View previous topic | View next topic

Better than qi

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

'yorz
1224063.  Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote

There's always the off-button or the remote control; watching is not obligatory.

Gayroller2000
1224070.  Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote

I like poo jokes.

I also find that the poo jokes are funnier with more women. Now that QI has more women, it's more funnier. (scuse grammar)

Ray
1224137.  Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote

I like them both, but recognise they have very different characters as shows. I feel the Fish team are more 'my people'.

Peeeeeteeeee
1226006.  Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote

I generally like both. QI can be really good with the right combination of guests. Were as, No Such Thing As A Fish is more reliably entertaining as it has pretty much the same people every time. I did like Stephen Fry better as the presenter though. I think they were right a few years ago when they said everyone laughs more at males.

Spud McLaren
1226150.  Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote

Peeeeeteeeee wrote:
... everyone laughs more at males.
Not sure how to take that ...

PDR
1226157.  Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
Peeeeeteeeee wrote:
... everyone laughs more at males.
Not sure how to take that ...

Story of my life, mate...

PDR

Jenny
1226178.  Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote

I have to disagree - I think Sandi is every bit as good as Stephen was. We just laugh at PDR anyway.

Peeeeeteeeee
1226195.  Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote

Sorry but you can not disagree. You can say you think Sandi is every bit as good as Stephen was but that is not disagreeing with my statement that I think Stephen Fry was a better presenter.

Peeeeeteeeee
1226197.  Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote

Sorry that should have said: more people are more likely to laugh at males than at females.

cornixt
1226309.  Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote

But at least part of that is due to the way that people perceive women differently to men, not due to women being less talented.

PDR
1226311.  Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
We just laugh at PDR anyway.

Again, story of my life...

PDR

PDR
1226312.  Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote

Peeeeeteeeee wrote:
Sorry but you can not disagree. You can say you think Sandi is every bit as good as Stephen was but that is not disagreeing with my statement that I think Stephen Fry was a better presenter.

Only in the sense that she is not suggesting that you think otherwise. That's not how that particular language construct is usually used.

In normal English usage if you say "I think Trump is intelligent" and I respond with "I think Trump is an idiot" then I would be described as disagreeing with you (as well as being right, of course).

PDR

Peeeeeteeeee
1227750.  Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote

I was just pointing out that may statement was a personal opinion.

I assume you are talking about Donald Trump. The man (roughly speaking) who convinced millions of people to be in charge of there country. Even with everything he's done. Not to mention, his fantastic people skills. Not to say that he is likely to score high on any IQ test but I don't think I would agree that he's an idiot.

And no.....I can not think of anyone worse to present QI than Donald Trump. If you can....let me know.

Alexander Howard
1228185.  Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote

We have a perfect guidebook to disagreements of course. (In the text, "lie" means "refutation" not "falsehood") -

Jaques: But, for the seventh cause; how did you find the quarrel on the seventh cause?

Touchstone: Upon a lie seven times removed:—bear your body more seeming, Audrey:—as thus, sir.
I did dislike the cut of a certain courtier’s beard: he sent me word, if I said his beard was not cut well, he was in the mind it was: this is called ‘the retort courteous.’
If I sent him word again, it was not well cut, he would send me word, he cut it to please himself: this is called the ‘quip modest.’
If again, it was not well cut, he disabled my judgment: this is called the ‘reply churlish.’
If again, it was not well cut, he would answer, I spake not true: this is called the ‘reproof valiant:’
If again, it was not well cut, he would say, I lie: this is called the ‘countercheck quarrelsome’:
and so to the ‘lie circumstantial,’ and the ‘lie direct.’

Jaques: And how oft did you say his beard was not well cut?

Touchstone: I durst go no further than the ‘lie circumstantial,’ nor he durst not give me the ‘lie direct;’ and so we measured swords and parted.

Jaques: Can you nominate in order now the degrees of the lie?

Touchstone: O sir, we quarrel in print; by the book, as you have books for good manners: I will name you the degrees. The first, the ‘retort courteous;’ the second, the ‘quip modest;’ the third, the ‘reply churlish;’ the fourth, the ‘reproof valiant;’ the fifth, the ‘countercheck quarrelsome;’ the sixth, the ‘lie with circumstance;’ the seventh, the ‘lie direct.’

All these you may avoid but the lie direct; and you may avoid that too, with an ‘if.’ I knew when seven justices could not take up a quarrel; but when the parties were met themselves, one of them thought but of an ‘if,’ as ‘If you said so, then I said so;’ and they shook hands and swore brothers. Your ‘if’ is the only peace-maker; much virtue in ‘if.’

Peeeeeteeeee
1258464.  Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote

I would now have to say that No Such This As A Fish is better than QI. It is about to do something that QI has never done. Something I did not think it would do......I'll give you a clue. "I'm from New Zealand".

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next