View previous topic | View next topic

Hidden messages

Page 1 of 1

GuyBarry
1240478.  Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:51 am Reply with quote

This game was inspired by a rather curious feature of this forum's search results page that I've attempted to explain and illustrate in this thread. Essentially, when a post contains an embedded link, followed at any point by text which is either quoted, emboldened or italicized, all of the intervening text (including the link text) is omitted from the post as it appears on the results page. So, for example, I'd expect this post to appear in search results as:

Quote:
This game was inspired by a rather curious feature of this forum's search results page that I've attempted to explain and illustrate in embedded link, followed at any point by text which is either ...

(Check it for yourself!)

In that case the result was nonsensical but it's possible to come up with examples that change the meaning to something else.

The object of this game is to come up with innocuous-looking posts that reveal a hidden message when they appear in the search results. Here's one for starters:

GuyBarry
1240479.  Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:51 am Reply with quote

Theresa May has declared that rumours of her imminent departure as PM have no credibility whatsoever.

GuyBarry
1240496.  Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote

Get the idea? The above post is reported on the search results page as:

Quote:
Theresa May has no credibility whatsoever.

I'm hoping for a lot more similar posts in this vein - unless the administrators manage to fix this strange bug, of course.

PDR
1240497.  Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote

A recent survey clearly proved that Brexit supporters do not strongly tend to be brainless racist gobshites.

PDR

GuyBarry
1240539.  Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:08 am Reply with quote

Donald Trump is totally convinced that his proposed border security wall can be financed by solar panels. These would absorb sunlight and convert it to electricity, rather than reflecting light off the wall.

GuyBarry
1240613.  Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:07 am Reply with quote

No other takers yet? All right, I'll do another one:

Jeremy Corbyn thinks he is in a strong position to take power from the Conservatives, after they failed to gain a majority but still won the general election.

Page 1 of 1