View previous topic | View next topic

Qi Scoring

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

so-many-men
71656.  Sat May 27, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote

I'm am an idiot, I admit!
but can some one please explain the scoring system to me?
thanks in anticipation!

suze
71658.  Sat May 27, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote

Well I'm not sure that it's ever been explained in full detail.

But the gist of it is

1. Points for right answers.
2. More points for saying something interesting whether or not it's the right answer.
3. Minus points for giving an obvious-but-wrong answer - these are anticipated in advance, and it's set up so that when one is given there are flashing lights and klaxons and someone - usually but not always Alan Davies - gets minus points.

The production team wander in here from time to time so could probably give you a better answer, but that's the basics.

barbados
71675.  Sun May 28, 2006 1:20 am Reply with quote

I'm assuming that you are a little confused because of what you see on the telly.

If that is the case you need to bear in mind that what goes to air is roughly a third of the entire show. Just to give you an example, during series B Anneka Rice was on and consequently won her show, apparently saying hardly a word. During the filming she was actually quite good, however with every other word being the "C" word, almost anything she said was unbroadcastable. There are also other areas of the show that don't make it to air because they are basically uninteresting in the end. They then get referred to in later parts of the show and for continuity need to be edited out. All of these things go towards making the final scores.

Other than that, it's as above

eggshaped
71683.  Sun May 28, 2006 3:51 am Reply with quote

Just to quickly extend the above replies, it's usually minus 10 for a klaxon-forfeit and 1 or occasionally 2 points for a correct answer. Stephen will sometimes also hand out points for things he percieves to be especially interesting.

As Barbados says though, you will be unable to follow the scores in a 30 minute show as many scoring comments end up on the cutting room floor. In fact, it's almost impossible to follow the scores while you're watching the full show. I think that the seemingly arbitrary points system is great, the panellists like to play on it, though I can vouch for the fact that it is completely fair.

(or at least equally unfair to all contestants)

djgordy
71686.  Sun May 28, 2006 4:29 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
during series B Anneka Rice was on and consequently won her show, apparently saying hardly a word. During the filming she was actually quite good, however with every other word being the "C" word, almost anything she said was unbroadcastable.

Presumably it would have been broadcastable if she had saved it for series C.

swot
71710.  Sun May 28, 2006 9:18 am Reply with quote

Or maybe series X.

gerontius grumpus
71719.  Sun May 28, 2006 9:46 am Reply with quote

Anneka Rice used to be in a programme where they did some kind of community project to a tight schedule. One of these was putting up a footbridge across the river Camel in Wadebridge.
A friend who lived in Wadebridge told me that her husband had taken a day off work to go and see if he could see Anneka Rce.

I just think that's so desperately sad. I would have gone into work on my day off just to avoid Anneka Rice.

swot
71792.  Mon May 29, 2006 8:45 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
A friend who lived in Wadebridge told me that her husband had taken a day off work to go and see if he could see Anneka Rce.

Maybe he wanted to see the tracksuit close up.

gerontius grumpus wrote:
I just think that's so desperately sad.

Ditto.

Jenny
71814.  Mon May 29, 2006 9:21 am Reply with quote

Could this cause for overwork in the editing department account for why she hasn't been invited back?!

Cab00se
99455.  Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote

My mum and dad where going to be on "The Treasure Hunt" on Channel 4, but unfortunately I was born and they couldn't take part. :)

Twopints
99467.  Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:01 pm Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
...during series B Anneka Rice was on and consequently won her show, apparently saying hardly a word. During the filming she was actually quite good, however with every other word being the "C" word, almost anything she said was unbroadcastable....

No, no, no, no, no, no, no! I won't have such horrid things said about the lovely Anneka. She would never say the word "Crap" (I assume that's the C-word to which you refer).

**fingers in ears** Lalalalalala not listening, still not listening lalalalalala.

On a related note,

Quote:
On June 9, 2006 it was announced that Challenge Anneka would return to our screens. The hit show will make a move from BBC to ITV, but it is unknown at which date and year it would return.

I used to love that show, I wonder if it will be as good as I remember or whether it will be a bitter dissapointment.

liddylou
1142871.  Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote

[quote="suze"]Well I'm not sure that it's ever been explained in full detail.

But the gist of it is

2. More points for saying something interesting whether or not it's the right answer.
3. Minus points for giving an obvious-but-wrong answer - these are anticipated in advance, and it's set up so that when one is given there are flashing lights and klaxons and someone - usually but not always Alan Davies - gets minus points.

The production team wander in here from time to time so could probably give you a better answer, but that's the basics.
[/quote]

in fairness, in series 9 episode 2 even steven fry says that nobody knows or understands the scoring system :')

Jenny
1142882.  Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums liddylou :-)

14-11-2014
1143352.  Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote

liddylou wrote:
suze wrote:

in fairness, in series 9 episode 2 even steven fry says that nobody knows or understands the scoring system :')

At least one person knows the scoring system.

Or more than one. During this episode they were almost amazed by the fact that Bill Bailey scored three points before the first question, but the number of suze's points for his derived type of right and QI answers/remarks is three.

QI S01E05, Stephen Fry wrote:
So you're right, but for the wrong reasons, for which you get three points.

Hence Bailey's three points, and you could have known and understood why.

verguts
1145743.  Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:48 am Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to follow the scores during the show?
We would see where the show is edited, but it also happened in "have I got news for you".

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next