View previous topic | View next topic

Sexism Redux

Page 30 of 32
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

PDR
1317396.  Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote

...and establish the principle that if you want to silence anyone all you have to do is post abusive responses to their posts.

How would you respond if everything you posted was deleted because I posted an abusive response to it?

PDR

Alfred E Neuman
1317397.  Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:28 am Reply with quote

Haven’t we already tried that?

dr.bob
1317402.  Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:53 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
I was wondering if you could suggest why the Guardian seem to think she was silenced

You know that bit where I said 'the article claimed she was "silenced" in a rhetorical style to compare her experience with that of the trolls. It clearly uses the same words to make the connection'? You might want to read that again a few times. It doesn't seem to have sunk in yet.

barbados wrote:
What are the negative aspects, you are suggesting that she was deprived of publicity, but quite obviously she wasn’t.

The only reason she wasn't deprived of publicity is because there was a huge backlash against the actions of the ALFW. If there hadn't been and people had just accepted their actions, then she would have been deprived of some publicity by not having her picture published.

barbados wrote:
I’ve asked you why you think she was deprived publicity

When did you ask me that? Please quote the exact part of the post in which you asked me that.

barbados
1317406.  Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:08 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:

barbados wrote:
I’ve asked you why you think she was deprived publicity

When did you ask me that? Please quote the exact part of the post in which you asked me that.

dr.bob wrote:
barbados wrote:
How does removing an image silence her, but not the trolls.
Also how does it put her at a disadvantage compared to other athletes?

In terms of publicity and connecting with the fans. I already explained that bit.

You might want to read that again a few times. It doesn't seem to have sunk in yet.
*My bold

franticllama
1317510.  Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:48 am Reply with quote

Moving along.
A short list of things designed with the average male in mind I read this ages ago but the discussion that arose about Swot's new car made me think of it. Always good to know that we're more at risk from injury simply because we're shorter than the 'average' male.

PDR
1317526.  Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:12 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
Haven’t we already tried that?

Glad someone spotted that...

:0)

PDR

barbados
1317594.  Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:17 pm Reply with quote

franticllama wrote:
Moving along.
A short list of things designed with the average male in mind I read this ages ago but the discussion that arose about Swot's new car made me think of it. Always good to know that we're more at risk from injury simply because we're shorter than the 'average' male.

Quote:
When broadcaster Sandi Toksvig was studying anthropology at university, one of her female professors held up a photograph of an antler bone with 28 markings on it. “This,” said the professor, “is alleged to be man’s first attempt at a calendar.” Toksvig and her fellow students looked at the bone in admiration. “Tell me,” the professor continued, “what man needs to know when 28 days have passed? I suspect that this is woman’s first attempt at a calendar"

I'm not an anthropolist, but I can think of a reason.

franticllama
1317608.  Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:47 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure I follow? Why did you quote those two bit of info?

barbados
1317617.  Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:10 am Reply with quote

The first but was to signal I was responding to your post, the send but was the part in the article specifically you highlighted.

'yorz
1317743.  Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:04 pm Reply with quote

NASA: all-female spacewalk canceled cos lack of fitting women's spacesuits.

And nobody thought of that beforehand? Even the women themselves didn't think. "Oh - perhaps we should try the blokes' suits, see if they fit".
Shurely shelling out money for bespoke suits would have been feasible....

SMFH.

barbados
1317745.  Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Wouldn't it have been easier if Anne McClain hadn't decided she wasn't a large a bit earlier than two days before departure?

PDR
1317758.  Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote

According to the scuttlebutt:

The ISS had two of the correct sized suits, but one of them had been configured for a different task and someone had forgotten to put that in the log. Reconfiguring it for a spacewalk would have been a 4-hour job, with some of the subsequent tests requiring 2 people, to be done in the workshop area which was scheduled for other tasks. So they decided not to.

PDR

crissdee
1317773.  Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:

Shurely shelling out money for bespoke suits would have been feasible....

iirc, they cost about eleventy-six gazillion dollars a pop, so even NASA don't just run up whatever sizes are needed at the time.

Alexander Howard
1317774.  Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:54 pm Reply with quote

There's also the issue that the astronaut's body changes shape during extended period in microgravity. The effect on the female body in comparison with the male body I will leave to experts.

Leith
1317775.  Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
Wouldn't it have been easier if Anne McClain hadn't decided she wasn't a large a bit earlier than two days before departure?

It was reportedly something that she learned during her first spacewalk on the 22nd March. She'd been comfortable training in both medium and large suits in preparation for the mission, but it's a tricky business predicting what will fit as your body adapts to the ISS environment, as Mr Howard notes.

Anne McClain reported that she is already 5cm taller than when she arrived on the station in December.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-updates-spacewalk-assignments-announces-final-preview-briefing

Page 30 of 32
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next