View previous topic | View next topic

Why is referencing a previous topic funny?

Page 1 of 1

dstarfire
1227402.  Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote

The panelists frequently reference a previous topic as some sort of joke.
For example, in S13E04 (towards the end) when asked "After you die, what's the last bit of your body to stop beating?" Alan instantly pops back with "The internal portion of the clitoris" which they'd been talking about a few minutes earlier in the episode. That episode, in particular, is full of these backreferences.

It's most common with Alan, but I've heard almost all the guests do it at one point. It seems as if the joke is simply to link it back to a previous topic.

I know standup comedians often do this at the end of their show, to sort of bring the audience back where they started from, but that's usually done as the twist/punchline of a joke rather than a joke on it's own.

crissdee
1227425.  Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:15 am Reply with quote

dstarfire wrote:
I know standup comedians often do this at the end of their show, to sort of bring the audience back where they started from, but that's usually done as the twist/punchline of a joke rather than a joke on it's own.

Given that the whole show, to some extent, is a five person standup gig, I imagine its just an extension of the same principle.

PDR
1227437.  Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:45 am Reply with quote

It's the concept of the "running gag".

PDR

GuyBarry
1227451.  Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:00 am Reply with quote

Because, for me at least, comedy is very much about making unexpected connections between things.

dstarfire
1227529.  Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
It's the concept of the "running gag".

PDR

That actually makes a lot of sense.

I'm glad to discover it's just a standard tactic being executed poorly (and too often) rather than some new form of comedy that's utterly insensible for ordinary folks.

Page 1 of 1