View previous topic | View next topic

Living next to burglars

Page 1 of 1

Peeeeeteeeee
1226000.  Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote

There was a question in a recent episode (Series N) about who would be good to live next to. It was said that burglars are good to live next to because they are not likely to break in to there neighbors. This is very wrong.

I have only had my house broken into once and they lived across the road from me. Before they were caught they had burgled over one hundred houses, all no more than one km from where they live. They were actually caught in the act two houses away from where they live, in the house, for the third time in six months. This has become common. Burglars are lazy.

14-11-2014
1226763.  Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:13 am Reply with quote

Quote:
It was said that burglars are good to live next to because they are not likely to break in to there neighbors. This is very wrong.

Better may have been a better word, but in general it's a fact. Two houses away isn't next to anymore, but that's perhaps too strict.

A generic reason why it's not good, are the activities during the night when the quantity of stolen goods (and matching stolen vehicles) starts exceeding usual levels.

Lazy ones will get caught more often than careful ones. In a way your single case was showing that.

RLDavies
1227657.  Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote

It also depends on the burglars. Professional crooks are likely to go farther afield and choose their targets carefully. But a lot of burglars are disorganised opportunists who will try their luck simply because they happen to be passing by and see a possible chance. If you live near them, they're going to be passing by a lot.

crissdee
1227695.  Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote

On the theme of burglars.

A local paper is running a headline about a gang of burglars leaving chalk crosses on the driveways/paths of insecure houses.

Reading the article you find that;

Some households have found these marks on their property.

Some households have been burgled. Since they don't explicitly state otherwise, we must assume that there is no correlation between subsets 1 and 2.

Some households with the crosses have washed them away and not subsequently been burgled. This is hardly proof of.....anything really.

suze
1227716.  Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
A local paper is running a headline about a gang of burglars leaving chalk crosses on the driveways/paths of insecure houses.

Local newspapers short of content have been running stories about chalk crosses outside houses since Time Immemorial.

Sometimes it is said to mean "Don't bother, nothing worth stealing". Sometimes it is said to mean "Don't bother, the people will not deal with tinkers at the doorstep". In a bygone age, it was sometimes said to mean "Go to the back door looking pathetic and the servants will feed you", and so on.

At different times and places, a chalk cross may have meant some, none, or fewer of these things. It may also have meant nothing at all, and been drawn by some scallywag who wanted you to think it meant something. But in the modern world, it's most often drawn by someone working for a utility company to indicate the location of non-visible infrastructure.

Spud McLaren
1227730.  Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
... in the modern world, it's most often drawn by someone working for a utility company to indicate the location of non-visible infrastructure.
They're less likely to use chalk than a particular sort of spray paint, though.

'yorz
1227731.  Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote

Cucumber time, obviously.

Peeeeeteeeee
1227745.  Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote

They also robbed the house next to them. It was just that they broke into the house two houses away 3 times.

Peeeeeteeeee
1227748.  Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote

Maybe it is different in New Zealand but the information on QI did not specify a certain country.

Most house burglaries in New Zealand are done by someone who lives near. Some move house often. You can often tell where they lived and when if you get the burglary stats for a city.

Bondee
1227860.  Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote

Am I the only one who sees the title of this thread and thinks, "Who the FOOK is burglars?!"

Spud McLaren
1227862.  Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote

It's made me rethink the (somewhat abysmal) Smokie hit of yesteryear, I'll admit. I didn't remember the later, alternative version.

Last edited by Spud McLaren on Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

'yorz
1227863.  Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote

Reminds me of David Berglas. Not that many people will remember him...
(Illusionist who once drove a car through London - blindfolded)

dr.bob
1227870.  Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote

Anyone can do that.

It's the not-hitting-stuff that's the tricky bit ;-)

'yorz
1227876.  Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote

Ah yes - should have included that bit of info - no-one was hurt in that exercise. And no streets were cordoned orf. :-)

Page 1 of 1