View previous topic | View next topic

What are the cleverest ways to call someone an a**hole?

Page 1 of 1

Bobtuse
1238704.  Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote

Sorry. Wrong forum. Apology follows below.

Last edited by Bobtuse on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total

'yorz
1238705.  Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote

I am trying (and failing) to see a link with 'O-series'.

ZoeybeGreen
1238707.  Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote

According to http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/asshole?s=ts These are the synonyms for a**hole:
ass
bast**d
jack**s
prick
cock
sucker
di**head
motherf****r
s**t
son of a b***h
a**hat
a**wipe
idiot
jerk
pilgarlic
prig
schmuck
However, there is possibly a navy term relating to the letter "O" being "OD" meaning An unruly and/or irresponsible older hand who should know better and is a bad example to others...this could be an example of an "A**hole"
http://www.hmscarysfort.co.uk/MessageBoard/Naval%20Expressions.htm
So if you dig around everything get back to O!

Spud McLaren
1238728.  Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:25 am Reply with quote

There's an asterisk missing.

If you mean "arsehole", I'd never use that as an insult. I have one and I find it really rather useful. And its output is worth far more than some people's utterances.

Bondee
1238733.  Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote

Bobtuse wrote:
How do you call someone an a**hole to their face?

You're an arsehole.

ZoeybeGreen wrote:
So if you dig around everything get back to O!

As in "Oh, for fuck's sake!!! Why are we self-censoring ass?!"

suze
1238738.  Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
There's an asterisk missing.

Those who are unfortunate enough to be taught by me are told not to use asterisks in this way.

Philip Larkin did not write "f**k" in This be the verse. Accordingly, I do not expect to see "f**k" when I read essays about it, and I do not expect to hear "eff" in classroom discussion of it.

A now-retired former colleague did expect these things, but I consider them dishonest.

ali
1238744.  Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
I am trying (and failing) to see a link with 'O-series'.

An arsehole/asshole is fundamentally an Orifice. As a term of Opprobrium or Obloquy, it can be applied to those who are Obnoxious, Obstroberous, Odious or Obtuse. However in all these cases, it may be considered Offensive

ZoeybeGreen
1238745.  Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote

Due to the rules in these forums, I did not wish to use the whole thing as that would be against the rules. In real life, I would not use asterisks as clearly people know what they mean anyways and it is a pointless use of the shift key. Suze I also agree with you that if students are old enough and mature enough to read the works of Larkin on an academic level, then they are old enough to put the correct word in without concealing especially when this is a direct quote.

Bondee
1238748.  Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote

ZoeybeGreen wrote:
Due to the rules in these forums, I did not wish to use the whole thing as that would be against the rules.

Would it? That's me fucked then.

It's most of us fucked.

Spud McLaren
1238754.  Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote

Not to mention arseholed.

Bobtuse
1238785.  Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote

Sorry everyone... I posted to the wrong forum. I just went to the page I had bookmarked, not the top level. I was trying to come up with some witty remarks for the following photo:

I've asked the moderator to help me delete this thread. I should have posted to General Banter but for the sake of propriety, lets call this photo "O Face".

Jenny
1238845.  Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:15 pm Reply with quote

Don't worry about it Bobtuse. This can stay where it is.

suze wrote:
Philip Larkin did not write "f**k" in This be the verse. Accordingly, I do not expect to see "f**k" when I read essays about it, and I do not expect to hear "eff" in classroom discussion of it.

I started to write about my experience of poetry being bowdlerized when I was doing A level English in 1968, and then remembered having told this story before, so here it is in post 1145043.

thor214
1265079.  Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote

Stephen used "knock-hole" during the one series.

Feralcat
1278435.  Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:21 am Reply with quote

It isn't strictly following the question, but if you were called a FLYING ARSEHOLE, it was slang for a trained Observer in WW2 in the Commonwealth Air Forces and was simply a slang term for your job.

If it isn't a field of your interest, early on, Observers were trained as a navigator/bombaimer combined. Later, the jobs were split. The Observers were proud of their extra training and tended to hang on to their O with a wing symbol on their uniforms - and that symbol was obviously the reason for the nickname.

If you look up someone in the Commonwealth Air Force in WW2, with the job description of observer, you will also know he joined up earlier rather than later

CB27
1278856.  Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote

If your name happened to be Robert, and you got a B tattooed on each arse cheek, then I suppose your arsehole is technically an O.

Page 1 of 1