View previous topic | View next topic

May calls a snap election

Page 31 of 31
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31

suze
1239764.  Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
If for example, you were to stand. and since you raise it we will go with the abortion argument, I would not vote for someone else simply based on the answer to the question "do you think abortion is a 'sin'?" I would hope that you position as leader of "the suze party" you would accept that your party felt differently to you and your views are your own, not something you would put on someone else.

Yes I would.

One of the policies of the suze party would be to have as few policies on matters of personal conscience as possible. It would make no laws on what consenting adults may and may not do in the bedroom, may and may not watch on the Interwebs, may and may not do to their bodies, and such matters.

Since it was mentioned in the following post, the suze party would favour unilateral nuclear disarmament - albeit by not replacing life-expired hardware rather than by "throwing away" usable hardware - unless the experts could provide it with a very good reason not to. PM suze would never say never, but cannot conceive of any circumstance in which she would press the supposed button.

dr.bob
1240897.  Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Since then, a handful of MPs have been told off by the Speaker for not wearing a tie, and have had it made plain to them that they would not be called to speak unless they were "properly dressed".

Interestingly, this stance seems to have softened somewhat:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40446102

Strawberry
1249066.  Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote

Snap general election cost over 140m

bobwilson
1249313.  Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
suze wrote:
Since then, a handful of MPs have been told off by the Speaker for not wearing a tie, and have had it made plain to them that they would not be called to speak unless they were "properly dressed".

Interestingly, this stance seems to have softened somewhat:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40446102

Nice to see that "our leaders" are discussing the more important matters of the day.

Strawberry
1265567.  Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:35 am Reply with quote

Man due in court over alleged plot to kill PM

suze
1270016.  Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:37 pm Reply with quote

So today, Mrs May is in the process of reshuffling her Cabinet.

I'd always assumed that, much as they play out the charade for the benefit of the media, everyone involved actually knew the details a day or two ago. But this seems not to be the case, since Central Office tweeted - and then had to delete - that Chris Grayling was to be the new Party Chairman.

That's a bit shambolic of it, but in fact not a great deal has changed. The Great Offices are staying as they were, while the only notable departure from the Cabinet so far - that of James Brokenshire - is happening because he requires surgery for a lung condition, and will be out of commission for a little while.

Jeremy Hunt is getting social care added to his brief, which may not be good news. But the major speculation right now is that Justine Greening is about to be fired from Education because some in the hierarchy think she's too much of a leftie.

I haven't minded her at Education, but we'll have to wait and see if she is indeed to be fired and who is to replace her. Will it be politically damaging if Mrs May gets rid of one of only two openly gay members of her government?

Alexander Howard
1270019.  Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote

I admire Jeremy Hunt, as he has stuck willingly for many years to the worst job in Government - the position where he is blamed personally for every cataract, every cancer, every cancelled operation, every cough and cold in the country. The NHS is the national religion, and he is the High Priest who is expected to make the rains fall in due season and to keep the rivers in their courses.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Justine Greening - she is very unpopular in the Conservative grassroots for (being accused of) rolling over to every idea from the liberal left-field. As for getting any preference for her preferences, as if that made any difference, she has not always been a lesbian. If the Cabinet has to reflect the population proportionately in that respect, out of 21 members, it would need 0.32 of a gay or bisexual minister.

GuyBarry
1270022.  Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:

I'd always assumed that, much as they play out the charade for the benefit of the media, everyone involved actually knew the details a day or two ago.

Nope. You'd think they'd be given at least a month's notice, as in a normal job, wouldn't you? It's not like a new government taking over after a General Election, or even a new prime minister taking over after a leadership election. It's just the PM exercising her power of patronage - which, as I've previously mentioned, is one of the few powers she's actually got (and in the case of this particular PM, not even to a significant degree, since she couldn't sack the Chancellor, Home Secretary, Foreign Secretary or Brexit Secretary).

Quote:
But this seems not to be the case, since Central Office tweeted - and then had to delete - that Chris Grayling was to be the new Party Chairman.

Why does the Tory party leader get to appoint the party chairman, anyway? The equivalent post is elected by the members in pretty much every other party I can think of.

