View previous topic | View next topic

Oxford and Cambridge

Page 1 of 1

Alexander Howard
1223098.  Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:15 am Reply with quote

There must be endless things to say about Oxbridge (as opposed to Uxbridge).

Both universities used to claim ancient foundations (Cambridge claimed to have been founded by King Offa or King Sigeferth or someone to claim precedence over Oxford, even though it was actually created in 1209). Claiming a Roman foundation could go one better. It was not until 1410 that any other university appeared in the English-speaking world (St Andrew's; all right, in the English-and-Inglissch-speaking world).

There was once a railway line between the two cities; the service was nicknamed "the Flying Student". They often talk of reopening it, though at the Cambridge end at least the line has been built over in the city, and outside part of the track has been used to mount radio telescopes.

eyesofages
1224915.  Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote

I am not sure if it is obscure enough, as I grew up near it and you remember a house that has a shark sticking out the roof, but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Headington_Shark.

'yorz
1224917.  Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote

That link leads to nowhere.

suze
1224924.  Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote

Delete the full stop at the end of the URL, and it works.

I think there's another one somewhere. Anyone know where?

swot
1224950.  Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:32 am Reply with quote

I've not seen a shark coming out of a building, but I saw an icecream sticking out of a building in Cologne last year.

'yorz
1224960.  Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:03 am Reply with quote

'yorz
1224962.  Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:15 am Reply with quote

crissdee
1225006.  Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:33 am Reply with quote

That's some REEEAAALLLYYYY good glue there!

Spud McLaren
1225028.  Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:16 am Reply with quote

There must be some small mileage in the abbreviations, Oxon being Oxford, Dunelm being Durham rather than the homeware shop, and Cantab being, not Canterbury, but Cambridge.

eyesofages
1225286.  Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
That link leads to nowhere.

It is just the full stop but:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Headington_Shark

'yorz
1225304.  Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:50 am Reply with quote

Yes, suze already pointed that out a few posts up. :-)

charliemic
1246310.  Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:37 am Reply with quote

Alexander Howard wrote:

There was once a railway line between the two cities; the service was nicknamed "the Flying Student". They often talk of reopening it, though at the Cambridge end at least the line has been built over in the city, and outside part of the track has been used to mount radio telescopes.

Aren't they re-opening it? Eventually... quite slowly... with many modifications.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_West_Rail_Link

tetsabb
1264560.  Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:19 pm Reply with quote

I believe there was mention of this in Hammond's latest Budget. If resurrected, it might include a stop at Bletchley Park. Indeed, it was the existence of the line from Oxford to Cambridge that made Bletchley the preferred location for Station X in WWII.

suze
1264651.  Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote

The existing Bletchley station is scarcely ten minutes walk from Bletchley Park, and the existing railway line from Bletchley to Bedford is to form part of the proposed East West Line.

Apart from a few chords to connect existing lines in ways that they are not currently connected, the only new piece of railway will be a line from Bedford to Sandy. It will be expensive to build, not least because it will have to cross the A1, and so far the government has spent eleven years failing to decide precisely where to build it.

Awitt
1265085.  Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote

Sounds like my (Australian) state Govt. which changes every 3-4 years after elections anyway and then to show they're better, the new one shelves or intentionally poo-poos plans from the previous one.

A road linking two main freeways called the East-West link was shelved, after houses in a street were compulsorily acquired because they were in the way.

40-something years and still counting and my city does not have a direct airport rail link.

Page 1 of 1