View previous topic | View next topic

THE B SERIES: FEEDBACK

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Frances
11974.  Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:36 am Reply with quote

Going back some posts to the 'Kingdom of Fife'; Scotland used to be a collection of small kingdoms, under kings called 'righ', one of whom was the 'ard righ' or 'over-king', a sort of first among equals. King Duncan, killed by Macbeth though not as a certain English writer describes it, was an 'ard righ'. Macbeth himself was the next, then Duncan's son took over again, and the system fused with the feaudal system which was just then coming in with William the Conqueror, of primogeniture and all that jazz.

The Kingdom of Fife was one of the last to be assimilated, to become an Earldom, but the name lingers on. In Scots tradition, the Earl of Fife had to set the crown on the king's head at a coronation or it wasn't a legal proceeding. I believe they had a three-year-old infant crown Robert the Bruce, his tiny hand held by his aunt, as her brother the original earl had been outlawed for supporting the Comyn claimant to the throne and refused to assist the Bruce.

Incidentally, that's why the ruler of Scotland is called 'King (or Queen) of Scots', not of Scotland. The land is all owned, apart from the actual royal estates, by the lords and people of the country. When King David gave away many of the crown lands to the church he was impoverishing his own family in future years - 'a sair saint for the crown'.

Mary, Queen of Scots, was financially much poorer than several of her wide-landed nobles. That's one reason why she failed. If she hadn't inherited an income from her mother, a French duchess, she'd have been penniless in England - and since her banker was in the pay of Queen Elizabeth's spymaster, Francis Walsingham, she was in trouble anyway.

Flash
11984.  Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:32 am Reply with quote

The thing about the Bruce's coronation is interesting. Frances, is it the case that Fife maintains some kind of status as a separate kingdom, or is that (as someone else posted) a sort of local joke?

JumpingJack
12011.  Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:05 pm Reply with quote

Is it true that Robert the Bruce was actually Robert de Bruis, a Norman?

His family originally landed with William the Conqueror, it says here.

s: DCF A Dictionary of Common Fallacies by Philip Ward

Massingberd
12022.  Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:55 pm Reply with quote

Michael Lynch writes of:

Quote:

...the flood of 'Norman' families recruited by successive kings of the twelfth century from David I onwards[...] Some, like the family of de Brus (coming from the village of Brix near Cherbourg) were indeed Norman, but most were drawn from a concotion of English, Breton, French, Picard or Flemish and their chief attribute was their obscurity.

Scotland: A New History

JumpingJack
12028.  Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:29 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Massingberd.

Frances
12150.  Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:26 am Reply with quote

No, Flash, the 'Kingdom' title is just a faint echo of things long past and far away, it has no legal validity nowadays that I know of.

Flash
12165.  Sun Dec 12, 2004 6:10 pm Reply with quote

Ta. So much for that question, then.

Flash
13016.  Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:33 pm Reply with quote

Massingberd wrote:

He's probably sick of the question but is Howard Goodall any relaion to Sir Reginald?

Sorry, I forgot to get back to you on this. He's no relation.

Massingberd
13034.  Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:39 am Reply with quote

Thank you. it was kind of you to ask.

brackett
16208.  Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:15 am Reply with quote

QI HAS BEEN NOMINATED FOR TWO BAFTA AWARDS FOR THE B-SERIES.....

Entertainment performance:
Ant & Dec - I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here
Stephen Fry - QI
Paul Merton - Have I Got News For You
Paul O'Grady - The Paul O'Grady Show

Lew Grade Award for entertainment programme/series:
Friday Night With Jonathan Ross
I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out Of Here!
QI
Strictly Come Dancing

Natalie
16210.  Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote

Wow!! It is sure to win, although it has some stiff competition between that and Friday Night with Jonothan Ross (no pun intended).

Jenny
16215.  Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote

No contest, surely....

laidbacklazyman
16216.  Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:58 pm Reply with quote

Just glad it's not up against Little Britain, Matt Lucas and David Walliams appear to be the new Ricky Gervais.

On a side point, Howard Goodalls 20 century Greats has also been nominated along with Mark Steel (seies B debutant) for his Lectures and a regular member Bill Bailey's sitcom Black Books has also received a nomination

Natalie
16246.  Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:28 am Reply with quote

I agree about the Little Britain thing, they always seem to win. Although I'm glad Matt Lucas and David Walliams aren't Ricky Gervais - he really gets on my nerves.

All those other nominees mentioned are very good too - particularly Black Books.

pleasantlydifferent
18708.  Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote

i dont think Matt Lucas and David Walliams are very good..or very funny...i think the point is that the programme tackles social issues in britain today, and thats why people like it, because its got things like disability and teenage pregnancies and racism etc...racism and fake disability being sometimes taboo subjects.

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next