Quote:
That's a bit shambolic of it, but in fact not a great deal has changed. The Great Offices are staying as they were, while the only notable departure from the Cabinet so far - that of James Brokenshire - is happening because he requires surgery for a lung condition, and will be out of commission for a little while.

Breaking news: Karen Bradley has taken over. Poor old James Brokenshire - nearly a year with no government whatsoever in Northern Ireland. While I admire his patience, I have to say that he's been rather ineffectual. Can Karen Bradley manage to bang heads together in a way that he couldn't?

suze
1270026.  Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote

I don't know where Alexander gets that proportion from, since the official government estimate was that one person in 17 is non-heterosexual.

Ms Greening is either being a very long time with Mrs May, or has left by the back door. Four people have apparently entered since she did.

suze
1270044.  Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote

GuyBarry wrote:
She couldn't sack the Chancellor, Home Secretary, Foreign Secretary or Brexit Secretary.

Is there any particular reason why she couldn't? I don't think she was ever very likely to get rid of Mr Hammond or Ms Rudd, and since Mr Davis survived when many (including me and, it seems, himself) expected him to be fired shortly before Christmas he was hardly likely to be removed now. But if Mrs May had really had enough of Boris, she could have gotten rid if she'd wanted to.

We now know why Ms Greening was at No 10 for quite so long. Mrs May has removed her from Education, and offered her Work and Pensions which she has declined.

After Central Office tweeted earlier today that Jeremy Streynsham-Hunt was to be Chairman, and then had to delete that tweet because he isn't, the said Mr Streynsham-Hunt has since "liked" a BBC tweet about Ms Greening leaving the government. While I don't suppose for a moment that everyone in the Cabinet is best friends, that was perhaps a little rude of him.

The new person at Education is Damian Hinds (Con, East Hampshire). I don't know much about him, but he did not go to a state school and neither do his children. That Ms Greening did go to a state school (and also, and again unlike Mr Hinds, to a university that was not Oxford) was one of the things in her favour; the teaching sector will need some convincing that Mr Hinds knows what he's talking about.

GuyBarry
1270070.  Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:30 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
GuyBarry wrote:
She couldn't sack the Chancellor, Home Secretary, Foreign Secretary or Brexit Secretary.

Is there any particular reason why she couldn't?

Well, given that she couldn't even move Jeremy Hunt as Health Secretary, and had little success with her other middle-ranking ministers, she'd have been a fool to try. She simply doesn't have the authority that she'd command if she had a large majority.

Do Prime Ministers actually have to have Cabinet reshuffles? Given the outcome of this one I wonder why she bothered at all.

suze
1270132.  Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote

That's a fair question. If all she actually wanted to do was fire Justine Greening, then why didn't she just do that?

The other thing I'm not entirely understanding concerns the aforementioned Jeremy Streynsham-Hunt. How does a middle ranking minister get to say "No" when the Prime Minister says she wants to downgrade him?

If I tell a member of my team that she'll be teaching a particular class next term, she doesn't really have the option to say "No". Mrs May is several dozen grades further up the hierarchy than I am, so why did she stand for it?

Now, coming back to Ms Greening. Alexander Howard may not consider her departure damaging to the government, but the New Statesman does and even Conservative apologist Laura Kuenssberg does.

Can Mrs May really afford to lose a minister who grew up in the north of England, who went to a provincial university, whose constituency is in London rather than the Home Counties, and who also happens to be a woman, gay, and under 50. That's an awful lot of demographics who might just take it as evidence that the Conservative Party is "not for people like us".

Quite apart from which, Ms Greening was also a fairly noisy Remain supporter - and her constituency voted strongly Remain, so she has a very clear mandate to be one. She couldn't do it while in Cabinet, but might she now sign up with the Clarke/Grieve/Soubry brigade? The arithmetic gets scarier by the minute for Mrs May if she does.

cnb
1270134.  Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:

Quite apart from which, Ms Greening was also a fairly noisy Remain supporter - and her constituency voted strongly Remain, so she has a very clear mandate to be one. She couldn't do it while in Cabinet, but might she now sign up with the Clarke/Grieve/Soubry brigade? The arithmetic gets scarier by the minute for Mrs May if she does.

That issue may be why she didn't fire Hunt, who was also a Remainer before joining May's cabinet.

Page 31 of 31
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31