View previous topic | View next topic

Public lavatories

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
1242665.  Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:22 am Reply with quote

Among the buildings recently listed as landmarks in Hull as part of its celebrations of it being made UK city of culture is a public lavatory. The loos on Nelson Street where opened in 1926 and were one of the first to cater for both men and women.

Source: BBC

Jenny
1242676.  Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote

The ones I remember best are the ones under Queen Victoria's statue in front of City Hall and the Ferens Art Gallery. I used to go to that art gallery regularly to wander around in it, as entrance was free and I liked it. In my early teens I used to go to dances on a Saturday night in City Hall, and my school always had its end-of-year prizegiving ceremony there so I remember it from that too.

Video of the area here.

Saphia
1248581.  Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:06 am Reply with quote

The Nelson Street toilets (on Hull's Victoria Pier) have previously won an award for "Best loo of the year". You can see a photo of this marvel here:

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-award-winning-toilets-at-victoria-pier-in-kingston-upon-hull-18567669.html

'yorz
1248582.  Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote

One of the worst I ever needed to use in the Ninetees is in Southend-on-Sea, main shopping street. It's (and I sincerely hope it's 'was' by now) below street level, has very steep slippery stone steps. is often closed for whatever reason, washing basins are often without water/soap, and stinks to high heaven.

crissdee
1248584.  Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:23 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
One of the worst.....is..Southend-on-Sea. It's below street level, and stinks to high heaven.

FTFY ;-)

'yorz
1248586.  Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:35 am Reply with quote

post 527408

Using the Search function for past threads about this topic, I came across the above post, which make me laugh out loud, and merits reposting.

'yorz
1248587.  Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:37 am Reply with quote

And @crissdee - you could honestly smell it aboveground.

bemahan
1248606.  Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:37 am Reply with quote

*Spots an opportunity for blatant self-advertisement*
A Liff I created some time ago:
Quote:

Farrukhabad Cum Fatehgarh - The feeling you have as you slowly push open the door of a public toilet cubicle with your fingertip, uncertain as to what you will find.

And
Quote:
Lucknow - the moment of relief and associated relaxation of your facial muscles as you realise the toilet is clean after a Farrukhabad Cum Fatehgarh (q.v.)

Uttar Pradesh - one's revulsion on finding a public toilet cubicle in an unuseable state.

14-11-2014
1285897.  Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote

An item representing 230 items (squirting, when the nuilt-in public lavatory is being used) of
the Pauper Fountain, a phallic fountain, in Workum, The Netherlands.

Apparently the excluded people of Workum, one of the Frisian Eleven Cities, didn't like
the Eleven Fountains art project.

A video showing their own art project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ODzRoszsGs#t=1m25s

The fountain of Workum of the Eleven Fountains project, by Cornelia Parker:

Page 1 of 1