View previous topic | View next topic

More deadly than the hippopotamus...

Page 1 of 1

brucefountain
1226789.  Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote

In the (wonderful) Book of General Ignorance the question is posed "which african mammal kills more humans than any other?". The answer provided is "the hippopotamus", which is a lovely answer but I can state fairly confidently that it is incorrect. I mentioned this to a friend who hails from South Africa and he responded as follows:

"A Hippopotamus cannot not use an AK-47, but given that limitation, they still do the best they can. This is surely the most one could ask of any decent mammal".

Bruce from Australia, which has an unfair reputation for having dangerous animals. I mean, none of our indigenous fauna eat people. Except crocodiles I suppose. And sharks.

Jenny
1226800.  Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote

I think you may be right there. According to https://africacheck.org/factsheets/factsheet-south-africas-201516-crime-statistics/ "In 2015/16, 18,673 murders were recorded." According to https://www.thesouthafrican.com/south-africas-top-10-deadliest-animals/ the deaths from hippo attacks in the whole continent of Africa are approximately 2900.

So - well quibbled, and of course it should say 'non-human mammal'.

Alfred E Neuman
1226801.  Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote

Meanwhile in Africa, we usually hear that it's the mosquito.

Jenny
1226807.  Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote

Mosquitoes are not mammals, IIRC.

PDR
1226824.  Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote

Perhaps he was confusing them with arabs - an easy mistake to make due to their adjacency in the dictionary...

:0)

PDR

Alfred E Neuman
1226843.  Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Mosquitoes are not mammals, IIRC.

I suppose if I'd read that properly, I'd have noticed that bit :-)

gruff5
1227530.  Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
... the deaths from hippo attacks in the whole continent of Africa are approximately 2900.

Strewth! If asked to guess the number (whole continent) I might have said a hundred or so.

Sharks kill about 10 people a year worldwide, on average.

Falling coconuts, about 300.

Fear the coconut, be v scared of the hippo, but don't fall for the Jaws hype.

brucefountain
1227582.  Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

Well I am definitely more likely to be killed by a shark than either a hippopotamus or a coconut. Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Alfred E Neuman
1227587.  Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote

I'd be more concerned about the drop-bears if I were you.

gruff5
1227699.  Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote

brucefountain wrote:
Quote:

Well I am definitely more likely to be killed by a shark than either a hippopotamus or a coconut. Lies, damned lies and statistics.

Where I am (Philippines, Palawan) the risk order is coconut>shark>hippo. The locals are very aware of the risk and often suggest to me that I stand somewhere else other than under a coconut tree. There will no doubt be many, many more serious injuries from coconut drops than there are deaths.

Are you a surfer in southern Australia or similar, Bruce? If not, coconut might still be more likely than shark (if you ever go to the tropics on holiday).

brucefountain
1227705.  Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote

Not wanting to contribute to the shark hype, but death by shark is bound to be underreported. It only counts as a shark attack if there is a witness. If someone goes surfing alone and never comes back all we can do is speculate.

Possibly the same is true of hippo attacks, but coconut assaults are easier to diagnose.

PDR
1227709.  Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote

brucefountain wrote:

Possibly the same is true of hippo attacks, but coconut assaults are easier to diagnose.

If that was true you'd see far more coconut prosecutions, surely?

PDR

Bondee
1227859.  Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote

The authorities could issue a Bounty.

Page 1 of 1