  Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:35 am Reply with quote

I actually didn't, so thanks! :-) It has hereby entered my vocabulary and I fear won't be retired from it anytime soon.

AlmondFacialBar

GuyBarry
1318337.  Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:39 am Reply with quote

Not a new idea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE3r_CgScms

From The Fast Show circa 1995.

AlmondFacialBar
1318338.  Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:43 am Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I know it's not new. It's just depressing to still see it happening in the year 2019 with men young enough to know better. And probably at least vaguely progressive leaning because that tends to be the default with R.E.M.'s fanbase. The other guys in the thread were great, btw. Lots of heart reacts for me. ;-) Just for the record and in fairness.

AlmondFacialBar

GuyBarry
1318342.  Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
The other guys in the thread were great, btw.

So doesn't that contradict what you said in your earlier post?

"Ok, this is anecdotal, but I still think it's symptomatic for an overall problem. A man accepting a woman's opinion, however well informed, is seen as emasculating."

To me it just sounds like one person being a bit of a dickhead.

AlmondFacialBar
1318343.  Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:03 am Reply with quote

To me it sounds like the luck of the thread, just from 46 1/2 years experience of being female.

AlmondFacialBar

Jenny
1318364.  Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote

The current kerfuffle about Joe Biden's general handsiness and hugginess is another example of things that were once, if not OK then tolerated, coming back to bite people now. He probably never meant anything sinister by it, and by all accounts he is a genuinely good guy, but there is that inbuilt attitude that women's bodies are not as off limits as men's bodies.

AlmondFacialBar
1318379.  Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:46 pm Reply with quote

Yup, absolutely. I don't believe for one moment he's doing that for a turn on or to assert power or whatever, but he does need to learn that even by doing it in a friendly, avuncular way he's still taking away agency from the woman in question. Establish consent, then touch. It ain't rocket surgery.

AlmondFacialBar

Page 31 of 32
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next