View previous topic | View next topic

Reason and benefits for hiring a professional Electricion

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

PDR
1242416.  Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:46 am Reply with quote

On the wider topic (ie safety focus that is "excessive" rather than "sufficient") I put my hand on my heart and swear by His Noodley Appendage that the following is the body-text of an email that was circulated here a couple of weeks ago:

Quote:
Following a recent audit there is a need to secure the 2 and 3 tread step ladders used on the 2 nd floor to access the tall cupboards and limit their use to those who are cleared in Working at Height. This will also include the steps being placed on the 6 monthly inspection register by WPS.

Three of my colleagues happen to be "vertically exuberant" at between 6'4 and 6'7 in bare feet, and they are able to access said cupboards without mechanical aids, and they have all asked whether this means that either:

(a) they mustn't use the lower cupboards until they have been trained and cleared for Working at Depth, or;

(b) they must immediately stop moving until they have been trained and cleared for Walking at Height.

This is PRECISELY the sort of twaddle that causes the HSE to tear their hair out, because it so utterly destroys the value of all the really important good stuff they do. I can be certain about this because I (mischievously) forwarded the above email to the HSE together with the name of the external safety auditing company whose report caused it to exist...

:0)

PDR

Alfred E Neuman
1242423.  Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:49 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
I've done the same, but would never recommend others do (as I'm sure you wouldn't either). A few weeks ago I replaced the kitchen 4-way light switch without switching the power off because I needed the lights on to see what I was doing (people holding torches never works for me). I did the same while wiring up the light & power sockets in the loft.

I usually plug a lead light into the plug circuit and open the breaker on the lights' circuit when I'm doing that. Of course the breaker only isolates the live and you can still get a tickle from the neutral, or even trip the earth leakage if you short neutral to earth.

bobwilson
1242509.  Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote

I have something to say - but I'm too tired right now

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2