View previous topic | View next topic

Austerity in ruins?

Page 8 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

suze
1240666.  Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
There are some stops on London Underground where you'd walk further to get to the platform than you would walking overground between the stations - or at least it feels that way!


This is actually true!

The closest pair of stations on the London Underground is Covent Garden and Leicester Square. According to TfL, the distance between the two stations is 262 meters. Five minutes is a generous allowance to walk from one station to the other.

The mean travel time between the two stations - according to some rather troubled enthusiasts who spent a day going back and forth with a stopwatch - is 37 seconds. But that's before you remember that Covent Garden has no escalators, and you either wait for the lift - which can be several minutes at busy times - or use the 193 spiral stairs.

The longest walk below ground to change platforms is from the Circle and District platforms at Monument to the Waterloo and City Line platforms at Bank. As Londoners will know, Bank and Monument are in fact one sprawling station with half a dozen entrances, and the walk between these two sets of platforms is about 940 meters.

If you're extremely fit, you can even try racing the train. That's what a fellow called James Heptonstall did one Sunday morning in 2014.

 
Dix
1240688.  Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote

A quick measurement on Google maps gives me approx 350 m from Leicester Square station to Covent garden station.

However, if you measure the walking route I'd take from Embankment station to Charing Cross station -- up the back stairs to the mainline station, down again to the Underground station, it's only 315(-ish) m. Hard to be precise - the mainline station layout is visible, but the precise location of the underground station isn't. But I've a fair idea where the entrance is, so I don't think I'm much wrong.

If you start at Monument station and follow the signs for Bank / Central line (westbound) you are led through what feels like a mile-long trek up and down stairs, tunnels and past other platforms.
If you use the Monument-side entrance to the Monument station and follow the DLR signs (a few short flight of stairs only), the first thing you see above the escalator is a whopping great sign saying "Bank".
That has always amused me.

 
suze
1240689.  Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote

Dix wrote:
A quick measurement on Google maps gives me approx 350 m from Leicester Square station to Covent garden station.


The 262 meters (or 13 chains in railway-ese, where a chain is 22 English yards) is the distance traveled by a train from one station to the other. Which station's platforms are therefore not directly underneath the entrance is the sort of thing that the good husband ought to know, but he doesn't.

Charing Cross to Embankment is also 13 chains, but reported as a few yards further, while Waterloo to Southwark is a massively longer journey at 14 chains.

There is actually an even longer walk between platforms available than that one at Bank/Monument, but TfL does not consider it as being within one station. The Bakerloo platforms at Paddington are three quarters of a mile from the Hammersmith and City platforms, and the walk takes you from one end of the mainline station concourse to the other. TfL advises allowing 20 minutes, but considers the two Paddington stations to be distinct stations and suggests that doubling back via Baker Street is usually quicker.

 
crissdee
1240691.  Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
The Bakerloo platforms at Paddington are three quarters of a mile from the Hammersmith and City platforms, and the walk takes you from one end of the mainline station concourse to the other.



Which I had to do once, carrying my extremely heavy toolkit, following an extremely tall station assistant with concomittently longer legs than me!!!

 
cnb
1240710.  Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:51 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Which station's platforms are therefore not directly underneath the entrance is the sort of thing that the good husband ought to know, but he doesn't.


At most of the stations served only by lifts, not escalators, the platforms are very close (horizontally) to the entrances. This is true at Covent Garden. At most stations with escalators, the platforms are roughly the length of the escalator away from the entrance. This is true at Leicester Square, where the Piccadilly line platforms are to the east of the entrance, towards Covent Garden.

For future reference, there is a handy set of transport geek-grade diagrams available here.

suze wrote:

There is actually an even longer walk between platforms available than that one at Bank/Monument, but TfL does not consider it as being within one station. The Bakerloo platforms at Paddington are three quarters of a mile from the Hammersmith and City platforms, and the walk takes you from one end of the mainline station concourse to the other. TfL advises allowing 20 minutes, but considers the two Paddington stations to be distinct stations and suggests that doubling back via Baker Street is usually quicker.


It's nowhere near three quarters of a mile - I doubt it's much more than one quarter. The mainline platforms are 220m long, plus there's maybe 100m either end in the taxi rank and the underground stations.

A three quarter mile radius from Paddington Bakerloo Line platforms would include eight or nine other stations - in central London three quarters of a mile is a long way.

 
dr.bob
1240718.  Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:58 am Reply with quote

cnb wrote:
For future reference, there is a handy set of transport geek-grade diagrams available here.


The diagram of Bank station is amazing!

The one for Kings Cross cheats a bit as it consists of two separate diagrams :)

 
Alfred E Neuman
1240725.  Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
That sounds about right. Google maps usually overestimates how long it take to walk anywhere.


In my experience, Google Maps overestimates most traveling times, although lately the driving estimates are closer to actual driving times than they used to be.

 
'yorz
1240740.  Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote

Cycle times, however, seem a tad tight.

 
Alfred E Neuman
1240741.  Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Cycle times, however, seem a tad tight.


Perhaps they expect a certain minimum level of doping?

 
'yorz
1240744.  Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote

Not all coffee houses are suspect.

 
suze
1240755.  Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote

cnb wrote:
It's nowhere near three quarters of a mile - I doubt it's much more than one quarter. The mainline platforms are 220m long, plus there's maybe 100m either end in the taxi rank and the underground stations.


Three quarters of a mile came from the top of husband's head, and he is willing to concede that it's an overstatement.

But he's shown me TfL saying in one place that it's a 15 minute walk and in another place to allow 20 minutes. It only states the 940 meter walk at Bank / Monument as needing 10 minutes, so the Paddington walk must surely be longer than that.

Those transport geek-grade diagrams don't cover Paddington (Hammersmith and City), since it's a surface level station. They do cover Paddington (Bakerloo), and while the Bakerloo platforms are accessed from the main concourse they are in fact on the other side of Praed Street.

I have put it to husband that he is now honour bound to do the walk with a measuring wheel sometime. He agrees that he must do this, sometime.

 
barbados
1240770.  Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote

Its been a while since I did either, but you might be overlooking something very obvious with the timings between platforms.
IIRC the Paddington change has something that the Bank > Monument doesn't
. IIRC Bank/Monument is on the level, while there are a number of steps involved in the Paddington interchange.
That would easily account for the difference in transfer timings.

 
cnb
1240777.  Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:30 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

But he's shown me TfL saying in one place that it's a 15 minute walk and in another place to allow 20 minutes. It only states the 940 meter walk at Bank / Monument as needing 10 minutes, so the Paddington walk must surely be longer than that.


I don't think that kind of logic applies! Network Rail give the minimum connection time at Paddington between two mainline trains as 15 minutes. The maximum distance is about 500m - maybe 700 or so if you need to avoid stairs. I suspect TfL took that number and added a few minutes.

suze wrote:

while the Bakerloo platforms are accessed from the main concourse they are in fact on the other side of Praed Street.


I think you had the diagram upside down. Although you walk towards Praed Street from the main concourse, you turn back to go down the escalator and the Bakerloo platforms are under London Street and mainline platforms 9&10. Not that it matters - the walking distance is about the same.

 
AlmondFacialBar
1240779.  Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:46 am Reply with quote

I now very much want Andy to do this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_Challenge

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

 
ali
1240796.  Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
I now very much want Andy to do this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube_Challenge

:-)

AlmondFacialBar


Do you have to finish at Mornington Crescent?

 

Page 8 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group