View previous topic | View next topic

Galaxies

Page 1 of 1

Malwal
1239947.  Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote

In the 'Book of General Ignorance' (Stouter edition 2009) on page 21 ' How many Galaxies are visible to the naked eye?' ...... you state 2 from each Hemisphere. Downunder we get a lovely view of 3 Galaxies, the Large and Small Magellanic clouds, plus the Milky Way. I agree with the 2 from the Northern Hemisphere i.e. Milky Way plus Andromeda.

Last edited by Malwal on Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total

dr.bob
1239979.  Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:30 am Reply with quote

Even the Northern Hemisphere number is wrong, since it's possible (under the right conditions) to see the Triangulum Galaxy from up here. So we can see three as well.

Malwal
1240047.  Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:09 am Reply with quote

In that case dr.bob, I'll have to plump for 4 Galaxies in the Southern Hemisphere, both Magellanic Galaxies, Milky Way and indeed M33 in Triangulum. (although very faint to see needing very dark 'outback' conditions)

Last edited by Malwal on Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total

dr.bob
1240051.  Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:42 am Reply with quote

Gah, typical Aussie one-upmanship! ;-)

suze
1240094.  Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote

I'm reading that the Centaurus A galaxy is also marginally visible to the naked eye from sufficiently dark Southern Hemisphere locations. Is this claim generally accepted?

PDR
1240100.  Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote

A colleague is an amateur astronomer and he tells me that there is so much one-upmanship about having seen"naked eye" or "refractor only" sightings of particular astral bodies that most such claims are regarded with suspicion by default these days. It sued to be a photograph would do it, but these days GPS-guided servo-systems are cheap and commonplace so a photograph of the right piece of sky with cross-hairs accurately placed doesn't necessarily mean the observer actually SAW anything (even if he/she has convinced him/herself that he/she did).

I saw over a dozen Galaxies, but they were on the confectionary shelf in sainsburys and I don't think that counts!

:0)

PDR

Malwal
1240124.  Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:26 pm Reply with quote

I think you are getting away from the subject PDR. The book in question stated the initial fact of 2 - 2 galaxies visible to the eye in each hemisphere. It is not a case of 'One upmanship' (although dr.bob and I had a laugh on that occasion, but the facts that exist. I don't have a colleague who is an amateur astronomer, I am an amateur astronomer, having been interested in astronomy all my life and never been payed for it.

Page 1 of 1