View previous topic | View next topic

Naval Navigation gravity

Page 1 of 1

B1GP7
1222395.  Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote

Most astronauts in space are not actually in zero g/no gravity, actually quite alot of gravity, and stations like the ISS are in a constant freefall

djgordy
1222431.  Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote

Ok:

1. The kick referred to is always, so far as I am aware, called a "dolphin kick". I do a lot of swimming and I have never heard it called a fish kick . Fish tails move from side to side but dolphins and whales move up and down in the same way as humans move their legs because our spines only go that way

2. An Englishman did not invent the kilt. There are two types of Scottish kilt. The one we are most familiar with, also called a filibeg (sometimes philibeg), or little kilt, may well have been invented in the manner suggested. However, there is another type of kilt called the great kilt which is, essentially, two blankets sewn together, wrapped around the waist with the loose end thrown over the shoulder. This predates the little kilt and was not invented by an Englishman. So, the "invented by an Englishman" thing only works if you specify the little kilt.

djgordy
1222451.  Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote

Whilst I think about it, the fish/dolphin kick isn't even a stroke. There are three strokes recognised in swimming: backstroke, butterfly and breast stroke. In these there are rules laid down by FINA, the recognized governing body, as to what the competitor may and may not do.

Now, there is an event called "freestyle", in which people usually swim front crawl. However, in individual events*, competitors may use any stroke they like. There are no rules governing how the stroke may be made. There is no actual definition of "front crawl" so it is not, strictly speaking a recognized stroke. So the answer to "what is the fastest swimming stroke?" would be "butterfly'.

When I went to swimming competitions there was a lady who swam freestyle events using breast stroke. She always won the gold medal. This was not become she was any good at it; the events were split into classes by gender and age, each age bracket was 5 years. It just so happened that she was the only female in her age bracket.

*In medley races "freestyle" means "any stroke other than breast, back or butterfly",

Ian Dunn
1222456.  Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote

When Sandi talks about the three most oddly titled books, were those choices just her personal opinion or did someone else say that those three were the most oddly titled books ever?

I know that all of the books she mentioned won the Diagram Prize, but in their last "Diagram of Diagrams" in 2008, to name the most oddly titled book out of all the winners of the prize, the most oddly titled book ever was Greek Rural Postmen and Their Cancellation Numbers, which Sandi said was the second oddest.

Ian Dunn
1222576.  Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote

Concerning the eyeball tattoos mentioned in the XL version, I know of at least one reason why someone has done it. One American tattoo artist named Luna Cobra had their eyes tattooed blue as a reference to Dune.

Source: BBC News

Olinguito
1222654.  Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote

Kilts were already talked about in the H series.

Page 1 of 1